View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New to Mentalism.....HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:49 am 
Penguin

I've been messing with the magic side of the art for a bit now, since i was 17, i'm now 25. Close up effects is what i love. However, lately i've been trying to learn mentalism. I own and am reading 13 steps as well as Practical Mental Magic. Aside from those two, i've kinda goofed up and did the shot-gun approach towards learning things, i.e. buying buying buying. but the things i've bought have been interesting, and i've learned many things. I own Luke Jermay's Coral Fang, as well as Paul Brooks' Brooks Test. Technique wise I have the aforementioned books and Kenton Knepper's Mind Reading. My big question is, who do I practice on and how do i learn this stuff. Card Magic is pretty straight forward, you do this that or the other with manipulation. Psychological "mind" magic, so to speak, seems sooooo much more complicated. Given time I'm sure I'll learn all that I seek, but right now, in the beginning its pretty frustrating. Please help, and comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Very Respectfully,

decoyspikeyhair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:30 pm 
born to perform.

So far, I own only two books on mentalism, 13 steps and PRISM.
I have been practicing by doing. Not on strangers, but family members, only because if I screw up I won't get hassled for it. Also, it provides a setting for me to get it right, and practice until I can do it for strangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:46 am 
Penguin

hey man sorry this is so late. I'm can't really get into practicing mentalism on my family and close friends. Yeah its helpful with certain aspects, i.e. technique, scripting, things like that, but it also kinda loses the feel of spontaneity and the overall effect. I can't very well do tossed out deck with a group of friends, for example, because in the end they all end up talking, and figure out what exactly happened. things like that. Maybe I should just write to some of the authors of the works i've been studying. thanks for your input though. I've heard good things about PRISM and will look into what it has to offer. Overall I think the big thing that needs changing first is my manner of thinking. That, I've found, is the biggest obstacle so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:50 am 
born to perform.

Sounds like a good start, panicking is something you should not do.