View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Weakness: A Hypnotic Experience (Free Effect)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 pm 
born to perform.

THE WEAKNESS

Effect: The magician pulls out a single half dollar, places it on the spectators hand, and she is able to feel the weight. Obviously a rather light object. It is then placed on the table, and the magician offers to try an experiment in hypnosis, one which will temporarily eliminate the spectator's physical strength. The coin will be used as the subject.

The magician looks deep into the spectator's eyes, and suddenly snaps his fingers, suggesting the spectator has just been placed into the temprary trance. The half dollar is laid flat on the table, and the magician uses a single finger to gently push the half dollar over toward the spectator. He then asks the spectator to return the favour, and use a single finger to push the coin back in his direction. She attempts and, alas, cannot move the coin at all. As much as she strains, the coin will not budge. The magician then immediately pushes it further toward the spectator with great ease, and asks the spectator to return the favour. Again, she finds it impossible to move the coin at all. With another snap of the fingers, the magician breaks the hypnotic trance and the spectator can now easily push the coin along the table.

Method: Unfortunately, this is not an impromptu effect. But what I love about it is that there is no switch required for the coin at any time in the routine... the same coin is in play from beginning to end.

To perform this effect, you will require a felt close-up pad, and a gimmick known as a Hook Coin. This is available at many magic shops and is simply a half dollar with a tiny little hooked pin on one side. This is useful for a hold out or a complete vanish of the coin, since it can easily attach itself to the magician's clothing. Buying a hook coin was, in my opinion, well worth it just to perform this little idea... I've used it a few times and it gets fantastic reactions.

First off, a test run... place the Hook Coin on your close up mat with the pin's tip facing in your direction. The pin side of the coin is facing down at this point. Use one finger, and push the coin forward. Easily accomplished, right? Now, rotate the coin 180 degrees so the tip of the pin is facing away from you. Try to repeat the pushing action. You will find it is completely impossible. This is because the tiny hook has attached itself to the felt of the close-up pad and will not detach itself unless the coin is picked up or moved back in the opposite direction. This is essentially the method. Make sure you have the Hook Coin in your pocket, and a close-up pad readily available, and you're all set to perform!

In performance, make sure the spectator sits opposite to where you are positioned. Lay down the close-up pad, and remove the half dollar. Now, with precise management and positioning, you may even place the coin flat on the spectator's hand and allow them to feel the weight of the coin. However, if you don't want to risk them feeling or seeing the tiny hook, you may start off with an ungimmicked coin and execute a switch, or simply not let them hold the coin at all. After all, they do have the general idea of how much a coin weighs.

Explain that you wish to try a simple hypnosis experiment to which there will be no dangerous effects or permanent damage. Place the coin close to the back edge of your close-up pad (the edge closest to you). When you place it down, make sure the hook side of the coin is face down, and the hook's tip is pointing in your direction.

Quickly gaze into the spectator's eyes and suddenly snap your fingers. This implies the trance has officially been placed, temprarily draining the strength from the spectator. To prove this, use your single index finger to gently push the coin toward the spectator. Stop pushing when the coin has reached the center of the mat. Ask the spectator to repeat this, using a single finger to try to push the coin back over to you. She can push as hard as she wants, the coin will never move. Trust me, no damage will come to your coin... there is not enough strength in the index finger to cause the hook gimmick any harm.

The spectator will be disoriented. When she has finished trying to push the coin, reach over and gently pick it up a few inches off the table, explaining how light it is and how she shouldn't have any trouble moving it. Place it back down flat on the pad, making sure the hook is still in the same direction it originally was in. Use your index finger and push the coin even closer to the spectator. Ask her to repeat the process, and again, she cannot. This is really a stunning and powerful moment, so allow it to sink in.

At this point, pick the coin up off the table, and with the other hand, snap your fingers, thus brining the spectator out of her trance. When doing this, secretly rotate the coin around 180 degrees so the hook's tip now points in the direction of the spectator. Place the coin back down on the table, and allow her to try pushing it toward you again. This time, she will be successful, therefore meaning the trance has been broken and the bizarre experience has come to an end.

Michael Kras

Any thoughts, comments, questions, or possible history on this? It is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:28 pm 
born to perform.

cool effect, but I guess it damages your pad (makes holes in it), but overall it seems nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:30 pm 
born to perform.

The pin is so tiny, no holes are made at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:05 pm 
Penguin

Cool effect. Does penguin sell hook coin's??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:38 am 
born to perform.

Not from my search, they do not. But, they are pretty easy to come by. A quick google search will get you what you want.

Glad you like the effect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 am 
born to perform.

The only problem I see running into on this is the coin absolutely needing to be on the pad. If someone were to suspect your pad (for example if you don't normally use one) then they may ask to see it done on a regular table. Or if someone would like you to repeat the trick at a different place, on a different day and you're without your pad... you can't. It sounds like a good idea, and that's the only flaw I can see in it. But I haven't read it thoroughly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:32 am 
Penguin

I like the idea, but I also suspect your close up pad will eventually be ruined by spectators who really, really try to push the coin.

Also, it seems more fitted for magicians, which is very out of place for hypnosis. Mentalists don't carry around close up pads and I really only see a hypnosis effect fitting in with mentalism.

Sure, you could perform it if you were a magician, but I strongly believe that you need to have a certain persona, and you can't change it mid-way during you act. "Watch me produce this dove, watch me do and ACR, now watch me hypnotize you." That is personally something I would never do.

If I happen to ever perform mentalism with a pad, then I would do this. Sounds cool man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:35 am 
born to perform.

To me this is a great idea, however it just need to be tuned in!

The idea about the coin being gimicked or stuck to the table is a neat idea, but what about using this as a strong convincer to make your suggestion work, all you would need is a strong Neo Magnet in your shoe, or straped to your knee.

Candian coins would work well, or you could use someone coin and switch it for a shimmed coin.

I won't expose anything about suggestion, there are plenty of books out there, but it can be a very strong convincer, have them push the coin, then place the magnet under the table and have them push it some more, you can juice the presentation, place your palm in front of their eyes and suck all their energy, or you can present it as hypnotism.

If you have a PK ring to use as a coin, then it would stick really well, however it wouldn't widstand the inspection.

Now you can stop using the magnet, and have them do all sort of german magnet stunts.

What do you guys think?
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:05 pm 
born to perform.

Thank you all for the great suggestions!

I don't see the pad as being a suspicious tool, as long as it is used throughout your full set. Spectators should recognize it as your working surface and not find it suspicious.

I like Bliztmagic's ideas too! However, you'd have to find an excellent and veyr strong magnet, because there is a possibility that you could still move it a tad with the use of a magnet. There is also a noise issue.

Lumas... The pad should not be ruined. The hook on a hook coin is positioned in such a way that the only way it could tear your pad is if it was dragged, not pushed. No problems with that so far!

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are really great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:20 pm 
born to perform.

MichaelKras wrote:
Thank you all for the great suggestions!

I don't see the pad as being a suspicious tool, as long as it is used throughout your full set. Spectators should recognize it as your working surface and not find it suspicious.

I like Bliztmagic's ideas too! However, you'd have to find an excellent and veyr strong magnet, because there is a possibility that you could still move it a tad with the use of a magnet. There is also a noise issue.

Lumas... The pad should not be ruined. The hook on a hook coin is positioned in such a way that the only way it could tear your pad is if it was dragged, not pushed. No problems with that so far!

Thank you all for your suggestions, they are really great!
I might have to pick that type of coin up. It sounds like it could have a lot of possibilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:58 pm 
born to perform.

The thing is not having the magnet completly hold the coin down. It is used simply as a convincer if you use real suggestion, as then push it you can say '' And you get weaker, and weaker and weaker '' while putting the magnet closer, and then you don't put it any closer and they will keep getting weaker, if you know how to use hypnotic suggestions though.

Really like the idea, good thinking!
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:19 am 

That's pretty clever. I've been looking for a reason to use a Hooked Coin. I don't feel comfortable using them for what they're designed for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:21 am 
born to perform.

Yep I like people who try to be original with their effects! Not rambled old material!

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:43 am 
Penguin

MichaelKras wrote:
Not from my search, they do not. But, they are pretty easy to come by. A quick google search will get you what you want.

Glad you like the effect!

look up hooked half. The ones I've found on penguin are made by tango

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:27 am 
Team Penguin

A small little idea. if you want to do this on a table surface, Im not sure if this works, but maybe filling the surface of the coin with double stick tape. the magician can push it because he is standing and with little ease he can push it accross. the the spectator sitting down will naturally come in on a downward angle and will push it down before pushing. it will stick to the surface.