View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are the differant types of scotch and soda,
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:58 pm 
Penguin

What are the differant types of scotch and soda,
and does anybody know where i could find them,

Just one more thing wich ones is the best?

Cheers! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:17 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
Standard Scotch-n-Soda sets:

Sterling - US half dollar & Mexican centavo - Quality=fair, price=about $14. Available from Penguin and just about any other magic dealer.

Sterling - Dime & Penny. Same as above, except a US dime and penny. Price=about $5

Johnson - US half dollar & English penny - Quality=excellent, price=about $22. Not available from Penguin (I couldn't find it anyway), but is readily available at most other well-known dealers.

Johnson - Dime & Penny. Same as above, except a US dime and penny. Price=about $14

Modified Scotch-n-soda sets:

Johnson Ultimate Copper & Silver - US half dollar & English penny (three coin set, shell, insert, & extra penny) - Quality=Excellent, price=about $29. Not available from Penguin, but is available at select magic dealers.

Johnson Magnetic Copper&Silver set - US half dollar & English penny (four coin set, shell, insert, & 2 extra pennies) - Quality=Excellent, price=about $50. Available from select dealers.

That's all the standard and modified sets that I know of. There are other sets that are similar, such as Hopping Half and Gold & Silver, but are not technically S&S sets.

~SunDragon~
www.dmimfg.com/magicsupplies.htm

"Question Reality... Create Illusions"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:20 pm 
Penguin

Location: ... the halls of Valhalla. Where the fallen warriors awaken, and the brave shall live forever.
BTW, I have a brief review of the Johnson Ultimate Copper&Silver set on my website if you want to read it. There's also a description of a couple sample routines that I perform using the set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

There is also many variations of Scotch and Soda.

Vodka and Orange Juice is a great one involving the gold dollar and quarter.

This one is very unique and virtually never seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:01 pm 
Penguin

I forgot about one. Anstinus, do you like the gold dollar version of S&S? I personally never really liked that coin. The size bugs me. I have no trouble palming a quarter, or a half, but that dollar coin never sits right for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:18 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Astinus wrote:
There is also many variations of Scotch and Soda.

Vodka and Orange Juice is a great one involving the gold dollar and quarter.

This one is very unique and virtually never seen.

There's also "Rum and Coke", touted as the "giant sized" Scotch and Soda, made with an Ike Dollar and a 50 Centavo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:32 pm 
born to perform.

Scotch and Soda
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and OJ
Rum and Coke
Dime and Penny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:16 pm 
Penguin

wow thanks guys/girls, i had no idea there are so many, i think ill try the normal stirling ones off penguin first whille i am still a begginer.
thanks for all the replys.
i only posted this topic today, and got loads of responses, :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:29 pm 
born to perform.

I like the gold dollars, I don't use them a whole lot, but they fit will in my hand.

I don't have Vodka and Orange Juice, but have been thinking of making that purchase in the future.

Post subject: Magnetic Scotch and Soda???
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:20 am 
Penguin

Wildstone, I really like your website and your comments...Really great stuff! :D

I have the regular scotch and soda, but wanted to know what you guys mean when you call one brand "ok" and another brand "excellent?" What exactly makes it so? I think I might have an idea, as to me my set is sort of tight and doesnt lock together as smoothly (quietly) as I'd like...

This magetic version??? Is it a better set to do scotch and soda with? Is it quieter...locks quicker without that giveaway squeeze/pinch you have to quickly do??? Let me know your thoughts and keep up the great work on your website dude.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:43 am 
born to perform.

I do have the Millennium Switch, AKA Vodka and Orange Juice. Here's the review I wrote about it: http://www.penguinmagic.com/discuss/vie ... highlight=

Robert V Frazier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:48 am 
Penguin

MB217:

Thanks for the props on the web site... I try to keep it as interesting as I can.

By "regular scotch-n-soda", are you referring to the brand that Penguin sells? If yes, that's a Sterling product, which I have my issues with, but, in general, they make a decent product for the price. The scotch-n-soda set they make is probably one of the better products from them. However, the issue with the 20 centavo coin being a fake has always bugged the @#$% out of me. The main difference in the quality of coin sets is the just that, quality. A sterling set is good, the workmanship is fair. A Johnson set (which I love) is much better, the workmanship and precision are superb, and finally you get to the BIG bucks (Right Rob!?!) of custom made gaffs, like from Todd Lassen or Jamie Schoolcraft. I paid a small fortune for my Chinatown set from Todd, but it was worth every penny. At that level the quality is so high that I've actually had spectators hold the gaff (silver side up) in their own hand, and not realize the coin wasn't real.

As far as the Magnetic Copper & Silver set from Johnson goes... it's the best. Between that and their Ultimate Copper & Silver set, I haven't used a scotch-n-soda set in like 5 years. The mag set resets instantly (even during a performance) no bang ring needed. I assemble and disassemble it as many as 4 times during a card penetration routine that I do.

It can be shown to, but not held by the spectator... unless you do a ditch & switch... then you're good to go!

Best,

Mike

<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>
"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
http://www.dmimfg.com/magicsupplies.htm

Last edited by wildstone on Wed May 19, 2004 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: What are the differant types of scotch and soda,
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:04 am 
Emperor Penguin

liamdoakes wrote:
What are the differant types of scotch and soda,
and does anybody know where i could find them,

Just one more thing wich ones is the best?

Cheers! :D

http://penguinmagic.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=49992

Post subject: Thanks WildStone, Plus...;)
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:14 pm 
Penguin

Man, you should write a book...:) Your thoughts on magic from performance to supplies is thorough and complete. You might want to take an assist or two from Astinus and Frigid Pink...Dark and mysterious types, but these dudes got it going on too. There are experts and then there are masters. Those that can do it well are experts...Those that can do it all are masters, recognized or unrecognized.

Appreciate the thoughts of you experts and masters, in a place where only you all know really who is who and which is which.

Abbydabby (Thanks :) dude. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:19 am 
Penguin

Also, if you're an english gentleman, such as myself (well, mabye not gentleman...) Then there's Coin Unique (a £1 coin and a 1p coin), that's really good. The only downsides are that it's about £30, which is about $50 US :shock: . The other thing is that SOOO many people acidently spend them (The most expensive chocolate bar they ever bought!).

Also, if you have the cash, order from Kueppers custom coins, where he'll make you a Scotch and Soda from pretty much any two types of coins.

Can't make a link to the site, but go onto google, type in 'kueppers custom coins' and click on the first hit.