View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: iPod/MP3 Tricks?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:52 pm 
born to perform.

Hey,

Magic and mentalism is moving into a new technological era and I think our magic should say that. I'm looking for mentalism effects that have something to do with iPods or MP3 devices. Some ideas that I have are predicting certain songs on the person's device and reading off the belonger's information in the device.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:12 pm 
born to perform.

I really don't like magic and mentalism that uses electronic devices like cellphones, ipods, PDAs, etc. in ways that leave the door open for the possibility that the device was simply programmed to do the trick. We live in a world full of electronic devices that can be programmed to do amazing things -- so why shouldn't a spectator assume that a magical effect produced by an electronic device was acheived via some sort of programming or even an alteration of the hardware?

That's why so many mentalists prefer a propless or low-tech prop approach in their performances.

Having said that, I do think that such props can be used in amazing performance pieces if care is taken to use the item in such a way that it being gimmicked or programmed is not an issue. For example, check out the December issue of Magic magazine. In the "Talk ABout Magic" colum there is a piece called "iTear" which uses a spectator's iPod. The actual physical iPod does not enter into the performance until almost the end; it is merely used to reveal a song selected by the spectator. It uses the spectator's iPod, and it is not actually handled by the magicin until th every end of the trick.

Last edited by TheCaffeinator on Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:54 pm 
born to perform.

Unless perhaps it was a borrowed mp3 player.

It would be a good effect, as to where to get it from or how to create it, is beyond me. Good luck with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:33 pm 
Penguin

I agree with TheCaffeinator.
Mentalism deals with areas of the 90% of the unexplainable human brain. Even after all the medical research done, the human mind has such a vast territory that is unknown, by doing things (albeit there are technical explanations of how we accomplish our desired outcomes of effects presented) that takes mentalisim to a different level than just flourishes and tricks. Mentalisim touches upon some of those unexplainable areas.

If you could get someones mp3 player or iPod to jump songs by concentrating on it, perhaps all the sudden jump back to the begining of a song by concentrating on it? If you are extreemly well versed in music, one could make a prediction, have your spectator randomly select a song to play on their device and when you show them your prediction, it is the artist and song that you have written down? There are cassette predictions with the performers voice, which I have seen that are quite impressive. Not sure if that could be done with the iPod or not. But to make the electronic devices a big selling point of your routine... stick with things less electronic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:04 am 
Penguin

You could always have a pre-recorded message about a prediction right?

Even predicting their name... >>>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:52 pm 
Penguin

You could use mnemonics and memorize their entire song playlist in order, and then recite it with you're back turned. This is one of my personal favorites to do when I'm sitting around with friends.

Best,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:02 pm 
born to perform.

themagicofadam wrote:
You could use mnemonics and memorize their entire song playlist in order, and then recite it with you're back turned. This is one of my personal favorites to do when I'm sitting around with friends.

Best,
Adam

Good idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:21 am 
Penguin

No problem at all. That's what I'm here for :D .

Best,
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:14 pm 
Penguin

Location: In some sweet limo, with a hot girl *wakes up and cries*
Well it isn't mentalism but there is this guy I saw about a year ago...He pulled out of his bag an i-pod video (headphones nearly touching the floor). Then he put a silk over it and it began to float underneath the silk....At one point he completely let go of the silk and was holding on to nothing more than the dangling headphones...

I don't really think it's exposure telling you that the trick was accomplished the same way as a Zombie Ball is. (only it was built into the headphones)....

All in all it was a pretty cool performance.

Hope this helps,

-Trix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:26 am 
Penguin

iKnow by Jason Palter. You hand them your iPod, let them scroll through a playlist & listen to a few tracks. You then ionstruct them to put it behind their back & continue scrolling, stop on one & listen through the ear phones at which track they have chosen. The earphones are pulled out & the iPod put away. You then play it up however you wish & tell them their song.

Russ
www.smartmagic.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:15 am 
born to perform.

russpie wrote:
iKnow by Jason Palter. You hand them your iPod, let them scroll through a playlist & listen to a few tracks. You then ionstruct them to put it behind their back & continue scrolling, stop on one & listen through the ear phones at which track they have chosen. The earphones are pulled out & the iPod put away. You then play it up however you wish & tell them their song.

Russ
www.smartmagic.co.uk

It's been half a year...I believe he's found something

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:20 am 
born to perform.

Well the props are much less important than the personality. There's a lot you can get with just some cold reading and a lot of charisma. One idea I've had using such aparatus though is for an affect where the spectator thinks of a word that you have predicted (dressed up any way you want.) Here's the idea...

Whatever presentation you are going to use or method of getting the words to match you need to basicly throw the word that you are trying to force into the presentation. This needs to be subtle and occasionaly say it as though you've tripped over your words. When the revalation has taken place and the shock died down ask if they have any idea how it was done.

While you were pattering at the start you were recording the whole thing maybe using a mobile phone or similar aparatus. You play back the recording and tell them to listen closely. They will hear the word said over and over to them. This of cource will mean you are eliminating telepathic ideas in favour of a more psychological presentation but will get a double reaction as you will be credited for your skill.

Here's an example of what I'm getting at... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=befugtgikMg

Edit I just read your last post revalation and then checked the date of the origonal post lol lol how did this get dug up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:56 am 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
how did this get dug up?
Some are desperate for posts...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:28 pm 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
russpie wrote:

Russ
www.smartmagic.co.uk

It's been half a year...I believe he's found something
I wasn't for his benefit, it was for anyone else who may have searched...I believe it's called being helpful :wink:

Russ