View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coins Forum is Lacking.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:07 pm 
born to perform.

It may just be me, but I feel that the coin forum is lacking.

There are rarely new posts, rarely new comments, and rarely new anything in this forum.

I think this bugs me because I am a coin worker and I am not receiving the fellowship, comments, and talk of other coin workers.

I guess this is a call to all loyal coin workers. Lets get this forum going! And talking about more coin work. I will aid in this by posting some strings about some of my own routines, gaffs, sleights, etc. And I ask everyone to do the same.

Farewell and Goodbye. And keep up those sleights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:50 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
I agree with you Astinus. My routines are 90% coins as well, and this forum is lacking. Here's a couple of things on my mind concerning coins:

1. I just bought the Johnson magnetic copper-silver set (I think you and I commented about this on some other forum). It's great, $50 well spent. There is no substitute for Johnson precision and quality. Of course, I had to get it from a source other than Penguin because they only seem to deal in.... "Sterling"... I hate even typing that word, The quality of Sterling is consistently horrible.

I came up with about 5 new routines the first day I had the set, mostly tranpositions type effects. I came up with one that's slaying everyone I do it for. A coin appears to slowly and very visully melt through a sealed envelope and into their open hand. Plays strong at the bar.

2. I also got China Town half (Johnson). Great effects there too. I customized the gimmick to suit a wider range of effects (I don't like the window envelope routining... it's a little lame if you ask me). I used it for several effects the same night that I received it, small crowd that night, but they loved it. The Chinese Imperial coin catches everyone's attention. Simple, easy, my kind of effects.

3. Chazpro magnetic coins are a horrible and tragic waste of money.

I'm relatively new to gimmick coins, only about a year or so of experience, but I'm liking them more and more all the time. Most of my effects are done with striaght coins and sleights, but adding in the gimmicks in the right quantity and order really adds a spark to the routines, and the performance in general.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:11 pm 
born to perform.

Astinus, I am a lurker on the coin forum not because I am not interested just I have no experience yet. That is all about to change because I just got Ammar's intro to coin magic. I had been reading Bobo's book but put it down out of frustration but now I have the visual that I think I needed and also found a link to a study guide outline to get through Bobo's book. I will start a thread with the link and if for some reason it gets deleted, anyone can feel free to send me a pm. Also I wanted to plug Ammar's Intro to coin magic, I only got through the first of three parts last night and practice a couple of effects at my desk today at work and then showed a couple of people and they were amazed. Coin magic is great and people love seeing money vanish and produce. I will do a full review soon for it.
Wade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I love coins too. Gimmicked coins have fascinated me for many years. In the past I've had a lot of Johnson Products stuff.

Recently I found a US source for the American version of Coin Unique (Half Dollar/Quarter). I ordered it but haven't received it yet. When I get it I'll post my thoughts on it and possibly do a review on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

Was it Eddie Gibson Frijjid?

I am glad I am not the only coin manipulator in the Penguin forums. I think we three can make up THE TRIUMVIRATE OF COINAGE!

I think we may be the only 3 with extreme experience in this field.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:18 pm 
Penguin

Astinus,
Sure hope you can get something going.
I love coin routines but still at the beginning stages.
I'm learning from Reed Mclintock, Dean Dill and have David Roth 1,2 & 3 coming on Monday.
I notice the coin boards are all somewhat slower than other boards.
Sometimes the Coinvanish board goes a day or two without a single post.
I love all types of manipulation and have been on overload for the last month watching videos, dvds etc...
My practice is coming along great though.
Best wishes to all
Nick Zender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:01 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Astinus wrote:

No, I didn't order it directly from Eddie or a UK site, I found a US dealer in North Carolina that sells the American version. His price is a little higher than what Eddie sells it for, but with it being local (US) it cuts down somewhat on shipping charges and the long wait for something to come across the pond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:55 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
Frijid_Pink wrote:
Astinus wrote:

No, I didn't order it directly from Eddie or a UK site, I found a US dealer in North Carolina that sells the American version. His price is a little higher than what Eddie sells it for, but with it being local (US) it cuts down somewhat on shipping charges and the long wait for something to come across the pond.

I'd really be interested in getting that dealer's info. I heard a lot of good things about coin unique, and was dissappointed to read that it was supposedly discontinued in the US. Could you throw me a PM with the website or phone number?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:33 am 
born to perform.

wildstone wrote:
Frijid_Pink wrote:
Astinus wrote:

I'd really be interested in getting that dealer's info. I heard a lot of good things about coin unique, and was dissappointed to read that it was supposedly discontinued in the US. Could you throw me a PM with the website or phone number?

Yeah, me to if you don't mind. I want to pick it up sometime in the near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

wildstone, Astinus... I PM'ed you guys with the link...enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:47 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Frigid. The illustrations really sell the product. I'm going to order it myself, but I'll wait until you post your thoughts on it... just to be safe. Thanks again for the info.

If you don't already have it, I'm giving the magnetic copper/silver that I mentioned in a previous post my highest recommendations. You too Anstinus. I've been playing with the set all day, and there's literally about 20 seperate and different routines that can be done, that cannot with a regular S&S, or even with the Johnson Ultimate Copper-Silver set. Not to mention being able to reset without a bang ring. I know C/S routines are commercial, but there are some really amazing tweaks that the magnetic set brings to the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:11 pm 
Penguin

I got antsy and tried to buy Coin Unique from that source that you gave us Frigid, but the last three were bought last week (thanks a lot man :)

Seriously though, I ended up buying it from the british source for a few $ less. I'm not sure how 5 pounds translates into US dollars, but that was the shipping charge. I should see that sometime next month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:23 pm 
born to perform.

Did you get the brittish version or american?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:47 pm 
Penguin

The American version. I didn't even see an option for the British version. If I had, I would have considered getting it just because it's different and would stand out more than a quarter and a half.

Oh well. It was $55 and change BTW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:35 pm 
Emperor Penguin

wildstone wrote:
I got antsy and tried to buy Coin Unique from that source that you gave us Frigid, but the last three were bought last week (thanks a lot man :)

Hmmm...I must have been one of the last 3! :)

Speaking of versions, I beleive there are 3 versions available...

1. The American version (HalfDollar/Quarter)
2. The British version (Pound?/Penny?)
3. There's also another American version called "Miracle Coin" made with a Sacajawea Dollar/Quarter, and sells for a few bucks less.