View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Something New From Luke.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:11 pm 
born to perform.

I was searching around for mentalism stuff and stuff by banachek etc. (i'm just really getting into mentalism) and I found this.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1638
It looks pretty cool. Anybody heard of it yet, or have any opinions?

Also I saw this http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1418 a while back and nothing has happened with it so I figured i'd ask if anybody knows anything about these (i.e. release dates and the like).

Especially Jay, alvo,acar,maxwell,or oz. Or anybody else who's in the loop about this sort of thing. (I don't know if Luke has an account but if he does, i'd love to hear from him as well.)

Thats about it, so let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:33 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Phycologial Forces - Stuff like this if your just starting don't get it. Alot of stuff somtimes is crap. I can't comment on the prodcut yet though.

Inductions - can't comment.

You said you were starting up on mentalism. Pick up a few classics, 13 steps, PRISM ect.

Once you have studies them, and have effect you like and can prefrom well on the technical side, but if you then want to get into suggestion, then I'd reccoment Sleight of Mind (I dont have it, I learn suggestions from Building blocks) but Sleight of Mind is meant to be better.

Also while ordering 13 steps id advise to get some stuff like boon wrighters, get some envolopes card boards ect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 pm 
born to perform.

Yea i already have thirteen steps. I've had it for a while but never got into it. I am reading through it cover to cover right now. I do need a good swami (probably a boon) and some other stuff though.

As far as the two products I mentioned, I was just curious. But I don't think i'll get anything else until i've finished 13 steps. Thanks for the advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:30 pm 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Oh right, sorry I don't know any detials. Maybe contact Luke at the cafe his username is Ramsay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

Yea, no problem. Thanks again.

It sucks that I don't have a swami because I'm reading the explainations for all of these great effects in 13 steps and I can't perform any of them yet. I am going to order one soon though.

Do you have any suggestions for which boon to get? I'm thinking just a vernet pencil writer.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:23 am 
born to perform.

A lot of psychological forces are just BS and no one really knows if they really work,

If you want to get in that type of thing I can't suggest enough Psychological Subleties by Banachek, I use his psychological forces on stage and they never failed me, what is even better is that all the routines has outs so if it fails you have an out.

You might also want to google the book '' Naked mentalism by John Tompson '', This guy studied what people usually respond when you ask certain questions and it is all neatly compiled in a book plus some extra's.

But yeah psychological subleties to get started on that type of work, Banachek is a good thinker.

Suggestion is good, maybe as a background rechearch, but other than that I never really used this on stage, unless there was a part of trickery involved and suggestion was only there to enchance the thing.

There is so much amazing stuff out there that doesn't use that kind of thing, look around!
Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm 
Penguin

As much as I like boons, I honestly never use them. It is just another extra thing to carry around and fumble with. They sounded amazing to me at first too, but eventually most mentalists tend to stray away from using them.

Though I suck and can't do it, I would prefer to use PW if I had to choose.

As far as boons go, the standard type boon that is very good is the Someredin. I don't own it, as I have a Lincoln best Boon and a Sam Dalal type Swami, but I have been to Ronjo's a few times and have played with it for a good hour or so.

http://www.ronjo.com/magic/jsboon.html

The Lincoln Boon is the most expensive one, but also the easiest to use in my opinion besides a Swami. Only problem with a swami is if you bite your nails once, your screwed for a few weeks.

http://www.lincolnworld.com/products/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:07 pm 
Penguin

Psychological forces are great when combined with a backup plan.

The backup plan can be either another method or some form of “out.”

You’ll have a best case “hands-off” scenario where the psychological force actually works.

Then you’ll have a second-best scenario where the psychological force fails. The trick is still brought to a successful conclusion; you just need to fall back on the "out" or your other method.

That said, I know at least one psychological force that, given the specified audience, cannot fail.

Elliott