View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Good Book or DVD for getting the most out of the TT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:05 pm 
born to perform.

I have been studying Cards almost exclusively, but when perusing the Close Up forums I see a lot of people recommend the TT. I remember my dad had a magic set, and sometimes he would pull out his effects and I remember the TT was never very convincing in his hands.

I have since come to realize that almost any gaff can be made to work, depending on how it's handled, patter, misdirection, presentation... and what the effect is. So I was wondering. I really don't want this to devolve into a " Books better than DvD." Debate. I get a LOT out of Books, and I get a LOT out of DvD's... can anyone recommend 2 to 3 good books, and 2 or 3 good DvD's for best learning to use the TT?

Thanking in advance :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
born to perform.

Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic Volume One DVD Download (out of stock) $19.95
Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic Volume Three DVD Download (out of stock) $19.95
Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic Volume Two DVD Download (out of stock) $19.95

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:32 pm 
born to perform.

Bluebackedcards wrote:
Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic Volume One DVD Download (out of stock) $19.95
Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic Volume Three DVD Download (out of stock) $19.95
Darwin's Encyclopedia of TT Magic Volume Two DVD Download (out of stock) $19.95

Thanks, I will check Tannen's this weekend. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:42 pm 
born to perform.

Darwin's Encylopedia of TT Magic is not out of stock. The actual dvd is in stock and more than likely cheaper than Tannens. Though, I would certainly support a brick and mortar shop as famous as Tannens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:03 pm 
born to perform.

DVLKCC wrote:
Darwin's Encylopedia of TT Magic is not out of stock. The actual dvd is in stock and more than likely cheaper than Tannens. Though, I would certainly support a brick and mortar shop as famous as Tannens.

Not on their website, though i did notice Penguin has the 3 DVD set... I'll just order it here if they don't have it in stock at Tannens.

If anyone knows of a good set of books, i would appreciate that as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
born to perform.

World's Greatest Magic - Thumb Tips

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php? ... ts_id=2376

I have Gary Darwin's set, and I have to say I personally got more out of the L&L DVD, but that's just me.

Pretty much everything in the "101 Tricks With a Thumbtip" book is on the Darwin set... and some people would say that you might be better off just getting the book. Darwin is darn good with a TT, though... so if you want something "encyclopedic" and really feel you need to "see" not "read," Darwin's set will do the trick.

Sankey uses the TT a lot... at least, on his DVDs (I have no idea what the man uses in his "real world" work). You can't watch a Sankey DVD without trippign over a TT trick. Instead of wading your way through too much Sankey, though, consider just picking up his his "Hundred Dollar Miracles" DVD; I dont' have it, though, so I can't say if it's really all he claims it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

Darwin's Encylopedia of TT Magic DVD set cannot be beat and is a must-have for any TT enthusiast and/or anyone even thinking about utilizing that apparatus.

Alexander DeCova's "Examining The TT" DVD is also a fresh look on an old apparatus and I highly recommend that one, as well.

To supplement the video collection, (and to bring ideas or reminders of effects with you that should hopefully spark your own creativity to develop new effects), I would suggest getting Darwin's 101 Tricks with a TT book. There are other "101 Tricks..." books out there; but Darwin's is the best, with good descriptions and illustrations of the various moves and input on effects from other magicians. Stick with that one. It is thin and cheap; so it is the perfect place to start and/or is the perfect addition to the Darwin DVD set.