View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:45 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
Yeah, I've seen the miracle coin on a few different sites, but I'm not really big on the gold dollar coin (I won't even attempt to spell Sacajawea). I started to think about effects with the half/quarter set when I read your first post about it. More to the point, I was story boarding how it could be used as an opener to vanish a "signed quarter", and then work into a copper silver, using the magnetic C/S set, finish that off with a coin thru whatever (I've been playing with small manilla envelopes lately), repeat the coin thru, but after the copper "melts through the envelope", the spectator opens the envelope expecting to find the half again, but instead there's the signed quarter. Let me ask you, does the coin unique carry enough magnetism when assembled to hold a steel core english penny in place through the back of a manilla envelop? Or would I have to make a switch to the shell/insert from the magnetic copper silver set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:00 pm 
Emperor Penguin

wildstone wrote:
... Let me ask you, does the coin unique carry enough magnetism when assembled to hold a steel core english penny in place through the back of a manilla envelop? Or would I have to make a switch to the shell/insert from the magnetic copper silver set?

Since I don't have it yet I have no idea of it's strength. It's possible that it's strength might be limited because of it's locking feature. I'll let you know as soon as I get it. I've also been chewing on similar possibilities...like how it reacts to the Raven, The Bat, the Pro PK and other coins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:23 am 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
Well, the magnetic C/S set works well with the Pro PK, as far as flipping the shell & insert when they are joined, and making the SC English penny stand up in the hand, but the weight of the SC English penny makes it not so great for the raven. I'd assume that would also be the case for the Coin Unique when it's assembled. Also, I've had little success with magnetic coins and the raven. If you get the poles lined up incorrectly, the coin goes flying instead of sticking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:37 pm 
Penguin

Hi guys, this is my first post, as I did not have access to a computer since ordering from Penguin last year. Man, I've been missing out in term of ideas and reviews! Well, I went straight to this forum because I am an aspiring "coin worker" and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. Question for Wildstone: I recently bought the Johnson Magnetic Silver-Copper from my local dealer (paid a pretty penny - $66!). I love the gimmick, and started using in place of my Scotch & Soda. The only drawback is that the coin is not as inspectable. You could easily rotate the insert in the shell, and the insert is not as flush meaning it "wiggles" when pressing on the coin w/ you fingers. Does this happen with your set?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:54 am 
Penguin

jliwag wrote:
Hi guys, this is my first post, as I did not have access to a computer since ordering from Penguin last year. Man, I've been missing out in term of ideas and reviews! Well, I went straight to this forum because I am an aspiring "coin worker" and there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. Question for Wildstone: I recently bought the Johnson Magnetic Silver-Copper from my local dealer (paid a pretty penny - $66!). I love the gimmick, and started using in place of my Scotch & Soda. The only drawback is that the coin is not as inspectable. You could easily rotate the insert in the shell, and the insert is not as flush meaning it "wiggles" when pressing on the coin w/ you fingers. Does this happen with your set?

Welcome to coin central Jliwag. This forum has picked up a lot lately, thanks to Anstinus and Frigid, and a few other coiners like you and I. As for the magnetic CS set, yes, my shell and insert fit the same as yours does. However, I have never liked handing gaff coins out for examination, I do it occasionally, but I never like to. The benefit of the magnetic set is that it requires no pressure to assemble the shell and insert, this means that vanishes and changes happen instantly without the funny, white-knuckled hand movements that you get with a regular S&S set. The assembled coin, while not closely examinable by a spectator, does allow you to show it fairly from all sides and angles, and you can put it right in a spectator's face, as long as they don't grab it, because it looks perfectly normal. I usually keep either a cup on a table, or a coin purse when I'm standing, that I throw my coins into when I finish an effect, so the gaff half dollar gets lost in the crowd of other coins. Also, having a container with assorted coins and gaffs makes the switch between effects (when you need to switch from real coins to gaffs, or vice versa) more natural and believable.

One last thought, the Ultimate Silver & Copper set by Johnson is a great companion to the magnetic set. Ult. S&C is like an S&S set, only much better for several reasons, and looks exactly like the magnetic set. Get that, start with it, then transition into magnetic set for effects that are moredesigned to use the magnetic features. The first part of your performance, using the Ult. S&C, all can be examined, so milk that until you switch to the Magnetic set, which can be shown, but not touched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:25 am 
Penguin

Oh yeah, I have a review of Ultimate Copper & Silver posted on my website if you want to take a closer look at it.

http://www.dmimfg.com/demoreview.htm

<><> SunDragon Magic <><>
www.dmimfg.com/magicsupplies.htm

"Question Reality... Create Illusions"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:40 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Hey Guys....I just received my Coin Unique in the mail yesterday. Give me a few days to toy with it and I'll post my opinions and impressions and maybe post a Review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:49 am 
Penguin

I can't even get the Brits to send me a confirmation e-mail that my order for CU was received. They charged my card, so I can only assume that mine is on its way as well.

Since it's coming slow boat from across the pond, I'm sure you're review will be up before I get it. That'll be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:23 pm 
Penguin

Wildstone, thanks for the feedback. That was a pretty in depth review of Johnson's Ult C/S on your site, and it does make sense that it will compliment my Magnetic C/S (let alone that the effect by itself is darn good). I'm fortunate that my local dealer sells Johnson coins. The only drawback is they usually charge about $3~$10 more, depending on the price. But hey, it's the price I pay for being able to get a live demonstration from the in-house magician and inspect the quality of the product. My first set was a Johnson Dime/Penny. Virtually undetectable from a real penny (except for the "clink" sound w/ other pennies). I was able to choose from several sets for the one w/out imperfections. Same w/ the Magnetic C/S. Too bad Penguin doesn't sell Johnson, otherwise I'll be buying from here simply for forum access.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:33 pm 
Penguin

Frijid_Pink wrote:
Hey Guys....I just received my Coin Unique in the mail yesterday. Give me a few days to toy with it and I'll post my opinions and impressions and maybe post a Review.

Frijid, can't wait to read your first impressions (hopefully a review :D ). This is one I'd "like to get" but not yet a "need to get". Plus it's a little on the pricey side ($55 at another site).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:07 pm 
Penguin

jliwag wrote:
Wildstone, thanks for the feedback. That was a pretty in depth review of Johnson's Ult C/S on your site, and it does make sense that it will compliment my Magnetic C/S (let alone that the effect by itself is darn good). I'm fortunate that my local dealer sells Johnson coins. The only drawback is they usually charge about $3~$10 more, depending on the price. But hey, it's the price I pay for being able to get a live demonstration from the in-house magician and inspect the quality of the product. My first set was a Johnson Dime/Penny. Virtually undetectable from a real penny (except for the "clink" sound w/ other pennies). I was able to choose from several sets for the one w/out imperfections. Same w/ the Magnetic C/S. Too bad Penguin doesn't sell Johnson, otherwise I'll be buying from here simply for forum access.

I have a few sources for Johnson products, but mainly I've used the same one (actually, not the source that my website links to). I'd like to be able to see the actual product before buying, but my supplier has never sent me anything that wasn't in perfect condition. And yes, Ultimate C&S is a great stand-alone effect. I do a routine that involves vanishing the copper, it reappears in my closed hand, transpose the copper and silver, then show how it works if the other coin is selected, which ends in another vanish and reappearance in my empty hand. couldn't be done without the Ult. C&S set, and it absolutely blows people away. The effect that I mention on my site (Eventual Copper/Silver) couldn't be done without it either. I swear by that set. Actually, I just recently bought a second, and have been playing around with what can be done with two-handed change routines. I'm calling it "Sudden-death, double elimination". Where I do two seperate tricks for two spectators at once, having one try to guess what's in my left hand, and the other, what's in my right. It needs work and scripting, but so far so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

My review of Coin Unique is now up...

http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=44557

Enjoy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:06 am 
Penguin

Well guys, I got my Coin Unique from our good buddies in the UK. Let me tell ya all about it...

1. It is the British version (pound and penny), not the US half/quarter version that the website so proudly and redundantly displays. It's obviously the small penny that came out after the fall of the large copper pennies that we all use all of the time. The pound is slightly larger than a nickel btw.

2. The coins look like they've been in circulation since around 1970 or so, and just turned into a coin unique last week.

3. The supplier, knowing that I'm in the US and am SOL, refuses to respond to my flurry of e-mails asking for a replacement. I've sent 4 or 5 so far, having received the product on Saturday. Not a single response as of yet. I called yesterday, but with the five hour time difference, it's "challenging" trying to get someone on the phone. No luck there either.

All in all, I got fairly screwed on this particular purchase. I'm still looking for a US Coin Unique, if anybody hears of any sources, and I've got a British version for sale, really cheap, if anyone wants it :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:13 am 
Penguin

All right, I've had time to cool down a bit, and I had a couple thoughts...

1. (unrelated to Coin Unique) Get Johnson's sun and moon coin - You can do the nicest little copper silver transportation with it and a regular half. Repeatable, both sides of coins can be displayed to audience before and after each transposition, no reset required. It's slick, and short money for the effects that you get. A fairly complicated routine comes with it, but I streamlined it down to just a really simple & visual effect that's sooooo easy to do you wouldn't believe it.

2. Since I'm stuck for life with the British pound Coin Unique, and since it appears that the US version is gone forever, I decided to look mine over and give it a whirl. I came up with a neat little routine almost immediately that I'm calling "Coming to America". It starts with the British penny and pound displayed in my right hand. I patter something about the beginnings of the US, and how we were under British rule. Close the hand, reopen, and the British penny has changed into an American Indianhead penny. Patter something about the colonies and Indians, etc., and then say something like "but we were still controlled by England..." toss British pound and US Indianhead penny into other hand, magic gesture, show the indianhead penny again, patter something "so we colonized america and lived with the Indians, and eventually we ended British rule and formed our own government (as I say this I slide out of my hand and into view not the British pound, but an american quarter (or nickle, either works out... depends on who you like better, Jefferson or Washington). The pound has vanished! Finish by saying something like "but England didn't just dissappear, we worked together and became allies..." (at this point, the pound "rematerializes" in the open, empty left hand).

Hows that for coping skills in the face of a crappy purchase?
Comments? Criticisms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:15 pm 
Emperor Penguin

wildstone wrote:
Well guys, I got my Coin Unique from our good buddies in the UK. Let me tell ya all about it...

1. It is the British version (pound and penny), not the US half/quarter version that the website so proudly and redundantly displays. It's obviously the small penny that came out after the fall of the large copper pennies that we all use all of the time. The pound is slightly larger than a nickel btw.

2. The coins look like they've been in circulation since around 1970 or so, and just turned into a coin unique last week.

3. The supplier, knowing that I'm in the US and am SOL, refuses to respond to my flurry of e-mails asking for a replacement. I've sent 4 or 5 so far, having received the product on Saturday. Not a single response as of yet. I called yesterday, but with the five hour time difference, it's "challenging" trying to get someone on the phone. No luck there either.

All in all, I got fairly screwed on this particular purchase. I'm still looking for a US Coin Unique, if anybody hears of any sources, and I've got a British version for sale, really cheap, if anyone wants it :evil:

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear they sent you the wrong one! But try to be a little patient! Like you said, you only just received it Saturday, it's only been a few days, so with the time difference and their pattern of responding to e-mails, hopefully it may still work out. Keep on pluggin'. If all else fails you could always sell this version to at least get back some of your money until you can find an American version.

Another thought, you could always get the Sacajawea Dollar/Quarter version...it seems to be more readily available than the Half version.