View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Experiment...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:19 am 
Penguin

So, it's back to school already. This is one of the key steps in my "experiment". I was a freshman last year, so this is my second year. Here's what happened.

It all started at the end of the last school year when we were signing yearbooks. In my signature, I implanted a very subtle subliminal message containing the message "3 of DIAMONDS".

Over the previous summer, everyone who I signed this secret card to got their average Junk email, including mine, which were things like "3 Diamonds cleaning service" or something like that.

Now that the new school year has started, the suggestion will get even more intense, for example, I will probably hide "3 of Diamonds" somewhere in my dialogue throughout the day.

Then, at the end of the school year, I will ask everybody I did this to to name a card without thinking about it. If 75% or more tell me 3 of diamonds (75% is the average amount that suggestion works), then it will set the world record for the longest mentalism "trick" ever performed, over the course of 2 years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:07 pm 
Penguin

That is all fanta fabulous and whatnot, but you must realize, subliminal messages alone do not do anything. You must be able to reinstate that emotion during the process of revelation of the set card. The spectator does not know what to expect, you must set a context for which they should be involved in. If just by typing I ask you to think of a card, you are thrown off, unsure if you are able to do it, all these unnecessary thoughts which aren't needed. You have to center in on that topic so that subconciously they are only aware of that peremptory aspect. In conclusion, I hope you understand that by you flashing constant subliminal signals over and over, will only work on about 5% of the general population. To bring that 5% into 85% you must bring up the context. From reading what you wrote you do not have much or at all experience with this. There is much more to the subject than is shown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:49 pm 
Penguin

No, it's not all subliminal messaging. For example, I could say "3" at one part of the day, and then "diamond" later in the day, and then use the NLP Swish pattern to combine the subconsious thoughts of "3" and "diamond" in their head. Like Derren Brown's advertising demonstration, the subliminal messages are only the beginning.

Also, I have never mentioned to them that I am a magician/mentalist to the students I am doing this to, so that should help distract them from any suspicion.

The "plan" does get far more complicated, but I just tried to simplify it so our fellow Penguins could understand it. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:15 pm 
born to perform.

That sounds pretty interesting, i would like to know how that goes. Keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:49 am 
Penguin

directedby,

I am sorry but you have no idea what you are talking about. Do you even understand what the NLP Swish Pattern is? Because you saw a video explaining what it is, doesn't mean you understand. The Swish Pattern cannot be used to combine thought of words, it is used to change someones behavior internally and future pace. Watching a YouTube video doesn't make you the least bit knowledgable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:56 am 
born to perform.

also, it is pretty difficult to prove you've obtained the results you have if it works. For one, to set the world record, you'd probably have to have an official there for every part of the trick that you do, not just at the end and say "I've been doing this all along". Sounds to me like you just kinda jumped on this thing after learning a little bit of NLP. I'm sorry to say it, but I don't think this will work out for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 am 
born to perform.

Location: France - Chuckling at funny posts - In the CPC members base
Hehe, bucky I dont even think he's learn NLP or 'subliminal messaging', he's learnt what Derren told him what is it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:31 pm 
Penguin

I find it interesting how you guys talk about this like I won't be reading your posts. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:16 am 
born to perform.

I tried to treat this with the most respect I could. I never tried insulting you which I could have easily done. Are you thinking about contacting Guinness about this? If so, they need to be there from the start. It just sounds like from your post you're either a) leaving a LOT of details about this out, or b) you didn't plan it fully and are now on the defense because we caught it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:33 am 
born to perform.

I would just think about this for a second before you go to the extent of waiting for 2 years for it. You will be shattered if it fails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:13 am 
Emperor Penguin

As other people have said, there are a couple of flaws with your plans. What Derren does is much more than what it seems. Also, he has had proper training, as well as experience in the field to pull off the demonstrations that he does.

From what I've read so far, you don't have either. It's a very novel idea, but I don't think it was thought out completely. Doing a couple of subliminal messages won't go very far. It has to be connected with something else.

But if there are a lot more details that we don't know, please post them here. Maybe that will clear up a couple of things.

As for the World Record, it simply won't pass. To get a world record, you have to fill out the documents before time, send them to the central head quarters, and wait for their reply. All of this has to be done before hand. And on an experiment like this, the chances that they would approve of it are very unlikely, because it's too hard to prove.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:26 pm 
Penguin

To my research, it would set the world record IF an official were there to watch it. However, I purely don't care for the fame about it.

Not to be rude, but some of you are misunderstanding the point of it. I have successfully suggested a card many times to spectators, but I'm trying to see exactly how long this suggested card stays in their head.

And yes, I have done a plethora of reading on suggestion. I keep Building Blocks by Luke Jermay in my backpack for refrence :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:31 pm 
Emperor Penguin

It would not set a record if an official was there. Not unless they were there the whole time, or you somehow documented every aspect of it. Which from what you've said, you haven't; or at least not to the point you would need to. So it won't be a world record, or at least not an official one.

The way you explain it now really isn't what you said in the beginning. Suggesting a card isn't that difficult compared to a two year project in which you're trying to suggest a card subliminally. It's two very different demonstrations.

Post subject: Subliminally Speaking
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:26 am 
Penguin

To be effective, a subliminal message has to be repeated often. How often are people gong to see your yearbook message? Once a year, twice per quarter...three times in a lifetime? Also, just seeing, or just hearing, a sub. Mess. does little. It works best if it is seen and heard at the same time. Is someone going to stand behind all of these people and whisper "three of diamonds" into their ear, over, and over, as they look through the yeabook? Unlikely. Even if they did, it may not take, unless the people were receptive because they already had cards on the mind. IF they played poker for three hours, and THEN picked up the yearbook, AND looked through the part with your message, AS someone whispered in their ear repeatedly, AND you walked up WITHIN THE NEXT TEN MINUTES, and asked them to think of a number, THEN it MIGHT work. otherwise, don't expect much. Do keep us posted, though.