View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:14 am 
born to perform.

cardblind wrote:
DaveV wrote:
There are several good ways to hide a TT other than on the end of your thumb.

Is it against the rules for u to tell me?

Modern Coin Magic - J. B. Bobo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:20 pm 
born to perform.

It really bugs me when someone asks a legitimate question regarding TT color and people have nothing more to offer than a flippant, "if you do it right, color doesn't matter." I'd be willing to bet that most of those who arrogantly state such things could not properly perform anything but the simplest of TT effects with a bright, unnaturally-colored TT without either flashing the TT or holding their hand in an obvious, unnatural manner that draws suspicion.

It's a matter of personal preference. Perhaps the person is new to TT magic, (if you are, then I suggest painting a cheap one neon purple or something and performing in a mirror or on camera until you can perform well without getting caught - then work on more bold techniques and worry about matching skin color), and wants a bit of confidence or coverage that a better-matched TT would provide. Perhaps they're a seasoned TT veteran who can manage not to get caught by other seasoned TT users but who want a bit more naturalness and freedom in their movements. Maybe it's just a personal preference that has no reflection on their performance at all. In any case, if you can't say something other than and arrogant-sounding, "it doesn't matter," then I would suggest you offer no commentary at all. Your information doesn't provide handling tips and won't change the mind or actions of new or veteran performers. You're just tooting your own horn without having to prove that you can follow your own advice.

All that said to the nay-sayers, snooty people and those thinking their probably more talented and important than they really are, I would like to offer an answer from my experience and point of view in regards to the original post:
The French-made "Fredi-Up" TT offers a variety of sizes and colors to choose from and is absolutely the most realistic-looking TT you will ever find at that price. They are a bit pricey; but if your budget, individual style, personal preference (for whatever reason), or performance content warrants the use of an accurately-colored, custom-sized and very realistic TT, then those Fredi-Ups are the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:23 pm 

I've used Fredi-Ups. I agree that you won't find a more natural looking TT at that price. However, they're horrible for things like bill switches. The textured rubber interior will "grab" anything you put in it. They're very soft, so if you use them for liquid vanishes you might run the risk of making a small "fountain" if you get nervous and squeeze it too tightly.

I don't claim to be an expert enough to get away with a flourescent TT, but when people say color doesn't matter, they're absolutely right. Nobody will be paying attention to it anyway unless you really screwed something up.

Normal TT handling will expose a brightly colored one every time, so don't believe these "experts" who say otherwise. The ones who can truly get away with that are using techniques not usually taught for TT use (hank ball, dye tube, et. al.). TT's were invented for a reason. That is to make the handling more natural. Take advantage of that, but don't obsess over color. As long as it's "close" that's all that matters.

The "soft" Vernet is the best all around TT and won't cost you $40. It has a slight rubbery feel, is more opaque than the hard plastic ones, and works well even for money tricks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:37 pm 
born to perform.

I remember when Chris Capehart lectured for my club he did a basic, but entertaining, vanishing silk. The TT he was using was very different from the color of his skin, but it went completely unnoticed. It was a lesson for people who need a TT the EXACT color of their skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:50 pm 
Team Penguin

I just bought a hard Vernet TT for 3 bucks at a magic shop. 4 years, thousands of times used and still works fine. It's very worn and barely looks like a thumb anymore, but I have only been caught a few times. Oh, and if you are using one and they catch you, do what is taught on Tom Krzystof's Go Pro Volume 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:02 pm 
born to perform.

chteo wrote:
Color matters ----> YES.

Having a correct TT color acts as a safety feature in case you accidentally flash. It also gives you more leeway by allowing you to deliberately and momentarily flash the tip and escape detection, due to its "invisibility".

Color DOESN'T matter ----> YES

Because as a rule, a TT should NEVER be seen by your audience. Its always behind some cover naturally. That's why people say you can use a neon TT with a Mickey Mouse sticker. And it does not even need to look like a thumb!

Yes get a Vernet TT (hard/soft, your preference). Bang Bang Bang for buck. I like the hard.

OR if you REALLY want to look cool... Paint it BLACK!!!

All Kidding aside, get Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic :
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=912

Personally I find all the info is useful, plus you get to hear Darwin go " GONE!!!" and ..." YEAH!!!".. pretty goofy :-)

101 Tricks with a TT is also good :

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=193

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

DaveV wrote:
I've used Fredi-Ups. I agree that you won't find a more natural looking TT at that price. However, they're horrible for things like bill switches. The textured rubber interior will "grab" anything you put in it.

The "soft" Vernet is the best all around TT and won't cost you $40. It has a slight rubbery feel, is more opaque than the hard plastic ones, and works well even for money tricks.

I didn't like the Fredi-Up for bill switches, either. But someone suggested I try something that worked!! I went to the Home Depot and purchased a roll of "Metal FX" contact paper. It looks like brushed stainless steel but is contact paper. It was five bucks for the roll and I'll have enough to last me the life of the TT. Cut a small strip - about a half an inch thick and an inch or so long - off the roll; enough to cover the center area along the area inside the TT on the fingerprint side of the apparatus. The contact paper adhesive, along with the grip of the inside of the TT will prevent the contact paper from sliding around, but is very easy to remove if you need to remove it. More importantly, it provides a slick enough surface that allows for a smooth bill switch. With the added realistic look of the Fredi-Up and due to the fact that it's quieter than a standard TT, it actually ends up being a good TT for the bill switch with just that little, temporary and inexpensive adjustment.

And for the money, you're right. The Vernet Soft is a very versatile TT that I am extremely comfortable with. But for smaller fingers and those with lighter skin, it may not fit into their comfort level.