View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a license to perform hypnotism?
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:58 pm 
Penguin

Is this true? I wanted to perform hypnotism but I was told i cant because its a liability if i dont have a license... If this is true how or where can i get a licens im sure its going to take awhile but i want one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:01 pm 
born to perform.

I don't know where you live, but in the USA there is no such requirement for stage hypnotism.

Clinical hypnosis, however, is another matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:48 pm 
born to perform.

You can be licensed just for hypnosis in general though can't you? Its not like so that you CAN perform it, but just more of like saying you really know how I think. Idk, I'm thinking I've read or heard something like that.

And yeah like you said you need to be licensed for hypnosis thats supposed to be helping people somehow. I think thats a bunch of crap anyway though..... I mean it probably works as much as a placebo would, but I don't think thats all that great either lol.....

Just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:56 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thecooltonto wrote:
You can be licensed just for hypnosis in general though can't you? Its not like so that you CAN perform it, but just more of like saying you really know how I think. Idk, I'm thinking I've read or heard something like that.

And yeah like you said you need to be licensed for hypnosis thats supposed to be helping people somehow. I think thats a bunch of crap anyway though..... I mean it probably works as much as a placebo would, but I don't think thats all that great either lol.....

Just my opinion.

Well the mind is very powerful. Ther have been cases where a girl just thought she was pregnant, and she started to have all the symptons, even an increased belly.

Never underestimate the power of the mind. And until you even tried them, dont discount them.

And for medical use, one does need a liscence, i believe. :?

Last edited by DavidTheCryptic on Fri May 25, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It may vary from state to state. That I am not sure of. However, you can be a "certified" hypnotist. Basically all that means is that you have studied the art in a formal setting (classroom).

With or without being "certified", you can perform hypnosis in a therapeutic / holistic way so long as you do not claim to be a psychiatrist, or offering clinical hypnotherapy which are heavily regulated.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:06 pm 
Emperor Penguin

wayno wrote:
It may vary from state to state. That I am not sure of. However, you can be a "certified" hypnotist. Basically all that means is that you have studied the art in a formal setting (classroom).

With or without being "certified", you can perform hypnosis in a therapeutic / holistic way so long as you do not claim to be a psychiatrist, or offering clinical hypnotherapy which are heavily regulated.

8)

Is that Canadian info, or of the States (as you say state), or a mix of both places?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:24 pm 
Emperor Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
Is that Canadian info, or of the States (as you say state), or a mix of both places?

As far as I can tell, it goes the same for both. Hypnotism appears to be no different than counselling or massage, which does not require any formal training to practice. Unless you claim it is of medical nature.

There is no one body that regulates hypnotism, but there are organizations that require members to follow their guidelines. That is nothing more than having a certificate and paying dues to make your practice appear more legitimate with a small certificate to hang on your wall. Same goes for taking that weekend course to be "certified", and those organizations require you to take their course usually be be certified, or to pay their validation fees / quiz.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
And yeah like you said you need to be licensed for hypnosis thats supposed to be helping people somehow. I think thats a bunch of crap anyway though..... I mean it probably works as much as a placebo would, but I don't think thats all that great either lol....

Ahhh, the pot calling the kettle...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:45 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
Ahhh, the pot calling the kettle...

huh? I guess thats supposed to relate to me being a Christian somehow? Hypnotism is nothing except influence based on what the person thinks themselves right? So I just don't see how it makes a real serious difference. Sure it could make a person think some wierd stuff and then do some wierd stuff as a result, but I'm talking like physically. I don't see how talking can physically help someone overcome for example a physical nicotine addiction. I'm sure it helps the same way motivation does, or probably more than just motivation from people, but I don't think its going to actually get rid of nicotine addiction, or curb it any really. Thats all I'm trying to say. It helps, but I don't think in a physical way, only in a mental way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:58 pm 
born to perform.

You seem to forget that I am a Christian too (though I'm fairly sure you have me pegged as a heretic).

It's just that your dismissal of hypnosis was less 'analytical' and more 'smug' in its delivery (maybe it was the word, "crap").

My observation here can be reflected in another quaint saying: "People who live in glass houses..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:01 pm 
born to perform.

Ok well thats what I think of it, I mean ultimately its nothing but talk, influence, suggestion, a placebo effect, and motivation. I just don't see where that can help you in a physical way.

The main reason I think that is because I watched a show on TLC one time following three smokers trying to quit. They were each given different methods of help to stop smoking, one of which was hypnosis, and it really really didn't seem to help the woman the least little bit. She just didn't feel like it was helping her any. I think thats why that example came to my mind too.

And no, I haven't pegged you as a "heretic." lol I realize you have said you are a theistic evolutionist, and a Christian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:11 pm 
Emperor Penguin

thecooltonto wrote:
Ok well thats what I think of it, I mean ultimately its nothing but talk, influence, suggestion, a placebo effect, and motivation. I just don't see where that can help you in a physical way.

The main reason I think that is because I watched a show on TLC one time following three smokers trying to quit. They were each given different methods of help to stop smoking, one of which was hypnosis, and it really really didn't seem to help the woman the least little bit. She just didn't feel like it was helping her any. I think thats why that example came to my mind too.

And no, I haven't pegged you as a "heretic." lol I realize you have said you are a theistic evolutionist, and a Christian.

Well it doesnt work for any one. First you have to be willing to allow it. Second you really have to want to do what ever is suggested. MAybe she really didnt want to quit. Third it doesnt work for every one. Just like regualr medicince, food, learning, etc.

I have seen it help people. You cant give a true judgment based on one show on TLC. Its an unfair judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:34 am 
born to perform.

Good point, David.

Behavioral change by any means requires a sincere, dedicated effort. The power of suggestion is not 'magic' or 100% reliable; it relies on the receptiveness of the person receiving the suggestion. Nobody will do, under suggestion, what they would not normally wish to do.
Also, the power of suggestion does not require Mesmer's 'magnetic frenzy' or the classical hypnotist's 'trance.'
Svengali and Dracula are fantasies.
Hypnosis, well-orchestrated propoganda and pep rallies use similar techniques.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:03 am 
Penguin

so i dont need a certification? I live in the state of NY... I am doing real hypnosis but not hypnotherapy. my school is convinced I need to be certified

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:38 am 
born to perform.

For stage hypnotism, no certification is needed.