View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spectator lighting flash paper
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:53 pm 
Penguin

Is it a good and safe idea to have a spectator ignite a folded prediciton in an ashtray, with a match, which is actually flash paper? Perhaps the match is too short and the flame will startle the spectator, which could be a good or bad thing.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:53 pm 
Penguin

That's a tough question.. I've let people light flash-paper with lit cigarettes. They knew what was going to happen.
I would be worried that they might burn themselves if they thought it was regular paper. Then again, I'm sure there are longer matches, so that they are farther away from the flames.

Just be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:07 pm 
Penguin

Yes - I am afraid of harming or even frightening them, even if they don't expect the flash fire. My original routine has the spectator use matches to light plain fold paper prediction. My aim with FP is to speed up the process.

I suppose I should be looking at paper that burns slower than flash, but faster that normal paper. About a 5 to 10 sec would be good as that is what I am trying to acheive to keep the routine flowing. The flash is not important as it's just to discard the folded paper. One alternative that could be possible is to soak the paper in Alcohol, but I have not tried this.

There have been times when I have had to wait a minute for a complete burn with impromptu paper or napkins that I find. :( :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:40 pm 
born to perform.

spadesy wrote:
One alternative that could be possible is to soak the paper in Alcohol, but I have not tried this.(

Good luck with that one, tell me how it goes. :? I have a feeling that I won't get an answer from that. Honestly, alcohol? That so incrdibly dangerous. It's like standing in the middle of the night in a super highway in black clothes. "C'mon don't be shy, run me over!" Ask your local magic dealer. They may have some safer options.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:03 pm 
Penguin

Ok - so alcohol soaking is a bad idea, then. That's why I asked. :)

So how about other ways of destroying the paper safely and quickly in front of the and by the spectator, such as shredding or wetting it? The paper does not need to be totally destroyed, but only the word.

It's not the technique that I looking for, but creative ideas for safely discarding a written note predicition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:02 pm 
Penguin

I hope your liability insurance covers it! ROTFLMAO!!!

Too risky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:17 pm 
Penguin

AlanMunro wrote:
I hope your liability insurance covers it! Too risky!

That is why I am asking for alternatives way before any performance. Even having the prediction burnt could be risky, but I am talking about destroying the paper very quickly is ANY other way, not creating a flame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:02 am 
born to perform.

Why don't you light the Flash Paper? Spectators lighting the Flash Paper is far to risky, you don't want their arm going over the flame. But if you stand back and light the Paper, I don't see a problem with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:10 am 
Penguin

The reason for the spectator lighting the flash paper is so that I can be free to do something, such as misdirection as the paper is burning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:52 pm 
Penguin

o.k., a prediction... maybe a small scrap of rice paper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:36 am 
born to perform.

I will let them light it, not hold it, after they light it, i will throw it in the air.

Post subject: Suggestion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:03 pm 
Penguin

Dry a moist towelette ( eg. Wet NAP) by taking it out of the pack for a couple of days and write on it. starts a bit slower and burns blue.

Post subject: Re: Suggestion
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:04 pm 
Penguin

The evil one wrote:
Dry a moist towelette ( eg. Wet NAP) by taking it out of the pack for a couple of days and write on it. starts a bit slower and burns blue.
Really try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:31 pm 
Penguin

Moist towelette sounds like an interesting ideas. I'll have to try that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

No sir! It is a terrible idea. Think about it, even if the people are capable of doing it, things can always go wrong. Therefore, you being the performer, the one in charge, even if it was not your fault at all could be sued and get in alot of trouble for anything that happens. Also, I've had experience with letting frinds (adults) try this stuff out, if you've never used it, it is very scary when you don't know what is coming. Most certainly do not let a spectator light the flash paper, cotten, string, what have you.