View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: do I need a tt
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:00 pm 
Penguin

do you have to have a tt for close up work because I don't but I can shell out the money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:10 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It is not necessary, but I think many new magicians underestimate the power of the TT. It's so versatile, and there's a limitless amount of material you can perform with it. It honestly depends on what style of magic you would like to perform (obviously close-up, but do you want to perform with cards, coins, is there a certain type of effect you're looking for?), and if you think you'd like to perform with one.

Many people say it's a bad gimmick because it's "visible", and it "doesn't match their skin tone", but that's a load of BS. If you learn how to use a TT properly, the audience will never see the TT, and therefore you won't have to worry about it not matching the color of your skin exactly.

One more piece of advice: there are two main different types of TTs; soft and classic. The soft TT is made of a softer plastic that is often mistaken for rubber, and is good for vanishes and reappearances. The Classic TT is more of a harder plastic, and is better for vanishing cigarettes, and doing bill switches. However, the type of TT will not limit you to the different effects you can perform... for the most part, one TT will work for all of them.

And if you want to learn some good material, I have heard many excellent things about Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic. Check it out... it can be purchased here on Penguin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:34 pm 
Penguin

thanks who on penguin uses a tt alot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 pm 
Emperor Penguin

sier5 wrote:

Kraynik does, I know that. However, he doesn't come on here very much, and quit magic the last I heard. I am sure you could get a hold of him with a little bit of digging, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:05 pm 
born to perform.

I would venture to say over half the people here use a TT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:07 pm 

I'd say that I almost never use one. I never carry one with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

I use one regularly, and TTs are a staple of close-up magic as a whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 pm 
born to perform.

adjones wrote:
sier5 wrote:

Kraynik does, I know that. However, he doesn't come on here very much, and quit magic the last I heard. I am sure you could get a hold of him with a little bit of digging, though.
What!? C'mon who can quite magic? Maybe he's just giving it a break. Even if he did decide that he's going to let up on magic, you just wait he'll be back in a couple months or so.
To anwer the question. I woud say yes you need one. adjones basically said it. They have so many uses and you will eventually see a trick that you really want to perform that requires a TT. Plus they're only like 4 bucks or something. I say get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:44 am 
Emperor Penguin

I notice, in many of your posts you talk about "shelling" out money for this or that.... maybe you should rethink your whole mindset.

If you dont have the money dont spend what you have now. Save it up for the things you really want to learn and or perform with.

If you really Want to buy something now, get a book. Something that will keep you busy for a while. Whether it be Mark Wilsons complete course in Magic or a book thats more specific- RRTCM, Bobos, Mental Magic, TT, etc.

Now to the original question. Is a TT needed? Must you have one?
The obvious answer is No. I know plenty of magicians that dont use one in their performance. Yes a TT can come in real handy, and can achieve a lot of things- I love my TTs and FTs, and for a time I never left my house with out one.

Should you get one? Well thats totally up to you. Only you know if you will use it, only you know if you will like it. Though you wont fully know this, until you at least try it.

Post subject: Re: do I need a tt
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:30 am 
born to perform.

sier5 wrote:
do you have to have a tt for close up work because I don't but I can shell out the money

No...unless you want to do tricks that use a TT. :roll:

You can get a TT for about the same amount of money you'd spend on a deck of cards, so if you're worried about shelling out that kind of money, you'll probably be doing a lot of close-up magic involving things like rocks and lint..."Multiplying Dust Bunnies" maybe?.

FYI, last year I was at one of those "dollar store" places. I picked up a few "slum magic" sets...the kind that usually include a "Snapper" and/or a "Ball & Vase." They cost $1.50 each... and one of them came with a pretty decent TT. So at 3 tricks per set, that means I paid 50 cents for that TT.

Of course, if you are seriously destitute, you can make a TT out of some light cardboard and a couple of band-aids. :roll:

Also... as to the issue of need, I've been doing magic for 35 years and used a TT in performance for the first time last year. Now that I think about it, it wasn't even a close-up performance; it was stage work. So...it really comes down to what you actually want to perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
..."Multiplying Dust Bunnies" maybe?.

Don't dis on the MDBs, man... :evil:

But, honestly, sier5, just get one. They are cheap, and they have the potential to give you the ability to perform some of the most powerful magic in your whole arsenal.

And, personally, if you are really looking to vanish small objects (things that will fit in a TT), I recommend the Universal Pull. It can also be used as a back up (if they catch you on the TT, you can just make the entire TT vanish right before their eyes)! The Universal Pull and the TT cost about the same amount, and they both take some getting-used-to, but they are worth every penny.

(Note: if you get the Universal Pull, you will need a coat or zip up sweater, button up shirt, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

I have several TTs, stuck in bags, coats, jacketts and other places so that I have one with me at all times. Do I us one all of the time? No!, but I have one in case I want one, like for that little girl that looks said (silk from nowhere, color changing silk, vanishing silk). Sitting at the table in a resturaunt with your friends (salt vanish). These are just a couple of things that you can do with a TT.

Post subject: Re: do I need a tt
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:59 pm 
born to perform.

sier5 wrote:
I can shell out the money

Did anyone else find it funny that he referred to spending 2 dollars as "shell out the money"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:22 pm 
Penguin

adjones wrote:
It is not necessary, but I think many new magicians underestimate the power of the TT. It's so versatile, and there's a limitless amount of material you can perform with it. It honestly depends on what style of magic you would like to perform (obviously close-up, but do you want to perform with cards, coins, is there a certain type of effect you're looking for?), and if you think you'd like to perform with one.

Many people say it's a bad gimmick because it's "visible", and it "doesn't match their skin tone", but that's a load of BS. If you learn how to use a TT properly, the audience will never see the TT, and therefore you won't have to worry about it not matching the color of your skin exactly.

One more piece of advice: there are two main different types of TTs; soft and classic. The soft TT is made of a softer plastic that is often mistaken for rubber, and is good for vanishes and reappearances. The Classic TT is more of a harder plastic, and is better for vanishing cigarettes, and doing bill switches. However, the type of TT will not limit you to the different effects you can perform... for the most part, one TT will work for all of them.

And if you want to learn some good material, I have heard many excellent things about Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic. Check it out... it can be purchased here on Penguin.

Wow right on. I actually used to hate my TT because i was so pale and my TT was darker skin tone (tan). However when i used it in resturantes (dimmer lights) it became more un-noticable. Also experiment with waving your hands, hiding your TT. I finally learned how to easyly use my TT, and preform tricks with it without worrying about people finding out i have it on me). It takes practice, just practice to your family or close friends (so if they find out they wont laugh in your face and say you suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:53 pm 
Emperor Penguin

acebrawler73 wrote:
adjones wrote:
sier5 wrote:

What!? C'mon who can quite magic? Maybe he's just giving it a break. Even if he did decide that he's going to let up on magic, you just wait he'll be back in a couple months or so.
To anwer the question. I woud say yes you need one. adjones basically said it. They have so many uses and you will eventually see a trick that you really want to perform that requires a TT. Plus they're only like 4 bucks or something. I say get one.

Yup, I've talked to him recently... he's done. Oh well, if that's who he wants to be, that's cool with me... he's still awesome. I will miss his videos, though. :cry: