View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cups and Balls
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:43 pm 
Penguin

Wow! i was surprised not one person had any post for cups and balls. Anyways, I really like cups and balls one of my favorite tricks because there are so many different effeast u can do with it. I was wondering where i can learn some good routines, for example good books or videos. Maybe you guys can pist your own routines that you do. I have "Table Hopping Cups and Balls." it is a great DVD but its a little difficult because he teaches way to fast and doesn't teach too well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say about cups and balls.

Post subject: Re: Cups and Balls
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:30 pm 

skater51o wrote:
...I have "Table Hopping Cups and Balls." it is a great DVD but its a little difficult because he teaches way to fast and doesn't teach too well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say about cups and balls.

He is not teaching too fast. That is why it is a DVD. So you can replay one section over and over until you understand it. STUDY, STUDY, and STUDY, replaying each section until you have it firmly in your maind and your hands. keep repeating his moves over and over so that your hands and arms can do the routine without you having to think about each move. If watching "Table Hopping..." doesn't teach you reading posts about it won't either.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 12:41 am 
Penguin

If you want a killer routine, get your hands on Aldo Columbini's Cups and Balls routine. It is killer. The cups are flipping and flying and there are several excellent phases. I love it. Requires a lot of practice, but is well worth it if you like the genre.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:19 am 
born to perform.

I really want to get into cups and balls, after I saw that lemon come out of nowhere! What's a good beginning set and vid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:48 am 
born to perform.

Location: asylum Occupation: unemployed Hobbies: full-contact origami
ammar has a good cups and ball series.

easy to master cups and balls, vol 1 and 2.

vol. 1 is the basic moves; vol 2 is advanced stuff and routines.
and both videos have some interesting history and trivia.

Post subject: Books
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:48 am 
Penguin

I'm thinking of picking up cups and balls. How would you rate the book "Cups & Balls" by Michael Ammar? Does it comes with ideas for chop cups?

Also, any recommendations on a magic wand??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

I think Ammar's is one of the better DVDs out there. I would check that out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:36 pm 
born to perform.

First off I just want to say that cups and balls is a classic that every magician should master. Houdini even said that he considered no man to be a magician unless he could adequately perform the cups and balls. To answer your question though, I don't know anything about table hopping but I would highly recommend Michael Ammars complete cups and balls volume 1 and 2 on dvd. That is one of the best DVDs I own besides the Jeff McBride art of card manipulation series. Sadly penguin doesn't carry that so I had to special order mine from another dealer. Also, whatever you do, don't buy the book sold at penguin. The DVD has tips and live video footage of Dai Vernon performing his routine. The wand sold at penguin called the magicians wand is very nice and the aluminum cups are fine for anyone just starting. Good luck on mastering the cups and balls. If you have any questions regarding the cups and balls or where to find the DVDs feel free to pm me.

Post subject: Excellent site
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:47 am 
Penguin

hi guys! :D

on my quest of searching info on cups & Balls... i came upon this site.... not sure how helpful it might be, but it has quite a lot of reference.

http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magcups.htm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:13 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
skater51o wrote:
...I have "Table Hopping Cups and Balls." it is a great DVD but its a little difficult because he teaches way to fast and doesn't teach too well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys have to say about cups and balls.

He is not teaching too fast. That is why it is a DVD. So you can replay one section over and over until you understand it. STUDY, STUDY, and STUDY, replaying each section until you have it firmly in your maind and your hands. keep repeating his moves over and over so that your hands and arms can do the routine without you having to think about each move. If watching "Table Hopping..." doesn't teach you reading posts about it won't either.

Peter

There is little to no "teaching" on Carl Andrew's videos. It's a routine and the expectation is that you have some basic knowledge of cups and balls. The reason you have to play it over and over is because it's a routine video not a teaching video. It wouldn't be my first pick for a beginner.

I loved the "strike vanish" on the DVD... sure wish he would have "taught me how to do it". I'll just keep watching and watching and watching.... :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:08 pm 
Penguin

skater51o wrote:
I have "Table Hopping Cups and Balls."

Does the Dvd come with the the cups and balls? If yes does it come with thre cups and balls or only 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:55 pm 
born to perform.

My cups and balls suck....I use the Mark Wilsons version... Mine is completely unpolished and I have been doing it for years....I have that problem with a lot of tricks....they like professional looking polish....can anyone help is there a vid or book that helps someone know what to do to look more professional???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:30 pm 
born to perform.

Michael Ammar Complete cups and balls dvd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:40 am 
Penguin

the strike vanish that carl andrews uses is good explained in on the spot with re cap revisited he uses the strike vanish to vanish the cap of the pen and carl shows his version of the strike vanish to vanish the bal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:56 am 
Penguin

One of the most entertaining cups and ball routines ever is 'RUNAROUND SUE' by Tim Ellis. This is a very different twist on the standard cups and ball. I went to a lecture of his and his beautiful wife Sue Ann Weber a year ago and I was floored. Its not a table hopping routine but if you really want to impress someone this is a great routine. Thier website is http://www.magicunlimited.com. A video of the routine is available in the video section. Check it out. And if you ever get a chance to see thier lecture GO. The lecture notes are available for the routine.