View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How best to care for TT?
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:43 am 
born to perform.

I have been practicing with my TT for a while, it's the " In your face" close up TT that comes with Daryl's Encyclopedia. he does nto go into detail How best to clean it etc...

I mean is regular dishwashing liquid ok? Hot water? cold water? How best to deal with the accumulation of sweat ? etc.. No one wants a stinky TT. Also germs ewwww....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:04 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I've never given it much thought ... of course I don't use mine that much.
I would think that a mild dishwashing would do the trick.
Pun intended. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:15 pm 
born to perform.

Just curious - did you get the soft or hard TT with your Darwin DVD set?

On cleaning: I would use warm, soapy water - NOT HOT. Hot water may alter the size and/or shape of the TT if it is too hot. Dishwashing detergent should work fine - inside and out. That will also remove some of the odor and germs, as they make most dishwashing detergents "anti-bacterial" now.

I have some Biblical oils - Frankincense, Myrrh and Spikenard. Back in Biblical times, they used them to dress up dead bodies to keep them from stinking. I figure if they work for odor control in a corpse, they should work in a TT. Only a few times have any of my TTs gotten funky - and that's after having performed cigarette or match vanishes. On those rare occasions, I've cleaned out the TT, then combined the Frankincense and Myrrh, (I'm personally not all that fond of Spikenard - but it came in a set), and just rubbed a drop or two of each on the inside of the TT, let it sit overnight and then washed it out, (you don't want oily, slippery TT interiors). The spices/oils overpowered/eliminated the odors and their pleasant scent remained for a couple of days after. While I don't expect that it would be easy to find Frankincense and Myrrh at a local store, any oil-based, non-cheap perfume or cologne should do the trick if the dishwashing detergent doesn't.

Here's something else: Toothpaste and a toothbrush. You should use a medium or soft bristle toothbrush even with the dishwashing detergent because the bristles get inbetween the grooves and pores of the material and work at removing a lot of dirt that may be left behind if you just soaked it or cleaned it by hand. But toothpaste works well in removing/preventing stains. If you brush the inside, then you'll have a minty-fresh TT.

As for germs, you can use rubbing alcohol or any anti-bacterial wipe/spray on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:27 pm 
born to perform.

wow, thanks for the info... awesome :-) and I got the soft TT. At least I think it's the soft, it has some give to it..Kinda flexible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:30 pm 
born to perform.

I found that - depending on the material - carrying a TT in my pocket will eventually end up staining the TT due to a transfer of the dye. This is especially true when I'm wearing jeans. Coins and other items in your pocket may quickly darken/stain your TT. One way of preventing this when carrying it in your pocket is to put the TT in a little zip-close bag. You can find little zip-close bags that are perfectly sized for a TT in a Michael's or other craft stores.

The only draw-back to this is that you must remove the TT from the bag prior to use and/or removing it from your pocket. I've gotten quite proficient in this, so it isn't a problem for me. Also, unless you need a TT to do an impromptu effect where you wouldn't have the few seconds needed to remove the TT from the bag, it is most likely a feasible and inexpensive means of carrying a TT without staining it.

...If you care. Some don't. But I have a couple of the more expensive, Fredi-Up TTs and I certainly want to protect the investment I have in them while transporting them in my pocket.

Also, Jay Sankey has an "Assasin's Pouch" on the market. All advertisements for that item show it in tan. I've never seen one that isn't black. The pouch has a TT holder on it that works very, very well for retrieval and ditching of the TT. HOWEVER, I learned early on that the black, canvas/khaki material will QUICKLY and PERMANENTLY stain your TT. Especially if you remove and replace the TT often, (and why wouldn't you - that's what it was designed for). ...Just a heads-up. If you care about staining, it may be prudent to be mindful of how and where you transport/store your TT.