View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stopping a watch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:53 pm 
Penguin

Hi guys,

1) When you want to stop a watch with the M5, where do you place it: wrist, knee other?

2) Does the M5 interfere with mikrophones and a like?

3) I've the M5 and want to stop the watch in the spectators hand or while I'm holding it. I need to be standing. Any suggestions?

Sincerly,

Mikkel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:48 pm 
born to perform.

1) Wrist.
2) Don't know, havent tried.
3) I usually stop the watch while it's on the spectators wrist. This is the tru power of the M5, most watch stops you have to take the watch off the spectators rist but I have found two positions that work really well. The first is having the M5 on my wrist and pointing upwards and holding the spectators wrist so the magnet go through their arm and stops the watch. My other hand is usually making some dramatic gesture to make it look like Im straining.
The second position is just as powerful. The spectator extends their wristand I hold both my hands above it with the M5 on my right wrist. I then bring them to the sides slightly and then clench my fists and start to make them tremble slightly. After performing this way alot, I have found that the second hand doesn't stop until it has com around to the 9 and 10 oclock area or which ever side the magnet is on. This is really interesting because your hands doent do anything funny and they are in the same position when it is moving and when it is stopping.
Hope this helps my friend and happy watch-stopping!

*One really important tip is to check out the watch before you stop it. If the second hand is ticking and moving in a jagged 1...2...3...etc. fashion then it is okay to stop but if it slowly and smoothly makes its way around in a full circle and doesnt tick STAY AWAY. A magnet could seriously destroy the internals of a watch like this. Also, most of the watchs that are like this are Omega, Rolex and all the upperclass brands that can cost $500 and upwards to repair.
Keep that in mind,
Rev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:22 am 
born to perform.

If you use a good hand free microphone it won't destroy it.

However if you use a conventrional microphone and it's on your wrist, you will screw your microphone, or it will make weird noises.

~Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:08 am 
Penguin

Thanks for your advice. Let me just see if I got them correct?

First 2 more questions.

A) I've considered sowing a pocket into some of my shirt sleeves to the m5. Do you use the strap provided in the package or carry it somehow else? I always perform in suit.

B) I'm not sure if my m5 is as strong as yours. I'm only able to stop watches within 2-3 inches. Same with you?

1) They have their left hand pointing upwards (assume watch on left). Their arm is held in a 90 degree position. (assume m5 on left wrist) I take hold on their wrist with my left hand, and I'll be able to stop their watch through their arm? right arm acts as misdirection. In this case, doesn't the magnet on your wrist contact their wrist? I mean, can't they feel the magnet?

2) they hold left hand out. (assume m5 on my left wrist) Just move both hands a couple of inches on both sides of their hand.

Mikkel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:03 am 
born to perform.

A) I use the strap that is provided when it is on my wrist. I do this because I can easily slip it off behind a stand-up case, under a table and I have even done it (using misdirection) in my own pocket; leaving me absolutely clean. When it is on my knee I use a strap that I created. If you sew the M5 into your sleeve, your sleeve may look: bulky, heavy, unnatural, etc. I'd use the strap.
B) Same with me.
1) They hold their arm out with the watch face upwards. My magnet lightly contacts the bottom of the band of the watch not the wrist, I have never had anyone call me out. I do suggest, however, that if you are performing this in more of a stand-up or even a stage-like setting, where the audience are gathered in mostly on direction or are seated. You have the M5 on your RIGHT wrist, this is because you should be standing with your body slightly towards the audience, dont block them of with your shoulders (they would be blocked off if you had the M5 on your left). This is assuming that most people wear their watches on their left, as is traditional. It is important to have a sort of window where the audience or other spectators can look in. I'm sorry if that made no sense...it would be easier to show you than to type it out.
2)Correct...try it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:47 am 
Penguin

very usefull.

Thanks

In my presentation I often tell them, that the watch havn't stopped, they just thought it would and thats what happend. Kind of hallucination. Strong reactions.

What are yours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:51 am 
born to perform.

I begin by talking about human's fascination with time. I talk about Einstein and other historical figures. I then ask them to imagine all the possibilties if you had the power to control time, life could last forever, etc. I then say it is possible but only with intense focus. Begin routine.

Note*
I might post a video performance sometime soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:07 am 
Penguin

That would be extremely helpfull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:51 am 
Penguin

I've tried different things now, and they are working beautiful.

I thinking of getting a watchmaker to get a powerfull magnet somehow buildt in to one of my watches. Has anyone tried this?? Where to get the magnet? What kind of magnet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 pm 
born to perform.

Look into Luke Jermay's building block, he got an interesting watch stop routine that is more visual for stage then just stopping time.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:07 pm 
Penguin

Thanks max....

But that doesn't clearify my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:34 am 
born to perform.

The concept of putting a magnet inside a watch for a watch stop is not a new one. There is a product on the market called 'Paradox' or 'paradime' or something, it's technically the same thing. if you want it to be done custom look into Neodine Earth Magnets. It may be hard to get a watchmaker to do it and it may not really be that powerful...at all. Why do you want it in a watch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:10 am 
Penguin

Thanks for your reply.

I think that it's more clean and comfortable if it's in a watch.

I read in some forum someone who had done it with great succes, and I just wanted to know, if anyone of you had a good knowledge of such things?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:51 am 
Penguin

I just thought of something - a watch stop would go great with Control by WH, they kind of go hand in hand.

Also I'd like to ask, is the M5 really worth the money just for a strong magnet?
I'd only be using it for a watch stop anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 am 
born to perform.

pingumagic wrote:
I just thought of something - a watch stop would go great with Control by WH, they kind of go hand in hand.

Also I'd like to ask, is the M5 really worth the money just for a strong magnet?
I'd only be using it for a watch stop anyway.

www.Kjmagnetics.com

M5= 25$

cheers,
max.

EDIT: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BX8X84
$10

max.