View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Close-up Magic Lessons Wanted
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm 
Penguin

I am looking for someone to teach me magic. I live in the Silicon Valley, but would be willing to go to Vegas or LA for lessons. I want to learn close up magic including, but not limited to, card tricks. Any suggestions please let me know. Thanks! Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:05 pm 
Emperor Penguin

First, if I was you, I really wouldn't accept lessons from anyone on this site (with the exception of the few professionals). As for magic lessons, Jeff McBride does offer a master class. It's quite expensive though. The seven day class is $1200. So it does get costly.

Your best bet though, would be to go to a magic shop, and ask them if they know anyone. You will surely be able to get the information that you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:19 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. What I was hoping to do is seek lessons from one of the magicians that develops and sells tricks, like Gregory Wilson or Jay Noblezada, but I can't find contact info for them. Is there a magician's directory or some way to find these guys? Thanks again! Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:25 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You can contact Jay through MySpace... that's the only way I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:41 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yes, myspace would probably be the easiest way. Many magicians are on that site. However, many of them won't have time to give private lessons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:20 pm 

Definitely seek out local magic club members. Many of them would be willing to help you. Thinking you can buy lessons from so of the big names in magic is dreaming. You have to learn enough on your own before what they have to offer would even benefit you.

Jeff McBride's master class is a great example. He will video tape your show and offer advice. No show? Oops, you'd better wait a while before wasting your money.

Besides magic clubs ( www.magician.org www.magicsam.com ) your next best step is to hit your local magic shop. Don't buy tricks, buy books. Start with the Mark Wilson Course, and when you can afford it, the entire Tarbell series. If you think you want to get serious about card magic, invest in all five volumes of Card College. If you're not sure, just spend $10 and get Royal Road to Card Magic in book form. Nearly EVERYTHING ever done with cards is in there somewhere.

I live in Las Vegas, and I'd be willing to occasionally coach someone, but not until they have something to show me first. It's called "paying your dues" and we all have to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:00 pm 
Penguin

hey i can teach you for free with out driving any place far. You can email me if you want to learn cards , coins , and basic sleights. I do all types of magic but my best at close up and street . So i can teach you online from the internet. i am going to be out of town for a week so i might not respond .

email me if you want free lessons
escary@gmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:32 pm 
born to perform.

First off, don't get courses from that guy. Check his thread in the Penguin Theatre and see his skills/his ethics/how much respect he has from us already.

Second, you could have tried going to the Noblezada Weekend Workshop, but I think it's too late. You might want to try looking for lectures, because those are similar to courses. Also, look around at your local magic shop (if you have one).

Hope that helped,

~Z

P.S. Oh, and riley-dude, posting personal contact info is against the rules. Perhaps you should have read them... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 pm 

If you're willing to drive to LA, you've got plenty of options. Go to Dean Dill's shop and ask his advice. I'm sure he'd know who to set you up with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:15 pm 
Penguin

I don't know how far into Silicon Valley you live, but there's a very popular shop in San Francisco called Misdirections (http://www.misdirections.com/) Maybe hanging out there once a month, you could make some connections or some such. Just a thought.

Also there's a shop in Santa Rosa (about an hour and half north of SF on 101) that has close up magic lessons. The classes are actually fairly inexpensive. I can't remember the name of the shop off the top of my head, though.