I dont THINK the MRE route will work. I checked into it and found the heat packet contains a magnesium mixture that reacts/oxidizes with water, creating heat. It will get hot, but wont produce a flame or spark.
Okay, it was just an idea. I checked the website but as soon as I saw that Chemical Formula I got scared and left. Haha! I must have Chemofobia or something. And WOW was that a flame. I don't think he wanted to burn the place... just light up a cigarette.
Well, I know just put a tiny little bit of the solution. Still looks risky. All of this is. FIRE MAGIC IS DANGEROUS!!!
Just another sugestion and I drop the topic 'cause I'm not very interested in this anyways (just trying to help out). So the MRE mixture just produces heat, not sparks... how about something else that might produce a spark when heated? Maybe wraping the MRE stuff in some flash paper... or adding a certain chemical? Anyone else with ideas I think they will be appreciated here. As for me, I'm out of them!!!
Take care and BE SAFE!!! We don't want to see in the news that a singles bar was completely burned down do to some magician lighting up a cigarette with ice.