View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hypnosis
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:42 am 
Penguin

I think it goes under this category. Has anyone practiced hypnosis and any suggestions for a beginner =]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:40 am 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
That didn't make sense?

If your asking where a good place to start hypnotism, Id say for a quick and visual start, although very informative and easy to follow get; Speed Trance with Richard Nondgard and John Cerbone. For some suggestion 'Sleight of Mind' and perhaps 'Building Blocks', but that has alot of bizaree stuff too.

Pauldela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:14 am 
born to perform.

Sorry I just re read, your not asking for suggestion lol your asking for suggestions on how to practise haha.

Practise on family, friends anyone who you can get your hands on, although you may not be able (you can) to hypnotise them, try anyway because it only gets you confident with what you have to do and say. Maybe if your a member of a club or you can meet strangers, but if your with strangers try build a context for the hypnotism, for example if somone says somthing to per say 'i cant sleep easy at night' say you can hypno them to sleep easier.

Pauldela

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:28 am 
Penguin

Thanks, let me clear it up a bit, this is what I'm asking:
- does anyone on penguin practice hypnotism
- if there is, what can a beginner use to understand concepts and ideas better of what to say and how to do it successfully. one thing i want to learn is the handshake induction but i cant seem to find it anywhere with proper step by step instructions that are easy to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:31 am 
born to perform.

I suggest you PM BliztMagic. He practises hypnosis regularly and has helped me out with a few questions on the subject.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:25 am 
Penguin

Will do :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:34 am 
Penguin

I should note that one shouldn't really practice hypnosis without actually taking classes or being trained by another certified hypnosis. It is very irresponsible. Before you hypnotize someone, tell them that your training has involved reading 2 books and watching 1 DVD on it. I can guarantee that you won't find many adults who would allow you to perform hypnosis on them after you tell them of how you learned hypnosis.

Kids just think hypnosis is cool though and don't really care about waiting to learn it the proper way. Your audience would care though if you told them.

One thing a book or DVD won't teach you...

abreaction n. In psychoanalysis, a release or discharge of emotional energy following the recollection of a painful memory that has been repressed. It can occur spontaneously or during psychotherapy, especially under hypnosis, and may lead to catharsis

Then there are Contra Indications. Just by hypnotizing certain people, negative situations can arise.

The person is Schizophrenic
The person is taking medication for / is deeply depressed.
The Person has recently suffered a nervous breakdown
The person has recently undergone Electro Convulsive Therapy

Add the 4 things from above up, and you are talking about over 10% of the population. A fairly good chance that you will mistakingly hypnotize someone who falls under the above.

The list goes on and on of the dangers of hypnosis and the people you shouldn't hypnotize. Very Few books actually cover all, if any of it.

Last edited by Lumas on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 am 
born to perform.

Lumas wrote:
I should note that one shouldn't really practice hypnosis without actually taking classes or being trained by another certified hypnosis. It is very irresponsible. Before you hypnotize someone, tell them that your training has involved reading 2 books and watching 1 DVD on it. I can guarantee that you won't find many adults who would allow you to perform hypnosis on them after you tell them of how you learned hypnosis.

So true,
There are online course which can get you a certification, every two weeks they send you a bulk of dvd and training material with homework, I think it's a good initiative if you want to get serious.

To get begginer level certification it's around 300$
To get intermediate/ advanced certification it's begginer plus 400$ so to get advanced certification it's around 700$.

You can go to seminars, it's easy to find an association near your doorframe with a google search.
http://www.ngh.net/Countries/Canada.html

NGH is very good.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:50 am 
Penguin

Yeah. Once your older, you are a little more wiser about things, and so alot of people who are 18, 19, 20 practice hypnosis. I just think that 14, 15 year olds will overlook alot of things and see hypnosis as just a cool power and wind up getting themselves in trouble.

It is fairly cheap to get even a basic certification. They probably aren't great, but at least they will go over aspects of hypnosis that books won't cover. And it is a start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:26 pm 
born to perform.

Just out of interest what are we talking about here? Hypnosis as entertainment or hypnotherapy. Because with the former I implore you to be careful and not make idiots out of people who will play along with any suggestion you give them, and with the latter I implore you to be very very careful and ensure that you are fully prepared for the serious and personal nature of the task you are undertaking. Not all hypnotherapy is quitting smoking.

I have a few texts on the very basics of induction and hypnosis, and I am more than capable of hypnotising someone into being extremely relaxed and calm and giving them a way of self-inducing the same thing at a later date. However, I don't and won't be going any further than that for now as the problem I have with hypnosis is that is in no way scientific and almost entirely dependent on psychosomatic behaviour on the part of the hypnotised. Suggestive of this is the fact that you cannot hypnotise someone into doing something they don't want to. Something that is so dependent on the mind of the participant is going to get pretty unpredictable I imagine and if you're not prepared for it you're in the wrong game.

On the certificates I personally question their necessity to be honest. If I can send out fortnightly books and DVDs on common sense and how to not be silly when trying to help people in need that people might not even bother to read/watch and get £300 a certificate for it I'm clearly in the wrong job...

If you're thinking hypnosis for entertainment don't worry about the big money certificates - there's plenty out there for you to read/watch and learn. Just remember that you won't be prepared for the big things that can happen if you start digging up emotional memories or regressing into past lives or what ever. And again, don't turn into that holiday camp hypno-hack that makes people have sex with chairs or see their wives as elephants or become motorbikes - it's not big, it's not clever and it's not entertaining. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:13 pm 
Penguin

Lumas wrote:

Kids just think hypnosis is cool though and don't really care about waiting to learn it the proper way. Your audience would care though if you told them.

One thing a book or DVD won't teach you...

abreaction n. In psychoanalysis, a release or discharge of emotional energy following the recollection of a painful memory that has been repressed. It can occur spontaneously or during psychotherapy, especially under hypnosis, and may lead to catharsis

Then there are Contra Indications. Just by hypnotizing certain people, negative situations can arise.

Add the 4 things from above up, and you are talking about over 10% of the population. A fairly good chance that you will mistakingly hypnotize someone who falls under the above.

The list goes on and on of the dangers of hypnosis and the people you shouldn't hypnotize. Very Few books actually cover all, if any of it.

At one stage before i do practice this stuff i will look for a hypnotist in the area and talk about things like this and see what i have to do before i begin. I might end up taking a course or two aswell.

Lumas wrote:
Yeah. Once your older, you are a little more wiser about things, and so alot of people who are 18, 19, 20 practice hypnosis. I just think that 14, 15 year olds will overlook alot of things and see hypnosis as just a cool power and wind up getting themselves in trouble.

It is fairly cheap to get even a basic certification. They probably aren't great, but at least they will go over aspects of hypnosis that books won't cover. And it is a start.

I am 18 :?:

povallsky wrote:
Just out of interest what are we talking about here? Hypnosis as entertainment or hypnotherapy. Because with the former I implore you to be careful and not make idiots out of people who will play along with any suggestion you give them, and with the latter I implore you to be very very careful and ensure that you are fully prepared for the serious and personal nature of the task you are undertaking. Not all hypnotherapy is quitting smoking.

I have a few texts on the very basics of induction and hypnosis, and I am more than capable of hypnotising someone into being extremely relaxed and calm and giving them a way of self-inducing the same thing at a later date. However, I don't and won't be going any further than that for now as the problem I have with hypnosis is that is in no way scientific and almost entirely dependent on psychosomatic behaviour on the part of the hypnotised. Suggestive of this is the fact that you cannot hypnotise someone into doing something they don't want to. Something that is so dependent on the mind of the participant is going to get pretty unpredictable I imagine and if you're not prepared for it you're in the wrong game.

On the certificates I personally question their necessity to be honest. If I can send out fortnightly books and DVDs on common sense and how to not be silly when trying to help people in need that people might not even bother to read/watch and get £300 a certificate for it I'm clearly in the wrong job...

If you're thinking hypnosis for entertainment don't worry about the big money certificates - there's plenty out there for you to read/watch and learn. Just remember that you won't be prepared for the big things that can happen if you start digging up emotional memories or regressing into past lives or what ever. And again, don't turn into that holiday camp hypno-hack that makes people have sex with chairs or see their wives as elephants or become motorbikes - it's not big, it's not clever and it's not entertaining. Ever.

I have read about hypnosis and NLP already and i know you cannot force people to do all things - and thats fine, i dont plan on getting people to pretend there motorbikes or there having sex with a chair or anything. If i do this is will be basic stuff that does NOT harm THEM or anyone else. I won't make them look like an idiot because what goes around comes around =] If anything it will be something i will do with the person alone and won't cause problems. Also something i want to point out: I don't plan on bringing up bad bad memories from people. I'd rather change there mood to a happy mood then a depressing sad one..

Now your probably wondering what AM i planing on doing. Well for now i have a few goals in mind. I believe hypnotism works but i just want to understand how it does in a practical way. I want to try the handshake induction just to see if it really does work - i know it does but i want to practice it myself and see it with my own eyes. also i want to see how anchoring is done and how it works and test to see if the person responds. I've seen video clips on youtube and everything but still i would like to be able to perform this stuff myself and get a hands on experience. Then and only then i would consider taking it further by attending more and more courses and reading more in-depth things on the topic.

Sorry for writing an essay=D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:37 am 
Penguin

Lumas wrote:

abreaction
n. In psychoanalysis, a release or discharge of emotional energy following the recollection of a painful memory that has been repressed. It can occur spontaneously or during psychotherapy, especially under hypnosis and may lead to catharsis

trippin_out wrote:
Also something i want to point out: I don't plan on bringing up bad bad memories from people. I'd rather change there mood to a happy mood then a depressing sad one..

Again, re-read what I wrote above. It is not about you wanting to bring up a bad memory. You can make your subject access one of these negative states just by hypnotizing him. It is a risk every hypnosis has to deal with and has to know how to resolve quickly.

Again, read above and see that just by hypnotizing certain people, you are asking for trouble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:20 am 
Penguin

Relax I thought you implied that if I was to bring up a bad memory that I won't be able to deal with it. I am not planing on doing hypnosis to people in public or strangers for a LONG time, so until that happens i won't worry about it. Right now its close friends / family that i am aware of there current health conditions. And plus just to let you know i doubt your going to scare me into not doing any hypnosis at all :roll: sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:09 pm 
Penguin

I am not trying to scare you. It is your choice if you want to practice hypnosis without properly putting in the time and effort it deserves. If so, then that is your problem. I could care less if you go around performing hypnosis on others and do harm to them. Your choice.

I am just stating that there are dangers of hypnosis. They are very serious. I don't know if you have ever seen a person with PTSD go through an episode. It is extremely scary and dangerous. Hypnosis can make one of these episodes occur. That is just one of the many issues that can arise.

I am sure all your friends and family would tell you if they had been previously raped when they were younger? There is alot of information that people withhold from others. A rape victim often has PTSD. Hypnosis can cause them to relive one of these horrible experiences. A hypnotist can actually help them and make them feel better if they accidentally trigger one of these memories, but without knowing how, they situation could be very bad.

You seem like a young kid. You go out and practice something without properly putting in the proper amount of time of study. Like I said, your choice. However, I hope you aren't the type of person that would actually put people in the line of danger just because they want to run out and try to be cool by doing hypnosis.

P.S. Tell people you read one book or watched one DVD on hypnosis and that you now believe you are qualified to practice on them. Heck, say that to yourself. Does that sound logical at all??

Last edited by Lumas on Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:29 pm 
born to perform.

I preform hypnosis for fun and I havn't gone through any courses, and I would on alot of people; family members, strangers, teachers ect... I just got a very acclaimed DVD.

Although I would deffinatly not advise anyone to go and buy or even try this. Make sure your ready or else youl break somones neck.

Pauldela