View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new to mentalism
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:07 am 
Penguin

yeah iam new to mentalism, but i dont think i know any tricks on mentalism, can you guys give some examples of mentalism tricks?
iam not asking you to revel them just what the spectater sees

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:00 am 
Emperor Penguin

Check out Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:25 pm 
Penguin

Get Luke Jermay's stuff if you want to do full scale mentalism. Its sort of complex, but it's really worth it if you put the time and energy needed into it. I recommend the dvd, and either building blocks if you want to go farther with theory, or coral fang if you want more solid effects. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I will agree with gibson, but only if you have a foundation in mentalism. Start off with 13 steps, and then move on from there. 13 steps will give you a good foundation to work off of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:28 pm 
born to perform.

58gibson wrote:
Get Luke Jermay's stuff if you want to do full scale mentalism. Its sort of complex, but it's really worth it if you put the time and energy needed into it. I recommend the dvd, and either building blocks if you want to go farther with theory, or coral fang if you want more solid effects. :wink:

I've heard that Luke's stuff is more for the experienced mentalist. This guys a beginner. I'd say go with 13 steps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:25 am 

13 Steps is really the only thing that should be recommended if you're serious. It'll give you a great foundation. Then you have guys like Maven, Brown, Jermay, Spelman, and many others to look too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm 
born to perform.

Agreed. Get 13 steps. Study it and find some more material that you like. Luke Jermay's stuff is really good, but not for everyone. Jay Sankey's mentalism isn't as strong, but is easy and almost all of it is 100% right mentalism.

I only have 1 of banachek's books and the effects are alright, but he has good information to share.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:19 am 
born to perform.

^^ That's because Sankey does mental magic. Banachek's PSI series is a fantastic resource to get hold of, lots of stuff you can do straight away and stuff you can work on that's more advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:30 am 
born to perform.

povallsky wrote:
^^ That's because Sankey does mental magic. Banachek's PSI series is a fantastic resource to get hold of, lots of stuff you can do straight away and stuff you can work on that's more advanced.

I agree. Even though I have on one of these tapes, I think they're really great and they should go with 13 steps really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:32 pm 
born to perform.

povallsky wrote:

True, but is Boris Pocus more mentalism or mental magic? Personally I don't like mental magic. Don't ask why? It just irritates me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:45 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Boris Pocus is more mentalism.

Post subject: Re: new to mentalism
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:34 am 
Penguin

mikeoo92 wrote:
yeah iam new to mentalism, but i dont think i know any tricks on mentalism, can you guys give some examples of mentalism tricks?
iam not asking you to revel them just what the spectater sees

Basic mentalism effects are:
-Telepathy (You appear to read the spectator's mind)
-Precognition (You appear to predict a future event)
-Clairvoyance (You appear to be able to see something concealed from view)
-Psychokinesis (You appear to be able to move objects or bend metal with your mind)

With all due respect to the some of the other posters, I feel Luke Jermay is over-rated and is certainly not a good starting point for beginners.

The two bibles of Mentalism are "Practical Mental Effects" by Theodore Annemann and "13 Steps to Mentalism" by Corinda. Annemann's book may seem a bit dated and dry but it is the traditional starting point for mentalists and contains effects that continue to be embraced and performed by mentalists today. "13 Steps" is a bit more accessible if you grow impatient with Annemann. After you tackle these books I suggest Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties" which does not contain many effects per se but is a goldmine of presentational ideas.

The DVDs I would recommend after you read some of the above material would be Richard Osterlind's MIND MYSTERIES and Max Maven's VIDEOMIND. Both give very thorough explanations of the effects shown. Max Maven also displays an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of mentalism as he discusses the roots of each effect.

If you're in a hurry and are not keen on reading large books, Richard Osterlind also has a series of DVDs called EASY TO MASTER MENTAL MIRACLES. These videos focus on classic effects for the beginning mentalist and may be your ideal starting point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:06 am 
born to perform.

I have been a mentalist for only a little while and here is how I started out:

1. The Teaching Material >>>

- Ted Annemann's Practical Mental Magic
- 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda
- X-Rated by Sean Fields
- SAD by Looch
- Building Blocks by Luke Jermay
- Skullduggery by Luke Jermay
- The Coral Fang by Luke Jermay

2. Study the Teaching Material >>>

- Study the 4 books above and take your time. Study one book at a time and don't rush through any parts of them no matter how boring they are.

3. Purchase The Supplies >>>

- Purchase certain gaffs in which you will need for any tricks that had interested you in any of those 4 books.

4. Practice The Illusions >>>

- Practice each one thoroughly and decide on which ones you actually enjoy performing. Discard the rest and practice those even more until you final know them by heart.

5. Perform >>>

- Test each trick/feat and work the kinks out. This may take some time, but keep at it.

Those are the steps that I took through my journey through mentalism and they helped me out a lot. If you need any help with ANYTHING, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:53 am 
Penguin

I am new to mantalsim too and I picked up 13 steps off ebay ( penguin has been sold out ) And from pengnuin i have Richard Osterlind's Mind mysteries
Dvds volumes 1 + 2. They both looked like really neat effects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:43 am 
Penguin

Get Into The Abyss :D