It works best when I do IT in this order
1) I take out a black plastic covered card (the shinny high-gloss kind, then I hold my finger out and place the card horizontal so that one edge sits on my index finger, -IT- runs underneath supporting the cards other side. Then I let go and balance the card for a short second.
At this stage they think it's taped to my finger...
2) then I place the card in my right hand and raise the card for just a second and not all the way up. Becuase I want them to start realizing some strange is starting to happend and Tape has nothing to do with it.
3) then I toss the card spinning from one hand to the other in short tosses.. By this time the viewer is starting to freak out because that sort of thing seems possible if you we really good at tossing a card.... But... as you do it a couple of times you extend the length of the toss between the hands, the viewer then starts freaking out... " I get comments like, *** I have to go practice that at home"
4) Next I say "it'll take a little more practice to do this toss" then I toss and hover... by this time, the viewer has lost it.- they think it's a string so I float it right up to them ( above eye level)and grab it into my hand, then say.. "I bet you think I have a string don't you".. because that's the only explination for it... but then
5) I spin and pull the card through my -make shift ring- (created by my two hands combined)
6) to up it to the next level, I say" if I had a string attached... could I do this?" and toss it around me once and dissengage IT and hand it to the viewer for inspection.. to show nothing is attached
7) they'll ask to see it fly again of course, and then I fallow up with Loops, but ask the the viewer to cut between my hands to show that I have no thread connected to support a card, then I have them drop the card gently drop the card between my hands the long way as if to enter an ATM card into a slot and say "it's static electricity". it stops and holds floating. Then I ask them to take the card back and at the -second- they grip the card, I dissengage the loop and pass my hands over there extended hand that --just took the card.
My routine in this order, works every time. I've been doing it for a year now and normally get a glare of horror and excitment. In fact I find people that have seen me do this in my local video store and weeks later spot me yelling out "thats the guy I was telling you about" of course I'm always prepared and do it for the next group
awesome book http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=686