View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mind Reading Card Trick.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:46 pm 
Penguin

Hey, I'm not sure if this would be considered exposure or not, it's an effect I sort of put together myself.

But yeah, here it is.

What you need, is to stack your deck, use any sort of stack you want. Use some sort of patter.

Ask them to think of any single card in the deck they want. now fan/spread the cards out in front of you so they can see the cards. ask them to remove that card from the deck and show it to everyone. Do a pass and look at the bottom card so you can tell what card they chose. Do some build up, then reveal. :D

The trick will reset instantly when you take the card back and put it on the top or bottom of the deck!

I'm not sure if this would be considered exposure since I invented the idea, but if it is I'll edit this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:20 pm 

I wouldn't go so far as say you "invented" it. It's one of the first things people learn when they learn to stack a deck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:14 pm 
born to perform.

That would work but a force may be a more effective way of performing the trick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:48 pm 
Penguin

DaveV wrote:
I wouldn't go so far as say you "invented" it. It's one of the first things people learn when they learn to stack a deck.

I guess invented wouldn't be the best choice of words, I discovered it on my own, I'm probably not the first to discover this, but I didn't find it anywhere else.

The thing I like about this trick is that they don't even name their card (like what they have to do before you reveal it on some tricks), and they think of it all on their own, no force, no nothing.

I think it's an excellent trick, and thought you guys would enjoy hearing about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:33 am 
Penguin

having a stacked deck is basically havening 52 force cards, in a way. If you like the idea of stacked decks then pick up Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz. The second I memorized his stack I went out and did the same except used an invisible deck for he reveal. that way it's possible to have them not even look a their card and then lay the one face down card next to it. BAM, they are gobsmacked. but that is just the most BASIC thing that is possible to do with his stack/any stack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:08 am 
born to perform.

Like 90% of the stuff you invent (not just in magic) has already been thought of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:59 am 
Penguin

I wouldn't say this is anything your original idea. Well yes, you probably thought about it without hearing/seeing it first. But this has actually came out as an effect by a lot of magicians.

I know Osterlind did this. His method is excatly like yours but different presentation. (Or I should say, your method is excatly like his, because I'm sure he came up with HIS method before you thought about it)

As for your reply for Dave's comment, I don't know why you're trying to say that its your original copy of idea =S Its really the simplest thing to do in magic. You did have a childhood right? I remember when I was little like at the age of 8-10, a lot of my friends would do "tricks" where they tell people to pick a card and when the card is placed back, they glimpse the card above it and then lt people shuffle the deck. Then all they need to do is to find the spectator's card by finding the card they glimpsed because it'll be next to each other. This is just similar. And those stuffs are used very often by little kids. So yea...

But of course, good contribution by posting your idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:43 am 
born to perform.

Actually shuffling the deck after peeking at the card above their selection is sometimes a poor way to prove that the deck is mixed. Yes most of the time they'll stay together, but there are times when they won't and you'll look like a fool. Best option there is to false shuffle or do a few false cuts to "prove" the deck is mixed. That way you're guaranteed to have them together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:32 am 
Penguin

Unusual_Rex wrote:
DaveV wrote:

I guess invented wouldn't be the best choice of words, I discovered it on my own, I'm probably not the first to discover this, but I didn't find it anywhere else.

The thing I like about this trick is that they don't even name their card (like what they have to do before you reveal it on some tricks), and they think of it all on their own, no force, no nothing.

I think it's an excellent trick, and thought you guys would enjoy hearing about it.

This happens a lot. I always create a completely new trick, and then about a week later, while I'm perfecting the idea, I see it online several times... Anyways, I highly doubt you were the first to come up with this, but good idea, and great job for thinking of it by yourself.