View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Outlaw-Effects booktests
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:51 am 
born to perform.

Hey guys,
I recently discovered this mentalism website - http://www.outlaw-effects.com/outlaweffects/
I think some of the products look really awesome, especially the book tests. I am particularly interested in Luna, their latest product. I was just interested to know if anyone had bought anything from this site or knew anything good or bad about the book tests.
Thanks,
Rev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:12 am 
born to perform.

Outlaws sells top notch quality items,

Roth (the owner of the shop) is someone which is interested by bizzare things, vintage props etc.

I heard very good reviews about Luna but fortunately I'm on a budget and I can't afford it for now, but it's on the list.

Outlaw is very known for their booktests, they are known because of a method much of them use and it's genious.

I have ordered a few things from them, and I'm ordering the scorpion soon because I want a good russian roulette effect.

And I might say that Roth pay particular attention before he ships something, it might take some time before you have it, but the wait is worth it, everything is well presented well prepared, really shows his workman quality.

There are some effects I heard which people don't like, but overall it's a great website!
~Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:56 pm 
born to perform.

Go Magic Go did some very thorough reviews on these booktests. You are a listener aren't you? Anyway, they reviewed these a long time ago.

Super force glass lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:23 pm 
Penguin

I've only heard great comments about these book tests.

But unfortunately these won't work for me as I live in Finland, and the themes of these books are not quite workable for me.

And added that I don't like book tests, expect the occasional performance of David Hoy's book test.

If you're interested in this kind of stuff, I've heard that Outlaw-effects is the best in business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:49 pm 
born to perform.

Thougth it would never ever beat the Brook Test,

Google paul brooks
~Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:59 pm 
born to perform.

evanbishop wrote:
Go Magic Go did some very thorough reviews on these booktests. You are a listener aren't you? Anyway, they reviewed these a long time ago.

Super force glass lives

Yeah, I remember Andrew reviewing Homicide, I think, a while back and if I remember correctly...the review wasn't favourable. Do you know which episode it is one? I would like to listen to it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:29 pm 
born to perform.

Sorry, I don't really know, however I will look, maybe. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:13 pm 
Penguin

Bliztmagic (and anyone else who has an indepth knowledge as concerning book tests)

Outlaw do offer fine gaffed book tests (the Witch's Almanac is something very special). However which would you recommend as being the finest ungaffed book test in existance. I note that you mention the 'Brook Test' by Paul Brook. Would you rate this over say the David Hoy,Val Andrews and Josh Zandman book tests and if so why?

I ask because I am exploring the area at the moment. There are so many different book tests that it is all a bit confusing! I am basically looking for a method of achieving a presentation with an ungaffed book that does not involve the mentalist having to 'riffle' through the pages of the book to stop at a page. I want the presentation to be as hands off as possible. I am currently investigating with the Annemann Premier book test experimenting with the Osterlind B.C.S and the 14/15 stacks to gain the necessary info.

With best wishes Andy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:58 pm 
born to perform.

Andrew12345 wrote:
Bliztmagic (and anyone else who has an indepth knowledge as concerning book tests)

Outlaw do offer fine gaffed book tests (the Witch's Almanac is something very special). However which would you recommend as being the finest ungaffed book test in existance. I note that you mention the 'Brook Test' by Paul Brook. Would you rate this over say the David Hoy,Val Andrews and Josh Zandman book tests and if so why?

I ask because I am exploring the area at the moment. There are so many different book tests that it is all a bit confusing! I am basically looking for a method of achieving a presentation with an ungaffed book that does not involve the mentalist having to 'riffle' through the pages of the book to stop at a page. I want the presentation to be as hands off as possible. I am currently investigating with the Annemann Premier book test experimenting with the Osterlind B.C.S and the 14/15 stacks to gain the necessary info.

With best wishes Andy.

Hi Andy,

The brook test is as far as I can say ''Naked'' and the spectator open to any page and select any word. The Brook test is Paul Brook advancements on the classic Hoy book test, however he brougth it a step further with the '' Look at any word on that page ''. This will work with any book, even borrowed.

He deals with different techniques to acheive the same effect.

I am also currently working on a tossed out book test, where you will be able to tell what each person read one by one (not using Hoy reveals in classic Tossed out decks). But as far as it goes I don't think I will publish it until I use it quite a lot.

But I would definately look at the Brook test! It's one fo my favorite, there are also a few book test availiable in the book Peek Performances by Richard Busch, however I don't like them much, and there is a bit of restriction to which book you can use.

Hope this helps!
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:30 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Max that does help. Good luck with your efforts. It sounds promising. I think I will indeed buy the Brook test. The book tests from Richard Busch's 'Peak performances' sound a little bit too bold. This is one of difficulties of creating a booktest-getting the balance right in this respect. I guess that it all depends on the performer.Some performers thrive on boldness (Tamariz, Darren Brown come to mind!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:08 pm 
born to perform.

Andrew12345 wrote:
Thanks Max that does help. Good luck with your efforts. It sounds promising. I think I will indeed buy the Brook test. The book tests from Richard Busch's 'Peak performances' sound a little bit too bold. This is one of difficulties of creating a booktest-getting the balance right in this respect. I guess that it all depends on the performer.Some performers thrive on boldness (Tamariz, Darren Brown come to mind!)

Derren Brown is not bold,
Just a lot of pre-show :D

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 pm 
Penguin

L.O.L ....and you could say the same for Paul Brook!!!! I do like his demo of a booktest where the woman 'happens' to choose a book by Nostradamus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:42 am 
born to perform.

Andrew12345 wrote:
L.O.L ....and you could say the same for Paul Brook!!!! I do like his demo of a booktest where the woman 'happens' to choose a book by Nostradamus.

There's nothing wrong about preshow, just saying the facts.
hehe.

Max.