View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Banachek PSI 1-4 Vs Osterlind Mind Mysteries 1-5
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:34 pm 
Penguin

Which of the two sets is better in you opinion, I know both are great but any thoughts on which to get first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:54 pm 
Penguin

It really depends on what you are looking to do.

If you are not going to do muscle reading (volume 3 of PSI) or metal bending (vol. 4 of PSI), then obviously,the Osterlind series would be the better choice.

I personally mixed and matched them together based on the effect descriptions. They are both amazing sets of DVDs and they should be in every mentalists' collection.

You can't go wrong with either set, but just see what effects interest you and purchase those DVDs no matter if it is Banachek or Osterlind.

P.S. If you really want to include cards in your act, then get Osterlind MM Vol.2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 pm 

Derek, they're both great sets. Osterlind's volume 2 focuses on his Breakthrough Card System. If you're not wanting to touch a deck of cards, you could skip that, though it is awesome. Osterlind also has 7 DVDs in his Mind Mysteries. Banachek has 2 DVDs devoted to very specialized topics, that you may not be interested in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:02 pm 
born to perform.

Who is the better mentalist though, Banachek or Osterlind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:16 am 
born to perform.

Maloney123 wrote:
Who is the better mentalist though, Banachek or Osterlind?
Thats complete opinion. They have different performing styles. I have to say that Osterlind's style and approach to mentalism suits me more than Banachek's but it would be different for others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:42 am 
born to perform.

I love Osterlind persona, very funny and entertaining, his teaching is a bit boring at times, but his shows are amazing.

I liked Banachek psi series 2, for the Ring of truth that can be performed anywhere anytime, and the Q&A is just brillant.

I prefer mind mysteries over ETMMM.
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:55 am 
born to perform.

Bliztmagic wrote:
I love Osterlind persona, very funny and entertaining, his teaching is a bit boring at times, but his shows are amazing.

I liked Banachek psi series 2, for the Ring of truth that can be performed anywhere anytime, and the Q&A is just brillant.

I prefer mind mysteries over ETMMM.
Max.
Agreed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:13 am 
Penguin

I think Osterlind is boring as heck.

I have to say that I think Banachek is a much better performer. Again, this is all just personal opinion.

I also like ETMMM alot. I think MM has some good stuff, but alot of it isn't even mentalism such as Linking finger rings, torn and restored sugar packet, miracle flying cards, industrial strength link blackjack demonstration, coin snatch, original inside out, etc.

I honestly love every DVD by Banachek and Osterlind. They all contain great effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:54 am 
born to perform.

Lumas wrote:
I think Osterlind is boring as heck.

I have to say that I think Banachek is a much better performer. Again, this is all just personal opinion.

I also like ETMMM alot. I think MM has some good stuff, but alot of it isn't even mentalism such as Linking finger rings, torn and restored sugar packet, miracle flying cards, industrial strength link blackjack demonstration, coin snatch, original inside out, etc.

I honestly love every DVD by Banachek and Osterlind. They all contain great effects.
Why?
**This is asked in an intrigued manner, not an arrogant one. I believe every opinion should be supported.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:59 am 
Penguin

Everyone is attracted to different personality types. It is the reason why some people are your friends and others are not.

I find Banachek to be very personable and I am always interested in seeing the outcome of his effects. He just seems very fun, lively and engaging.

I find Osterlind to have this very dead look on his face and he almost puts me to sleep. Osterlind's presentation style is the standard one that him and every other mentalist now use (boring in my opinion). I think his effects are amazing, and the patter is great. I just don't think he presents them well. Most of the mentalists and magicians I know say the same thing. There were discussions on the Cafe about his lack of personality before.

I hope your not gauging how great the performers are based on the laughable paid audience. They give some of the most over the top reactions you will ever see. Case in point, the dude with the blond hair who goes nuts during the Radar Deck performance and just about every other performance of Osterlind's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:15 am 
born to perform.

Dont get me started on the L&L audience...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 am 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
Dont get me started on the L&L audience...

Rofl.

If anyone is wondering about the L&L audience, check out this video of the Radar Deck. Keep an eye out for the dude in the green shirt. The best part is around 2:16 -2:30.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9wSEenzsKPY

P.S. I should note that I actually like Osterlind alot in this video. It is one of his really good performances.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:42 am 
born to perform.

Good bless he was not part of the audience in some of his other videos... Lol... Funny that you state this point.

max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:34 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for your the help, I just went with #1 dvd of both banachek and osterlind to get a feel for each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:19 am 
born to perform.

dhoodrat wrote:
Thanks for your the help, I just went with #1 dvd of both banachek and osterlind to get a feel for each.
That's probably a good idea. Let us know watcha think.