View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: another raven post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:10 am 
Penguin

i have great things about the raven effect. it is definately excellent visual magic. but, from what i've read on here, it seems you must be wearing certain articles of clothing. without exposing the effect's secret, what do you need to be wearing? (i understand if this question can't be answered due to exposure) i also saw in one of the reviews, someone claimed it took about 30 minutes to set up the trick. does it really require that much preparation? i'm wondering how much hassle this effect involves and if it's really worth the money. thanks alot! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:21 am 

That depends on your ability with the gimmick. When I first started using it, I wore long sleeve button up shirts. I worked it into a short sleeve button up shirt, down to a t shirt with my jacket tied around my waist, and now I can perform it with no shirt, and black jeans. It just depends on your comfort level and ability with the gimmick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:27 pm 
Penguin

thanks for the reply. does anybody else have something to say about it??
:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:16 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
Dude... no offense, but the raven comments, advice, criticism, and everything else Raven has been done to death. When you buy it and look at the Raven forum you'll know what I mean. I guess we're all pretty much talked out about the Raven at this point.

I'll tell you this though:

It is worth the money
It does not take 30 minutes to setup
You can wear almost anything you want once you get good with it
and...
I almost never use it... Not because it's not great, but because there's more to most routines than vanishing a coin (or changing it into a small coin, or whatever you else you change it into). I work with coins almost exclusively, and my routines, while quick paced, require a little more than, "here's a coin... now it's gone...viola!" The Raven produces a very strong visual vanishing or change effect, but there's not a lot more you can do with it after that. If you want a vanish that slays people, and that's about it, the Raven is the best thing you'll ever buy and use. But if you want to do routines that are a little more involved, spend your money and time on learning the sleights and moves.

BTW, I'm not saying that the Raven is a one trick wonder, it really is a great utility tool, I'm just saying that the raven by itself isn't much of an act. For instance:

I use the Raven to vanish a borrowed signed quarter, which I rematerialize at the end of my time with that particular spectator. Obviously, the borrowed quarter isn't also coincidentally a steel core or magnetic coin, so I need to switch in my own, and a good deal of sleight and misdirection is required in addition to the Raven to pull off the effect. The Raven in this effect is nothing more than a tool to combine a visual vanish with a dupe ditch. About 30% of the power of the routine comes from the Raven vanish, the other 70% comes from the spectator finding their coin under their drink or napkin at the end.

To sum up, Raven good, not an end-all, drop dead effect by itself, but a very useful tool when combined with good old fashioned magic.

Well, I guess I wasn't totally talked out about the Raven after all.

<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>
"Question Reality... Create Illusion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

elimin8or23 wrote:
That depends on your ability with the gimmick. When I first started using it, I wore long sleeve button up shirts. I worked it into a short sleeve button up shirt, down to a t shirt with my jacket tied around my waist, and now I can perform it with no shirt, and black jeans. It just depends on your comfort level and ability with the gimmick.

no shirt??!?!!? MAN!!! That has got to hurt!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:08 pm 
Penguin

yeah, i was kind of skeptical when i posted a raven subject. i was on here reading through the posts, and a good portion of them were very raven. i realize it's like beating a dead horse, i just had a few questions about it. but thanks alot, you answered them and gave me some extra information that is helpful. thanks alot! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:27 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
No problem. I'm pulling an all-nighter at work, watching software load, trying to shoot a vid of me doing the flying shuttle for Kazuko with a 30fps digital recorder, so I had the time to throw my 2 cents in, needless to say.

Have you ever tried to record a fast move with a camera that only goes up to 30 frames per second? It looks like absolute garbage. I need a better set up.

I hope I didn't sour you on the Raven, I was just trying to be honest. It really is a very visual and strong vanish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:58 am 

Scorpio wrote:
elimin8or23 wrote:

no shirt??!?!!? MAN!!! That has got to hurt!!!

The one time I went shirtless, I went to a pool party with a friendand was wearing jeans. I used the belt loop method, and I also had a long sleve t shirt tied a little high around my waist. It worked ok, but I dont think it is very practical.