View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coral Fang
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:40 pm 
Penguin

I was looking at Coral Fang and it looks pretty good but I heard that all of the effects on it are meant for stage magic. Are there any similar books or DVDs that teach more close up magic?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:42 am 
born to perform.

if you are looking for powerfull menatlism i would go with sean feilds explicit content. it is full of visual menatlism and psychokenessis effects.

Post subject: Re: Coral Fang
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

mitch1990 wrote:
I was looking at Coral Fang and it looks pretty good but I heard that all of the effects on it are meant for stage magic. Are there any similar books or DVDs that teach more close up magic?
They are meant for stage. So if you are a stage mentalist, it will work great for you. Otherwise, you probably won't find much use with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:33 pm 
born to perform.

Something else to consider about Coral Fang is that some of the effects have practically no way of being practiced because you can only do them when you have your audience watching and involved in the trick. So that makes some of the material a little risky to perform at first when you don't know it that well. I don't really recommend Coral Fang myself, there is just not much useful stuff in it for the price.

Post subject: Uh=Oh
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:07 am 
Penguin

I just ordered it and from wat im reading, i think i just got ripped off. Can Touching on Hoy only be prformed on stage? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:14 am 
born to perform.

I think that most of Jermay's material is best performed on stage to be honest, like a lot of the stuff on Banachek's PSI series.

Note that that's best and not only to. If you want to perform his stuff close up and can make it work then go ahead, personally I've found what I have of Luke's I've used to best effect when I'm on stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:29 am 
Emperor Penguin

I agree with povallsky. It is best for stage. That's what his effects were made for. And if you put the time into them, they are great.

Now, you wouldn't want to base your whole show off of him right away, because your show will fail horribly, because the likely hood you are able to actually do all of his effects are basically zero, unless you already are experienced in suggestion, and mentalism.

The best way to approach his material is to start off really slow. Find a couple of effects that you like, and add just one to your show. Before doing it in your show, tell the people that this doesn't always work, but since they are such a great audience, you will try it. This way, if you fail, it's alright, and you just go into a strong effect. And be ready to fail, because you will. But just keep working on that effect, until you can do it. Then select another one of his effects, and repeat the process.

Coral Fang is well worth the money, if you put the time and effort into it that it deserves. If you don't, then yes, you've wasted your money. If you aren't ready to put the time and effort into it, then you shouldn't be performing his stuff.

Post subject: phew
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:26 pm 
Penguin

That's a relief. I have encountered Jermay's stuff before so I know what I'm getting into, I was just hearing that they were only to be performed on stage. I definitely want to make it work for close-up, I just wanted to know if theoretically speaking, it can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:47 pm 
born to perform.

I know for a fact that Kenton Knepper himself, the very master of suggestion, has incorporated Jermay's Reverse Gestalt Moment into his close-up routines, and I followed in his footsteps; it's built for that performance really. And stuff like The Seventh Deception works best as a finale to an after dinner type show, where you can come sit at the table and focus everyone's attention on just the one person sitting opposite you. I'd say of the 9 effects in 7 Deceptions there's 4 that would benefit most from a close-up type performance, and a further 2 that would be really nice to do that way but work well on stage too. And having said that, only two of the effects absolutely won't work on stage, and one would tricky

Post subject: Re: Coral Fang
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:58 pm 
Penguin

mitch1990 wrote:
Yea...it's mostly for stange, but I practice at smaller "shows". Like with friends and such. At a party for example (like an outdoors one) I'd do a show for like 20 friends, and practice his stuff. That's the best way. Also, if you're doing a little show, like not on stage, some of his effects are great...in fact, effects like PK lipstick are the best or smaller shows.

And to whomever said that He mistreated his audience...I'm sure that you're wrong. WEll, not really, but he doesn't do it anymore...IF he ever did. I've seen him before...he was the best performer ever....not to mention mentalisit