View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Have you read Bobo's Modern coin magic?
How can you not read it? 41%  41%  [ 30 ]
Yes I have read it. No really! I have! 26%  26%  [ 19 ]
*Fart noise* who was that? 34%  34%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 74
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:02 pm 
born to perform.

May I ask you guys which Modern Coin Magic book you are talking about? There are two: Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo Book (http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=535) and New Modern Coin Magic book JB Bobo (http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=6570).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:21 pm 
born to perform.

i've read the chapters on concealments switches vanishes and sleeving, basically everything on moves that are universal and can be used in more than one trick. Then every once in a while I go through and find a trick or two.

-connor- 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:48 pm 
Penguin

I've read it cover to cover many times.

I agree that most of the people who talk about it haven't read the darn thing because they're constatly saying stuff like "that's in bobo's" when it sure isn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:59 am 
Penguin

i havent learned all the tricks yet, but i scanned through the book skipping the sleeving and cuffing and tried most of the tricks at least once, now i have started going over each one in depth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:10 pm 
Penguin

I've read it a bunch of times. And I'm always referencing it when I need to learn something.

I've owned two copies because the first one wore out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:30 am 
Penguin

As someone who performs almost solely with coins I have read it many many times. I read it every few months to find if my perception of the book has changed. It never does. Excellent beginner resource no doubt but i can say you would never find me performing anything in this book other than a copper silver transposition and a quarter half transposition, both modified with a few variations.
In my opinion, any true coin worker moves far away from this text as they progress leaving behind this "bobo's is the greatest coin book ever" dribble that so many people spout.
Again it is an excellent beginner resource, but i will have to leave it at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:37 pm 
Penguin

Absolute greatest coin manipulation book ever. Be it for reference material or first-time coin workers, this is an amazing text. I strongly recommend this to everyone who hasn't yet read it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:51 pm 
born to perform.

obi5967 wrote:
Absolute greatest coin manipulation book ever. Be it for reference material or first-time coin workers, this is an amazing text. I strongly recommend this to everyone who hasn't yet read it!

Yah, I'm getting it mostly for reference material. I've already ordered it and I'm waiting for it to come in the mail. I'm still iffie about if I should have bought that because I already have In the Beginning There Were Coins which is a DVD that teaches the most important sleights of coin magic, some tricks, some routines, and then pro tips to help my coin magic become better.

When I just started magic, I went into card magic and got Born to Perform Card Magic, which also teaches the most important sleights of card magic. And I've always thought that learning the most important sleights of some type of magic is better than buying like a book or DVD that teaches a million different sleights because, you're probably not going to use all of the sleights.

And then when I started coin magic, people were like,
"Get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. You don't know coin magic until you have that book 8) ."
And so I'm just like,
"Uuuh... Ok, I will give it a try and see if it's really worth knowing a whole bunch of different sleights. And it's only about $10.00 too so, I guess I'll give it a try..."
So now I am waiting for my Modern Coin Magic book to come in and then I will see if it's worth it.

I hope you guys are right :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:35 am 
Penguin

There is a section in the beginning of the book that lists several sleights. There are definitely some you will probably never use. Back palming anything less than a half dollar can be tricky and kind of painful... especially with dimes... =\ But the detail on every trick... and the illustrations make the book excellent. Bobo kind of filtered out the hundreds of sleights you'll never use and left the most important ones in that first section, and the majority of the book is dedicated to the tricks and manipulations. Each tricks has a detailed description, some with multiple methods, most with suggested patter, and almost all with angle advice and performance tips. There's just no way or excuse to not have this book. =)

Post subject: Re: Who here has actually read bobo' coin magic?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:42 pm 
Penguin

YIFL wrote:
Who here has actually read bobo' coin magic? I've been looking through the forums, and it doesn't seem like many people have actually read the thing.

I've read it. Not like a novel, but more like a text or reference book, by section. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:23 am 
Penguin

Read it cover to cover then bought the DVD set and find myself going back to the book more often than not for referance. A must have even if you own the DVDs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Google521 wrote:

Quote:
May I ask you guys which Modern Coin Magic book you are talking about? There are two: Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo Book (http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=535) and New Modern Coin Magic book JB Bobo (http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=6570).

Ok to answer your question and others, the Dover softcover (carried here at Penguin) and the hardcover edition are the same up to Chapter 17. After that the Hardcover contains 4 additional chapters. Here is a link to the softcover table of contents:
http://www.lybrary.com/modern-coin-magic-p-120.html

And this is a link to the Hardcover table of contents:
http://magicref.tripod.com/books/bobocoin.htm
Hope this helps not only you but others that may have been wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:59 pm 
Penguin

Aside from the extra chapters, are they the same book? I'm wanting to get one, but I wouldn't want to get the "new" version if it doesn't contain all of the original stuff on top of new stuff. I'll get the new version if it's just a bigger/better version. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:07 pm 
born to perform.

qaesyan wrote:
Aside from the extra chapters, are they the same book? I'm wanting to get one, but I wouldn't want to get the "new" version if it doesn't contain all of the original stuff on top of new stuff. I'll get the new version if it's just a bigger/better version. :)

Yes, it's a 1-up from the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:11 pm 
born to perform.

I went to a magic shop yesterday and they had the BIG version of this book. It was printed later with four more chapters. I only have the small one.

The guy told me that with these books you need to read one trick - the whole thing and sign your initials at the beginning of the trick.

Then practice it twelve times and after that, write your initials at the end of the trick.

Then, you need to perform the trick twelve times to strangers and you circle the initials. If you mess up on any of the twelve times, you have to start over.

He said this is how he teaches his students. I now know that this is the way to "actually read" bobos modern coin magic.