View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Square
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:55 am 
Penguin

Hi Guys,

I'm wondering what kind of presentation you are using for your magic square?

I know that Derren Brown did one. Does anyone of you know his justification?

Sincerly,

Mikkel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:14 am 
born to perform.

I use the one the MAgicManDan shared a while back, I thought of it also but he posted it... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:25 am 
Penguin

could you expand on that .......

I'm looking for different presentation angles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:34 am 
born to perform.

Well I don't really pull it off as a mathmatical feat as that does not fit my character. I use the method that I learnt from Jermay's Instant Download.
I ask the person to think of a number between 1 and 100, but make it difficult so make it over 20. I get them to write down their number on a 'billet' and show the people around them. I then do Osterlind's PCT to obtain the number. I take out a clip board and draw the squares. I say that I am 'getting quite a few numbers here so Im just going to write them down' I fill in the squares appropriately for I already know their supposed secret number. I then show them the clipboard and say 'Now there are quite a few numbers on here, did I get your number?' They reply with 'no' and I act puzzled. They usually either tell me the number or I ask. I then say 'well if you add these numbers here...' Then I go into the 13 reveal. I then give them the paper to keep and deliver a rap up line.
Sometimes I dont say 'make it over 20' and just say between 1 - 100. If it is a number under 20, I just write their number big on the clipboard and ask them what the number was and reveal. I then just ask 'who wants to see it again?' I then do it all again but say 'Im getting more than one number this time...'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:14 pm 
Penguin

Does anyone know what Derren Brown's premise was?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:58 pm 
born to perform.

Where did he do his? Was it on TV? Was it on Stage? I am a massive Derren fan and have not yet run across a magic square clip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:16 pm 
born to perform.

I like revelation idea, here's mine:

I talk about how bad I am in math's, however it's possible to enter a trance which allows me to do quick calculations and hard mental problems, I introduce them to the square with a story of a mathematician that could do this feat, being one of the few being able to do it.

I tell them that there is a trick to do it with numbers below 20, so I ask them for a number higher. I then ask a lady to pick my pulse and I stop it pretending to go into an altered state.

I take the board and I write the numbers.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:26 pm 
born to perform.

I like your idea Max. Your justification for going of 20 is sound. The whole thing reminds me of Derren's walking on glass. Was he an inspiration for this presentation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:58 pm 
born to perform.

Yes,

However I haven't tried it on stage, or used a plastic bag.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:03 pm 
Penguin

I haven't performed the Magic Square a whole lot, as I am still working on patter and presentation, but mine resembles Revelation's presentation. I do have different wording, but it is essential the same idea as his. I didn't want to make it a math problem because it didn't suit me, but to each his own.

As for my particular way of doing it, I combined the ideas of Luke Jermay's magic square and John Archer's. I start off with a blank canvas and have them think of and write the number down. Do a center tear I learned from Practical Mental Magic, and sketch the square from scratch and begin filling in numbers. From there, it is similar to what Revelation stated. The memorization for this kind is murder to get down, but once you do the effect comes off great.

Sorry, but I cannot help on your Derren Brown question. I didn't even know he performed a Magic Square routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:09 am 
Penguin

Derren Brown performed it as a closer for one of his live theatre shows & got a standing ovation every night.

He got the spectator to think of a number etc, he guessed the number (out by one) then went into the reveal. There was something about introverted & extroverted people choosing numbers from different lines before the reveal.

Russ
www.smartmagic.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:28 am 
Team Penguin

i do it in two stages. one is a previously made prediction on the back of a square of wood. the front side is a grid of numbers that have already been written down. i have the spectator choose a number and i choose a number, when they are multiplied together we get a number and that is the one i predicted. now i go into luker jermays version but i dotn use the needle thing because that doesent make any sence to me. i just say, "before, i previously made a prediction, but lets see if you can I can do it completely on the spot" i remove my giant notepad and draw the squares on it and everything and go from there.