View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Chapters of Marc Spelmann
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:06 am 
Penguin

Hi,
I've seen a few good recommendations (and subsequently found a lot of good reviews) lately for Spelmann and Nardi's set 'The Unexpected' so I'll be getting that in my next order.

Looking around I also noticed the set 'Chapters of Marc Spelmann' (4DVDs)
http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=10437
I can't seem to find any reviews for it though.

I'm not looking for a review so much as some recommendations for or against the set seeing as I'm not really familiar with Spelmann's work myself. Also, if you could let me know if the routines are suitable for smaller (close up) audiences.
I know it would make sense to wait and get this in a separate order but I'm from Australia so it's more convenient to get a fair bit at once... At the same time it's quite expensive so I don't want to get it and end up disappointed.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could share any opinions you may have about the product.
Thanks,
Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:52 am 
born to perform.

I don't own chapters, but Mark Spellman alway has good material, much of his dvd's are underated and should be known much more than this.

I don't own it, but I would go for it.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 am 
Penguin

I owned the Unexpected set and I really enjoyed it. However, alot of people dislike it because the material contained in it is very simple. I liked it though just for the fact that you can carry a whole act around in one pocket.

I also own Outside the Conventional, which is by Christopher Taylor, but Spelmann helps with the explanations of every effect on the DVD. Spelmann is so thorough about covering every possible angle of the presentation and mechanics of each effect. I love this DVD because of the presentations. Most of the presentations deal with having the spectator closing their eyes and imagining a place and coming back with something tangible from that imaginary place. A really cool and powerful concept.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorde ... hp?ID=9453

The DVD set that you are talking about looks good. The amount of effects, and 4 DVDs for only $84.00 ($75.50 with Penguin discount) seems like a steal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:35 pm 

The 4 disc set is a rerelease of 4 DVDs he released a while back. I've got the first and I think it's great. The material isn't hard at all and will play to a larger audience. I'd imagine the rest of the set is similar. I don't really like his style of performing much though, so I'm reworking part of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:35 pm 
Penguin

Actually, you might want to check these reviews out of the set exodus is talking about (which is the same as the re-release I think).

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... &forum=111

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:38 pm 
Penguin

Hi guys,
thanks a lot for the replies. I appreciate it.

After reading the MagicCafe forum (thanks Lumas) I think I'll stick with the unexplained for now. I'm relatively new to all types of magic so it's probably a better idea for me to really develop some more basic routines as opposed to under-performing 30 other routines.

I've had Annemann's book for about a month now but haven't really had a chance to explore it yet. My uni break starts today though so I'll be working on developing my mentalism!!!

Because I'm more of a beginner I don't really post much but I enjoy reading all of your tips!!

Anyway, thanks again!
Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 am 
Penguin

actuly i got the set about a week ago let me tell you this is awsome stuff, most of my show i did on saturday came from this set, i completely recommend it. if any questions email me at chito4@msn.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:48 am 
Penguin

chito4 wrote:
actuly i got the set about a week ago let me tell you this is awsome stuff, most of my show i did on saturday came from this set, i completely recommend it. if any questions email me at chito4@msn.com

Seeing that you received the DVD a week ago, and then performed a show with the effects you learned after only a few days of practice, your recommendation means very little. Most of your show came from a DVD you had for just a few days.... At least respect Spelmann a little more and put in the time and effort his effects deserve no matter how simple they may be.