View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1st post on the Close up section!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:02 am 

Whoo hoo! 1st post here on the close up section. What a night!

Anyway, as most of you know, this is what I do. I am a close up magician (used to be a strict card magician, but the past few years I have really branched out in close-up). Honestly, I think close-up is the #1 best type of magic there is. Period. Up close, in your face...I think the hardest of all magic types to do, not only because you got to know your stuff and do it well, but also because of the intimacy you have with your audience (and no, for all you with your head in the gutter, not that kind of intimacy :wink:). Your audience is right there, and they act in ways they wouldn't with other magic. This means not only do you have to be a performer, but a crowd pleaser, a people-person, a psychologist, and every once in awhile, a parent as well (if you're a close up performer and don't know what I mean, trust me, you will!) You really have to know how to handle the audience, how to deal with people, how to get in and out of certain situations. It's a tough job, but hey...someone's got to do it.

Though close-up is very difficult to do well, I think it's the most rewarding area of magic...as you get to be the one to bring the magic to someone, and put it into their lives. You make it personal for someone else, not just something seen at a distance or on television. You draw that little spark...that magic...out of the person, and make it alive for them. That's what I've always admired about close-up, and why I absolutely love what I do.

I hope that while people post their questions, comments, concerns, and share their stories of magic here on this forum, that everyone will remember what close up is all about. More than the moves and the practice and the psychology and the difficulties that the art of close up can be, the most important part of doing close up is to remember the "magic": that same magic you felt when you were the spectator. That special magic you felt when you saw something amazing, unbelievable, and spectacular...then remember that you're now the one bringing that same magic into someone else's life...

...and that what you're bringing into someone else's life will be pondered, talked about, and will be fondly remembered for a lifetime.

I look forward to enjoying and learning from this forum with you all! Remember to always B Magic!

Last edited by B_Magic on Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:38 am 
Penguin

I ditto that! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:05 am 
Penguin

just wandering... close up isn't almost the same with the street?

I mean... when you go do street... you do close-up
that's my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:24 am 
Emperor Penguin

nastyd wrote:
just wandering... close up isn't almost the same with the street?

I mean... when you go do street... you do close-up
that's my opinion.

True, but the original meaning of close-up was that a performer was standing or seated before a table or working surface with spectators standing near or seated with him. Street magic is just an extension of that.

The Close-up board itself is here to cover other close-up tricks that are not covered under the Cards or the Coins boards, such as Matchbox Penetration, Sponge Balls, Cups and Balls, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:10 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
Yeah thats how it used to be but know i think when its more than 8 or ten people its considered parlor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 9:22 pm 
Penguin

If you're on a stage but only have 8-10 spectators is it stage or parlor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:13 am 
born to perform.

You must be fast!