View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:35 pm 
Penguin

i cant quite get mine to work it keeps messing up how do i do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:01 am 
Penguin

Without giving too much away, has anyone here had to "alter" their D-Lites to prevent discomfort & "digging in", so to speak? If so, how did it go?

Post subject: no
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:51 am 
Penguin

i fool people with my d lite

Post subject: I thought this was the Close-up Forum
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:45 am 
Penguin

D' Lite might be a good trick... but it's a Stage trick. I don't think it would be wise to use it in a Close-up performance. I might be wrong tough. I really find that the beauty of Close-up Magic is being able to use ordinary items to do tricks... and lights coming from your fingers are not my definition of ordinary. Imagine saying: "Do you have a flashing red light by any chance... I want to show you some magic." For Close-up I rely almost completely on Money Magic because it's easy to borrow from someone and do your effect with it. Of course I also do other type of effects... but tricks with coins or bills are my favorites!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:53 pm 
born to perform.

Easy trick. Watch your lighting. I usually only do mine with children or younger people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:20 pm 
Penguin

From some people's comments here it is clear they know nothing about it:

1. In a pack you always get two, though you can chose the colour you want.
2. It requires no sleight of hands but to perform it well you will require some imagination.
3. The light has to be dimmed so that it is visible and it can be done as parlor or stage. You can even use it on street work but in the evening. It is not suitable for close-up.
4. There are other products you can buy to make the effect more interesting like ears and lips.
5. If you search around you can even pick up a bag where you keep the lights you pluck and then when you rip it open it is full of hundreds of glow lights.

A very pretty effect
Alok Lahad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:04 pm 
Penguin

Actually, it can be used close up. I've done it before. As I mentioned in an earlier post (I think), I performed it in a waiting room for a couple kids. There was no dimmed lighting, no "stay ten feet from me" or whatever; I just did some simple moves and kept them entertained.

More recently, I performed a couple short D'Lite sequences for two of my coworkers. For one of them, the lighting was somewhat dim, but still very easy to see everything, and for the other, the lighting was perfectly normal. Both people couldn't see the gimmick, even though I was 3-5 feet from them.

If you handle it right, it's perfectly fine for close up work. If you're awkward with the handling, then, yeah, you should only do it on stage, when they can't get close enough to see the gimmick.

Oh, and D'Lites come in packages of one, not two. ;) From the FAQ on the D'Lite product description here:

"Q: How many D'Lites come in one box?
A: One D'Lite device is included in each box."

If you get the D'Lite Combo, you get two devices. I'd just get two individual D'Lites, though; in my opinion, you don't need the video to learn how to use them, and it's cheaper buying two singles than the Combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:41 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Silverfire, I stand corrected. I have a Combo. But I will still not do it close-up and in a brightly lit room. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:20 pm 
born to perform.

Plenty of bad advice in this thread.

D'lites are great for performing close up or stage.

Adults will like them as much as kids.

They (especially reds) can be used in normal lighting situations. Extreme dark situations make the gimmick more visible than it needs to be.

A good routine and practice is a must as with any decent magic performance. Don't just whip them out of the box and run to show your friends...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:15 pm 
born to perform.

How you present this trick will determine the reaction you gain while performing. Simply doing basic passes around yourself with two will only lightly entertain people as they're likely to see that it's a gimmick requiring little skill. But we're magicians, not kids with matches trying to impress mommy and daddy by almost burning our ears off. edited no.
Use them smoothly, quickly and realisticly.
When performing this trick I highten the entertainment value by using set routines (not completely random stuff like passes, that's boring after a while) I show hands empty, reach out to a candle and squeeze the D'lite onto it as if trying to grab the flame. This movement diguises me blowing the flame out as I grab it revealing a red light and leaving a trail of smoke from the candle. I now appear to be holding a flame. Alternatively pluck out the light from a light bulb by having a stooge turn out the lights with no one notiicing. Now keep the light moving from ear to ear, hand to hand, under the leg, into and out the mouth, up and out the nose, nose to ear, pocket to pocket, etc etc etc. Being careful not to repeat myself e.g. passing from ear to ear again and again throughout the routine, etc.
Always keep the flame moving only stopping the hands from moving when the light dissapears.
Now you look like a professional, and the spectators know it.
Remember to practice how smooth and realisticly you perform this. So yeah, if done properly, this is a PERFECT trick. No question, errr, except one: 2 should be included in a pack, 1 alone is usless. Why is this not considered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:20 am 
Penguin

Magic_Roy wrote:
No question, errr, except one: 2 should be included in a pack, 1 alone is usless. Why is this not considered?

Good question. The answer is probably because they can get more money doing it this way. ;) Also, one alone isn't quite useless. True, you can't do hand to hand type of stuff, but you can do a delayed through the body pass, in the mouth out the nose, etc.

Also, something I like to do is bring out my Zippo lighter and do a trick with it called Twilight Zone (obtained from a no longer extant site on Zippo lighter tricks), where you make the flame disappear and come back. The way I like to do it is to grab at the flame as if pinching it up with my fingers. With the D'Lite on, I can make it appear I actually pulled it off the lighter, then I can "throw" it back on.

And that is best done with only one D'Lite; due to the nature of the lighter trick part, you can't play with the "flame" in your hands very long before needing to put it back on the lighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:14 pm 
Penguin

i dont know about u guys but where i live, one guy went to vegas and bought it, came back and showed the secret to everyone at my school... so d'lite isnt that effective anymore