View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: No. 2 Pencil -- why such hate?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:52 pm 
Penguin

I saw this effect when i first came to penguin. i decided that i liked it and would purchase it at some time or another. there are no magic stores in my area so i have to buy from penguin...so i have to be picky with my orders. anyways, i found a magic store about 45 minutes away and decided to go up there. I saw they had the No.2 Pencil. i remembered i liked the effect and i knew how to do it.

so i bought it. i was very pleased with my purchase and the reactions i get from it. "hey..do that pencil trick again" -- people just think its neat. so why dont you guys like it? because its gimmicked? its up there for me with the Hotrod as a pocket trick. could you please state why you dont like it? just want a little discussion here. afterall, thats what the forums are for ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 12:20 am 
born to perform.

I like the #2 pencil, I think people who say they hate it don't actually own it and just dismiss it as "another paddle trick". I think it's great, and the surprise ending is cool if you do it right and it leaves you clean at the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:33 am 
born to perform.

I have it - use it - like it! Even wrote a positive review for potential buyers. Why do others hate it? Beats me! To each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 6:50 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Oh yeah? Well a 7 nation army couldnt hold me back biaaaaaaaaaaaaatch
i think that begginers hate it because they see the vid and it looks like trick photography. They dont even no what a paddle move is. A lot might also hate the switch ( even i dont like the switch ). HOwever, i saw the instructional and solved that problem. Its great, my second fav. paddle trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:25 pm 

i don't own it, but it seems better than a paddle trick because it looks more impromptu and less suspicious in the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:00 pm 
Penguin

I like the trick. I don't use it often however, just because I like other tricks more. But I have gotten some great reactions with it. It's been so long since I've read the instructions, but I remember not liking the switch. The way I would perform it I wouldn't even worry about making a big deal out of the switch. i would just finish at the point before the switch and put the pencil away. Usually someone would want to see the pencil and i would just pull out the other one and do the rest of the trick. Then I would let them examine the pencil. All in all, I think it's a great trick. Especially for a paddle trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:41 pm 
born to perform.

I have it and its not that I hate it but I felt for myself that because of the switch that I would put it up for awhile until I got a little more confidence and comfortable performing. I plan on picking it up very soon and starting to work with it.
Wade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 2:46 am 
born to perform.

I personally plan on getting it, I really liked the effect, and the finish is really a great impact, I remember when I saw the demo for the first time. It is a great idea to get as many objective opinions about quality, inspectibility, and so forth, to base a decision upon. The trick may be simple, but looks fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 12:24 am 
born to perform.

i made my own version and it works the same, although i dont own the actual trick, i like the idea and it stums audiences almost every time, i too dont see how you can dislike it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:19 pm 
Penguin

this definitely looks like "just another paddle trick" at the beginning.. but i darn near fell out of my chair at the end of the video... dont have the trick.. but i think that any close up magician should have it.. if it matches their style of course

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:51 am 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
i don't have it, but use the concept.

I write my name on the pencil in front of the specs eyes and tell them that i get tired of people stealing my pencil. then the name is on the other side, then i slide it down.

at the end, "this pencil is the property of Andy. do not use without his permission"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:05 am 
born to perform.

there all just full of hatred and anger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:59 pm 
born to perform.

Even if you do not use it often...everyone should have it in their arsenal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:59 am 
Penguin

i dont get why people like this effect you can figure it out just by watching the demo the part when oz comes back after the switch...horrible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:34 am 

magicman2113 wrote:
i dont get why people like this effect you can figure it out just by watching the demo the part when oz comes back after the switch...horrible

This is a great effect with even greater reactions! (*greater is not a word, I know) When done properly, it can fool anyone. I use it all the time. I just think Oz did not have alot of handling time with it before shooting the Vid.