View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Walkaround Mentalism
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:27 am 
Penguin

So... Though I do think this topic would be fitting for the walkaround category, I truly believe the regular Mentalism section viewers would be of more use...

Okay...
So, What would be good products for doing walkaround mentalism. I work at a restuarant and I find mentalism to be a favorite among the guests. I am not looking for some silly prop thing.

I'm looking for more "impromptu" mentalism.

I do own PSI series 2 and that caters to my situation well. I also own 7 Deceptions and Building Blocks but those titles are geared more toward stage and would be impractical at an eatery.

I am looking foward to the release of Into The Abyss for I find it will suit my needs well...

But, Are there any other suggestions on products for "Walkaround Mentalism."

(and don't say annemans or 13 steps... I DO own the classics, of course)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:13 am 
born to perform.

As far as Practical Mental Magic goes, any of the "Mentalism with Cards" tricks could suit a restaurant setting, as could "Lock and Key" on page 105 of the Dover paperback edition.

If you use the one-ahead principle and equivoque or a force you can make a killer triple prediction about the amount of change in a spec's pocket, their choice of a number 1-1000, and their choice of a card or ESP symbol.

This is just from skimming through some books...I'm sure you could find some other stuff yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:08 am 
born to perform.

Try what I did - start inventing.

I've taken some things that should be stage based and made them table friendly. I can perform a couple of magic square type effects (one where I fill one in based on a random spectator chosen number in less than a minute and one where I predict an answer from a number square that makes random sums), I use card trick principles and apply them to mentalism effects, I use a Andy Nyman's Magician's Graphology (I think that's its title) from Get Nyman, occasional using playing cards. This is the best time to get your thinking hat on and start coming up with your own magic, which I think is the best magic of all.

Look through EVERYTHING you have, tweek and reinterpret until you get hit with something that smacks of genius. Example - Absolut Magic by Andrew Manye. Rather than perform with your drink and water and what not, you could try with empty glasses on the table (say all the unused wine glasses) and the jug of water the table has ordered. Another idea could be to have a spectator slip your business card underneath any opaque object on the table and use contact muscle reading to find out which one it is. Predict how much the bill will be by writing down your prediction at the start of their meal, before they've even ordered everything, and sealing it in an envelope and visiting them for the revelation.

I'm literally throwing these from the top of my head. Think about and try everything, something will work and work well. When you get that effect bag it and start work on something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:08 pm 
Penguin

do you think billets would be safe to perform in a retaurant where people are completely surrounding you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:32 pm 

Check out the offerings of www.outlaw-effects.com

They have some great stuff for walkaround.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:38 pm 
Penguin

Force a card. Then make one heck of a performance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:05 pm 
Penguin

Even better Idea. Learn a memorized deck, then Destroy them completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:57 pm 
born to perform.

do you mean to "stack a deck"?
not "learn a memorized deck", a memorized deck would already be learned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:45 pm 
born to perform.

Zero Memory Memorised Deck is my favourite 'memorised' deck effect to do - super easy and zero memorisation required. Check that out most definately.

Post subject: restaurant mentalism
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:13 pm 
Penguin

There are a few great suggestions above- I might add a few that have worked for me in the past and helped to build my local reputation - Bend a few spoons and forks "Liquid Metal" Put your pre-sets on the table before they sitdown and "Refraction" is a killer way to end at a table -(last thing before they leave- and of course buy the glasses from your manager or get approval) and even though you have a preference for no gimmicks I would recommend a "Thought Transmitter." If used correctly it really kills. (can be disguised as your waitpad used for taking orders) And since you have 13 steps I would suggest some nail writing- lots of cool stuff you can do on the back of your business card. (you do have a card right?) Hope those help....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:09 pm 
Penguin

Something I would suggest is Docc Hillfords E'Voque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:52 pm 
born to perform.

ThePhenomenalist wrote:
Something I would suggest is Docc Hillfords E'Voque.

Do you have his phone book trick thing?

Brucelee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:13 pm 
born to perform.

Just to let you know, Steve Fearson's exercise in hyperbole (aka his website) is now banging on about how they have a new section called - Impromptu Mentalism.

You might want to check it out. I'm off for hot chocolate myself...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:24 pm 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
do you mean to "stack a deck"?
not "learn a memorized deck", a memorized deck would already be learned.

I dont know why I even bother posting on this site...to many little nitpickers...If you dont already have a deck memorized, then yes you have to memorize one...or LEARN the order. A memorized deck is a stacked deck, but a stacked deck is not necessarily memorized.