View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: On Mephisto's Shoulder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 pm 
Penguin

Does anybody have this? Is it any good? Also, I found this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/On-Mephistos-Should ... .m14.l1318 Is this guy for real, seems like a nice discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:45 pm 
Penguin

What is you obsession with Paul Brooks lately. Is his stuff good? Maybe. Is there better material out there for much less? YES. Supposedly the man has sold 1,000s of books, but yet there aren't even 20 reviews on all the magic sites combined of all his books. There is alot of good material out there. Don't get sucked into the hype that expensive products are better than cheap ones.

If you can't find reviews on a product, it usually is a bad sign. I know alot of working mentalists who say his stuff is good, but that there are much better books on the same topics for less.... Absolute Magic and Pure Effect use to sell for $35.00 when they were in print. Brooks charges $60, $80, etc. for his books.

Stick with some cheap, basic mentalism books, and if you still feel the need to waste your money on over priced books, then go out and do so.

Take for example, Mind, Myth and Magic. It contains over 800 pages of mentalism and is considered to be one of the greatest books on mentalism ever created. It only costs about $50 dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:35 am 
born to perform.

Ditto,

In complete honesty though, without any hyping, I can tell you that Paul Brooks material is very good. However the best he written is probably Alchemical tools, it's what Darwin Ortiz did for magic but for mentalism.

Mind Myth and Magic is one great book, you won't have enough of your lifetime to read everything contained within its page, the author used to sell booklets going for 300$, in this book all the booklets are brought together for 50$...

I would recommend PRISM also, I loved this book!
max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:11 am 
Penguin

I just think that if you are somewhat new to mentalism, you should buy a few of the cheaper books first, so you can learn a variety of different effects. After that, move on to the more expensive and limited edition books if you still feel you need to buy them.

You have to remember that most of the great mentalists grow up reading Waters, Corinda's and Annemann's work. They didn't have access to books by Paul Brooks and look how they turned out. While they might be good books, it isn't something you need to become a great mentalist. Look at all the great mentalists of the last 20 years. On the other hand, you do need to read Corina, Annemann, Dunninger, Shiels, Waters, etc. to become a great mentalist in most cases.

And Max, I forgot to ask you, but I heard Prism uses alot of stooging?

Last edited by Lumas on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 am 
born to perform.

Its been a while since I read prism, but I'm pretty sure there are only around 2 effects that have stooges, if that. Any of the effects I remember from it, do not use a stooge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:20 pm 
Penguin

The first effect in Prism, Desire, is very clever.

Here are two additional recommendations for a large, but relatively inexpensive, collection of quality techniques and routines:

Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy
Act Two by Barrie Richardson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 am 
born to perform.

I agree,

Paul books are more rewardfull for the working mentalist or advanced hobbyist, sure they are truly a great read even if you don't work in the feild. But I too somewhat began to look at older material, I missed on a lot of great DvD's like Richard Osterlind mind mysteries series, Osterlind became one of my favorite mentalist and his effects are simple and play big.

Those are the old school books I like the most:
- 13 steps
- Mind myth and magic
- Theater of the mind
- Prism.

I like anneman work for his contribution but I don't use any of his effects.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:28 am 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
Its been a while since I read prism, but I'm pretty sure there are only around 2 effects that have stooges, if that. Any of the effects I remember from it, do not use a stooge.

There are four.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:13 pm 
Penguin

I bought his alchemical tools a while back and believed I was buying a book that would seriously give me powerful psychological techniques, I was totally misguided. be it my own fault or/and that I was caught up in the hype and was sucked into buying it, I should have saved my money. it was supposed to be the latest and marketed as derren brownish. I didn't feel I got anything out of it that was worth the amount I spent on it. one major reason for buying it was jeff mcbride's review of it. I was rereading absolute magic and derren says "Madonna, surely the world's best female performed after jeff mcbride, once said to me 'Out. Get out.' ".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:48 pm 
born to perform.

Bliztmagic wrote:
bucky310 wrote:

There are four.
Max.

So there you go 4 out of that many tricks use a stooge. If I remember correctly, they are also just using a two-way communication thing too aren't they? At least in one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:18 pm 
Penguin

thewinterline wrote:
I bought his alchemical tools a while back and believed I was buying a book that would seriously give me powerful psychological techniques, I was totally misguided. be it my own fault or/and that I was caught up in the hype and was sucked into buying it, I should have saved my money. it was supposed to be the latest and marketed as derren brownish. I didn't feel I got anything out of it that was worth the amount I spent on it. one major reason for buying it was jeff mcbride's review of it. I was rereading absolute magic and derren says "Madonna, surely the world's best female performed after jeff mcbride, once said to me 'Out. Get out.' ".

No offense, but if you do not perform Mentalism regularly and know quite a bit about it, you probably won't get much out of this book. It isn't meant to be a book of tricks. It is suppose to make your mentalism stronger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:22 am 
born to perform.

absolutely,

Sir, in all honesty there is no ''magicial psychological technique'', Derren Brown effects are not acheived with psychology or NLP, it's all pre-show or neat camera edits.

AT is full of psychological techniques to make people believe into what you do, to make your effects stronger, it's also full of real world advices for the working mentalists. If you are just an hobbyist that don't want to perform this book is simply not for you, hence the price.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:18 am 
Penguin

I got virtually nothing from alchemical tools, a big waste of money and time. And so I advise any one to avoid paul brooks material. the advise he gives is so basic as I read it I got more and more irritated. if you want to learn to be a mentalist do not invest in his books, go get banachek, knepper and/or jermay to name a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:17 am 
born to perform.

thewinterline wrote:
I got virtually nothing from alchemical tools, a big waste of money and time. And so I advise any one to avoid paul brooks material. the advise he gives is so basic as I read it I got more and more irritated. if you want to learn to be a mentalist do not invest in his books, go get banachek, knepper and/or jermay to name a few.

You thought you would become Derren Brown with Alchemical Tools?
There is no magical psychological technique, psychology used in mentalism is just that, strenghtening your routines.

Stop buying book teaching only BS and buy some real mentalism book, then ask yourself how you could make people believe that you use psychology to acheive what you do.

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:21 pm 
born to perform.

Give him a break max, he's new. He needs to make some mistakes before getting good. The best way to have gone about it though would have been to search the Magic Cafe for advice on mentalism. That or ask Max, he can recommend many great books for your skill level and purpose. Every magician needs to learn at some point that they will be disappointed with something they bought, its good that he got it out early.