View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Impromptu Mentalism
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:40 pm 

So, you all know the request or demand. "Show me a trick." Let's get a discussion going on what everyone's favorite piece of mind reading to show people would be and where to find it. I'm talking stuff that you can do on the spot. No nail writers. No calculator. No ESP cards. Stuff that's naturally in your pockets or easily accessible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:53 pm 
Penguin

wow...good question. I'd say for something that's really impromptu (as in, needs nothing what-so-ever) I'd go Pyscological Subtelties style. I'd usually start out with "pick a shape..." and go from there. I could probabally fit that into a touching on hoy thing. Or I could go into a complete instant stooge style effect....It'd depend on my mood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:53 pm 

Glad you like the question. We need more discussions that aren't on what new coin in bottle is best.

I wanted to wait until someone else responded before saying anything. PK Subtleties is a great book. PK2 is pretty good itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:34 am 
born to perform.

If this counts as "easily accessible" then I can do a lie detecting thing similar to Derren Brown's version in his stage show. It consists of 5 doubled up business cards in a card wallet, I just hand them out and then it's done, the rest is presentation. So I think this falls under "easily accessible" because it can be in a card wallet in my pocket, and I just pull it out and it works.
Thought transmitter is also a very good "easily accessible" effect that I have been using lately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:05 pm 
born to perform.

CodyRN wrote:
wow...good question. I'd say for something that's really impromptu (as in, needs nothing what-so-ever) I'd go Pyscological Subtelties style. I'd usually start out with "pick a shape..." and go from there. I could probabally fit that into a touching on hoy thing. Or I could go into a complete instant stooge style effect....It'd depend on my mood.

Definitely the stuff in PS1. I use "the Nose Knows" all the time.

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:01 pm 
born to perform.

I can't remember who's idea it was originally but Andy Nyman teaches a completely impromptu graphology test that uses three business cards and a little cold reading - that's a goody. Three people draw three little pictures on a business card (one each) and you first explain the personalities of the first two you get back using the pictures alone, then you look at the third person and read into her personality from her appearance and what not, culminating in your telling her what she drew without ever having even looked at it.

Also, the one step ahead fall back. I tend to do last person you phoned on your mobile, money in your wallet and then a random shape (using subtle persuasion to get my hit). Always gets a good reaction.

Another I do is something I came up with myself which involves playing a game in which I write a word and you write the next one in the sentence carrying on until we have a 8/10 word sentence. Obviously this matches up nearly perfectly with the prediction sentence I wrote down just before we started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:39 pm 
born to perform.

Psychokinetics touches is impromtpu, need no props, done anywhere anytime and alway get gasp of astonishments... Im so glad I invested in that effect, the price is a steal 10 BUCKS!

Also I like waking hypnotist effects, but some are harder and im trying to learn them but im getting a good potential of walking around no props mental effects. I dont want to go by 20 roads, I want to read people mind cold. More you get off of the '' think of something I will reveal it '' Less it looks likes mind reading.

Much of the good effects I got are from Sleight of mind and Building blocks by luke Jermay. Sleight of mind gives more of the subtileties while Jermay teach us more routines.

Im building blocks there is a book test that is simply the cherry on top of the sundae, it just looks like COLD MIND READING. A spectator takes any book, ANY BOOK, opens up ANY page, at ANY moments she stops at a word, The magician is GENIUNLY blindfolded so he CANT see trought, he manage to read the word, he manage to read a sentance... and he manage to comment on the story as well as the characters. That's so strong but it takes nerves to do.

In sleight of mind, there is a couple of good routines, There's an effect where you ask the spectator to hold a card and the card is pulling his arm up, he tries but he can't manage to lower his arm.

There's also another effect where you lock the spectator arm so he can't move them anymore.

Oh! and In luke jermay building blocks there is a effect where the spectator looks at his watch and he somewhat get blocked in time and cant move anymore.

If you want good walkaround mental effects, those two books are must buy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:40 pm 
Penguin

stigmata all you need is a peice of paper and a pencil. I also always do noncontact muscle reading, ill have them think of an object and do it from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:49 pm 
Penguin

he said impromptu. I think he meant 100% impromptu. Not i JUST need this....not impromptu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:03 pm 

If you combine some of the stuff from PS1 with Stigmata, you've got some killer stuff. If it doesn't work, you still have an out. Stigmata is amazing for that reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:08 pm 
Penguin

yes, I agree. I've done some crazy stuff with stigmata, OK forces are so much better for stigmata than regular writing someone down. Well...it reall depends on your style, but it's all great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:07 pm 
Penguin

Are you saying that its better to force a card then do stigmata? Because i have found that when i do stigmata with initials i get much better reactions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:24 pm 
Penguin

no, I'm saying pyscological forces or better...for my style

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:59 pm 
Penguin

by physcological forces do you mean like think of number 1 through 10? That can always be risky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:02 pm 
Penguin

yes, I am saying for that style on thing. And yes, it is risky, but it depends on who you're doing it to as well, some people revieve "messages" better than others.