View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cleaning D-Lites
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:48 am 
Penguin

I just got a pair of white ones, things are a bit rough to start. You see I am of pale white skin and these are much darker then I am and to top it off they are getting dirty so now they are even darker . . . any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:37 pm 
Penguin

D'Lites for close up? Parlour and stage ok, but close up?
To clean them use a damp cloth and a bit of soap and also use the same thing on your hands before use to keep the D'Lites clean.

Post subject: thx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:49 pm 
Penguin

you bet, you see I use them at work, everyone is astounded by them I just have to make sure to move really fast other wise the color distortion gives them away. But thanks for the advise for cleaning then hope it works :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm 
born to perform.

I'm a pale white dude. My blue D'Lites are much, much darker than my natural skin tone. They're what I would categorize as "Mediterranean" in color. I use them all the time in various conditions, (stage, close-up, indoors, outdoors, in dim light, in not-so-dim light, etc.), and the method has NEVER been seen by anyone. More people are floored by where I hid the lights than you'd think and they can only guess, (incorrectly), at the method. If you perform it right and don't do it in noon-day sunlight, the only ones who will ever realize the method are those who already have them or learned from someone who purposely exposed the method to them. On a regular TT, I'd say that color matters in freedom of movement and in personal confidence level. But with D'Lites, none of that matters. They should remain out of sight unless lit and when lit, they should always be in motion; making the actual shade of the device a moot point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:09 pm 
born to perform.

Oh...and as far as cleaning goes: A toothbrush and toothpaste will do wonders in actually removing dirt and stains. If they're just made darker, however, then all the cleaning in the world won't change the color/shade of the device. For that, please see my previous post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:34 pm 
Penguin

I hate to continue a necro'd thread, but I don't want to start a new one.

To you D'Lite owners: how would these stand up to not just cleaning but serious disinfectant use? I want to use these in the ER I work in and I'm concerned about the various infectious goobers that abound in that environment. We use a kind of super disinfectant baby wipe and while it bothers some peoples skin, I'm just wondering how the plastic would hold up. Also, is there a concern with exposed wires and causing shorts in the device with liquids?

I plan on using these things mostly when I have latex gloves on, thereby creating a barrier, but there is the occasional bare handed contact.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:56 pm 
Penguin

remf3 wrote:

To you D'Lite owners: how would these stand up to not just cleaning but serious disinfectant use? I want to use these in the ER I work in and I'm concerned about the various infectious goobers that abound in that environment. We use a kind of super disinfectant baby wipe and while it bothers some peoples skin, I'm just wondering how the plastic would hold up. Also, is there a concern with exposed wires and causing shorts in the device with liquids?

I plan on using these things mostly when I have latex gloves on, thereby creating a barrier, but there is the occasional bare handed contact.

The stab wound patients would be pleasantly surprised when their doctor pulls out a toy.

You should probably take a deck of cards too, just in case they get bored of bleeding to death :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:50 pm 
Penguin

pingumagic wrote:

The stab wound patients would be pleasantly surprised when their doctor pulls out a toy.

You should probably take a deck of cards too, just in case they get bored of bleeding to death :P .

Actually it's for all the kids with cancer and brittle asthmatics that tend to spend a bit of time in the ER. I remember reading somewhere about another nurse who uses the D'Lites to "steal" the red light off a pulse oximeter. It's a nice bit of diversion for a child in a place that's loud, overly bright and (thanks to the local wine industry) there tends to be an inordinately large amount of drunk people.

The stabbing victims are chemically paralyzed and sedated, not much of an audience...plus they ruin the deck with all of those leaking "fluids"... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:46 pm 
Penguin

remf3 wrote:
pingumagic wrote:

Actually it's for all the kids with cancer and brittle asthmatics that tend to spend a bit of time in the ER. I remember reading somewhere about another nurse who uses the D'Lites to "steal" the red light off a pulse oximeter. It's a nice bit of diversion for a child in a place that's loud, overly bright and (thanks to the local wine industry) there tends to be an inordinately large amount of drunk people.

The stabbing victims are chemically paralyzed and sedated, not much of an audience...plus they ruin the deck with all of those leaking "fluids"... :wink:

Coolio, you're one of the guys who looks after kids when they come in?
I have no idea what the proper name is though :p .

Do they pick the nicest people to do that? Just wondering because I've never seen a grumpy ER worker before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:49 pm 
born to perform.

remf3 wrote:

You might want to contact the manufacturer for details on the effects the disinfectant would have; but I would assume that they would hold up pretty well.

D'Lites can be used under water; so I wouldn't worry about shorts in the device due to disinfectant liquids unless the liquid is corrosive in nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 am 
Penguin

RadioRob wrote:

You might want to contact the manufacturer for details on the effects the disinfectant would have; but I would assume that they would hold up pretty well.

D'Lites can be used under water; so I wouldn't worry about shorts in the device due to disinfectant liquids unless the liquid is corrosive in nature.

Thanks for the info! I'll try and drop them a line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:29 pm 
Penguin

sorry to necromance this article, but I thought it might be useful to tell you guys this.

Buy some "Non-Acetone Fingernail Polish Remover" and use a paper towel or cotton cloth to clean the D-Lite. Also, you can use a lighter to heat the exterior of the D-lite, then squeeze the tip to remove the LED and battery. The remover won't melt plastics or fog paints, I use it on my car, motorcycles, etc.

If you have another TT that fits your coloring better, try the assembly in it and let me know, I'm curious if that would work.

My brother, has a prosthetic thumbtip that is anatomically perfect($5000 perfect) due to an amputation. I've been considering finding some sort of fleshtone paints to use maybe to lighten the D-Lite. I probably never will, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:46 am 
born to perform.

Welcome to Penguin Town tuxedo!

The color on a TT isn't a coating so one doesn't have to worry about scrubbing it off however since the material is slightly porous it can stain.

I've soaked my, "In Your Face: The Extreme Close-up Worker's TT" in 50/50 water and bleach for 30 minutes and was able to lighten the color very slightly. Probably not enough to make a difference. It began to stain a bit but absolutely nothing that can be seen during a performance in natural light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:12 am 
Penguin

The In Your Face Hard TT is quite a light pink color btw. I don't know why there's such a difference between the hard and soft colors...