View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: IT Routine-- explosive combo
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:49 pm 
Penguin

My routine....

It works best when I do IT in this order

1) I take out a black plastic covered card (the shinny high-gloss kind, then I hold my finger out and place the card horizontal so that one edge sits on my index finger, -IT- runs underneath supporting the cards other side. Then I let go and balance the card for a short second.

At this stage they think it's taped to my finger...

2) then I place the card in my right hand and raise the card for just a second and not all the way up. Becuase I want them to start realizing some strange is starting to happend and Tape has nothing to do with it.

3) then I toss the card spinning from one hand to the other in short tosses.. By this time the viewer is starting to freak out because that sort of thing seems possible if you we really good at tossing a card.... But... as you do it a couple of times you extend the length of the toss between the hands, the viewer then starts freaking out... " I get comments like, *** I have to go practice that at home"

4) Next I say "it'll take a little more practice to do this toss" then I toss and hover... by this time, the viewer has lost it.- they think it's a string so I float it right up to them ( above eye level)and grab it into my hand, then say.. "I bet you think I have a string don't you".. because that's the only explination for it... but then

5) I spin and pull the card through my -make shift ring- (created by my two hands combined)

6) to up it to the next level, I say" if I had a string attached... could I do this?" and toss it around me once and dissengage IT and hand it to the viewer for inspection.. to show nothing is attached

7) they'll ask to see it fly again of course, and then I fallow up with Loops, but ask the the viewer to cut between my hands to show that I have no thread connected to support a card, then I have them drop the card gently drop the card between my hands the long way as if to enter an ATM card into a slot and say "it's static electricity". it stops and holds floating. Then I ask them to take the card back and at the -second- they grip the card, I dissengage the loop and pass my hands over there extended hand that --just took the card.

My routine in this order, works every time. I've been doing it for a year now and normally get a glare of horror and excitment. In fact I find people that have seen me do this in my local video store and weeks later spot me yelling out "thats the guy I was telling you about" of course I'm always prepared and do it for the next group

Loops http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=238

Hummer http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=220

awesome book http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=686

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:01 pm 
Penguin

That's the exact same routine you will see magicians do at certain magic shops in Las Vegas. Exactly. From the card standing up on the hand, to being raised, floated from hand to hand, to the standing spin raised up to eye level, to the loop around the arm, to the spin around the body. The EXACT routine. Which makes me really curious as to where you learned it. I can't recall Jon LeClair teaching that routine in his video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:13 pm 
Penguin

hmmm that's interesting that anything comparable is in that "exact order" ending with "loops."

I learned various ways of using IT by watching online videos and reading posts, but the order and presentation is one that I put together. The individual tricks, card through loop are obviously taken from other magicians, but the order in which they happen is the important part.

I purchased IT online.. not in Vegas..... The Loops hookup however, is my own.

BTW I posted the same post on [Deleted] and some of the long time It users metioned it was a nice combo.

another idea is:

I was hanging out at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood, you know where the foot prints lay in the ground...

I'd spot someone looking at a particular footprint and I'd fly my card over to it and land it right in front of them on the stone, then look up and say something to the likes of "he/she wants me to tell you that the he/she felt no pain when it happened." long blank stare.

Of course it works best on the older actors who have passed over.

I've never seen anyone fly card over dead actors footprint before... but then again I'm not here to try and prove I "invented" anything now am I...

Just offering information to those who may get value from it.
:roll:

Post subject: Re: IT Routine-- explosive combo
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:42 am 
born to perform.

digitalb wrote:
My routine....

4) Next I say "it'll take a little more practice to do this toss" then I toss and hover... by this time, the viewer has lost it.- they think it's a string so I float it right up to them ( above eye level)and grab it into my hand, then say.. "I bet you think I have a string don't you".. because that's the only explination for it... but then

If they haven't thought it's a string, then they will when you introduce the idea.

"Don't run when you aren't being chased". Best advice ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:26 am 
Penguin

99% of the people that saw the trick thought "string" way before I ever started mentioning it... so I just go with there inner idea and then blow it out of the water by by having them take the floating card..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:51 pm 
Penguin

Digitalb,

sounds awesome. what's your expereince been with loops and visibility doing this routine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:20 pm 
Penguin

ykstem,

You just have to watch you light angles. Loops is very difficult to see, it seem to be less noticable then IT, but if you move often and don't stay still with the line, I've been able to get away with it in a fully bright super market which of course has a fully white backdrop. you just have to keep the person back a bit, maybe about two or three feet.

The idea, is to change what people think is going on. Everyone always assumes string... does'nt matter how good you do it, they may not say it and some magi probably think they've performed well, but honestly 99% of people think it's string and don't want to burst your bubble... So you do things to disrupt that idea. The rountine I layed out, helps.

First they think tape, then they think magnet, then they think string, then when they grab the card at the end and nothing is attached, I normally get comments like "so how is the weather in edited"

:)
enjoy.