View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Close-Up Pad Maintenance.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:54 am 
Penguin

Hey everyone, I'm a close-up magician primarily and I have a few close-up pads for practice/performing. I ordered a large black one (not from Penguin Magic, however, I feel ashamed :( ) about 24 x 13 or so. About 3 days after receiving it, it's all wrinkled and pretty much unworkable. I have tried ironing it with a thin towel on top, that seemed to have worked for 5 minutes before becoming an unholy wrinkle-fest again. So... I have now given it to my cats to sleep on, as that's about as useful as it can be at the moment.

Currently, I am using a very old, bright red 16 x 11 close-up pad that is VERY nice in quality, but is just too small for my Cups and Balls routine, or doing some nice ribbon spreads. I bought the Professional Green Close-Up Pad VDF from Penguin here, hoping that it just as good as my small red pad. I know, I know, I'm rambling on; here's what I want to know.

What are some tips on keeping my new VDF pad in good condition with no tearing, slipping and ESPECIALLY wrinkling, as the surface of the other one is completely worthless now. Any tips would be nice!

~Burkey

Post subject: Re: Close-Up Pad Maintenance.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:54 pm 

Rolling your pad for storage is the fastest way to destroy it with wrinkles. Some say if you roll it to do it with the fuzzy side out to reduce creases, but others claim that just hastens the separation of the top from the pad.

The best way is to just store it flat, like on top of things in a briefcase. If you can find a manila envelope that it will fit in, that'll help keep it fresh looking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:21 pm 
Penguin

Also... if you have a "fuzzy" one, you can use the cloth rollers (the sticky ones) to remove the worst, and then use a razor (the multiblade ones with a handle) to trim it. --->Almost as good as new!

(Still talking about close-up pads!)

-Widding

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:50 pm 
born to perform.

Mount it to a nice piece of wood.

Call up a woodsmith, cabinet maker etc. and ask if he has a decent scrap piece of the size you are looking for. Have it be a bit larger if you want a nice edge to show. Ask how much it would cost for him to route a nice edge around it. I wouldn't be surprised if one could be picked up for around $20-$30. Then take some adhesive spray and mount your pad.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:53 pm 
Penguin

Pattrick Przysiecki has the best pads I've seen. I just purchased a customized one from him last month. He can do embroidery with your name, logo, or website. You can see mine here.

He told me that if I was going to roll it to make sure to keep the fuzzy part on the outside. Like others have mentioned, however, he said the best way to store it was to keep it flat. I ordered mine to fit inside my briefcase when traveling from show to show. In between shows, I keep it flat on top.

I would highly recommend his services if you're looking for a nice close-up pad that looks professional.

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:49 am 
Penguin

Just a quick question,

If I wanted to get a cloth to cover the entire table, what would the best fabric be to get ?

p.s.
My close up pad died a few months ago, I miss him.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:52 pm 
born to perform.

Is it going to be tucked in or mounted? Plush felt is desirable but it doesn't drape over the sides nicely. You can cut some soft rubber or matting to put underneath and look over a selection of fabrics a fabric store that will hang nicely. You may also tuck in or mount material for your working surface and then use another material as a skirt around your table.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 pm 
Penguin

the pads used for stacks! (that cup stacking set) are fantastic. they are unlike any magic pad on the market they are thin and have nice smooth top just like a babys inner thigh. and i roll it like dutch masters

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:44 am 
Penguin

Ooo, i shall look into those.
I would rather be able to just take the cloth around without fixing up an entire table for permanent performance. But i shall consider all options.