View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New Show Ideas
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:47 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys,
as you may or may not already know, I rarely start topics on my own. Usually I try to just give advice to others regarding mentalism. However, today I come for your guys' help. Recently I've been revamping ideas for a show, trying to come up with a full script and stuff. I have a few ideas of effects that I want to include but I'm not sure about how I want to flow the entire show (yeah it rhymes, big woop! wanna fight about it? [/family guy reference]). So far I've thought of the following:
1) Opening effect, I'm thinking a played up version of Thought Transmitter
2) Introduce a prediction
- select an audience member
- have them choose one of two envelopes on stage
- give them their envelope in a brief case and leave the other in plain view
- have them sit back down and call upon them at the end of the show
3) A chance game like Maven does in Nothing with the paper bags
4) I might do a lie detection routine here (yes I know, I'm being very Derren Brownish, but screw it! he's good)
5) Do a question and answer routine or a psychometry thing
6) Revisit my prediction and reveal
7) Finish the show

The things I'm not sure about are the paper bag game, the Q&A or the psychometry and whether or not I should finish the show on that prediction, I guess it depends on how impossible I make it.
Just looking for your guys' suggestions, should I add anything? Should I revamp anything with respect to the lineup? What do you think of the whole thing?
Let me know, any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:18 am 
born to perform.

I can see a unity in the show; psychology. and it is done without sacrifising variety, very good. (If that is your style? imagine Derren Brown bending a spoon... no, thats not unity.)

You can include the lie detector test, and then you can "influence the audience to choose the paperbags by suggestion" or something, (Im not familiar with the particular chance game you are talking about, but I'm guessing its something like that)

Q&A or psychometry, it would be hard to make a presentation around psychology, to keep unity if, again, thats your performance style, with a Q&A routine, but I think it could be done, same thing with a psychometry thing.

for the prediction, do you know what kind of prediction you would do? The classical thing to predict what will happen during the show, what the spectators names is, how old they are, what car they drive or whatever is a good ender IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:47 am 
born to perform.

Actually its a card prediction. They handle the deck, pick a few out, select a few to be eliminated, end up with one left over and it matches the jumbo card I place in the envelope they pick. The other envelope is empty.

Edit: that should say "it matches the jumbo card I placed in the envelope they pick" past tense, it has already been placed in one of the two envelopes before the show started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:44 am 
born to perform.

Lensman wrote:
I can see a unity in the show; psychology. and it is done without sacrifising variety, very good. (If that is your style? imagine Derren Brown bending a spoon... no, thats not unity.)

You can include the lie detector test, and then you can "influence the audience to choose the paperbags by suggestion" or something, (Im not familiar with the particular chance game you are talking about, but I'm guessing its something like that)

Q&A or psychometry, it would be hard to make a presentation around psychology, to keep unity if, again, thats your performance style, with a Q&A routine, but I think it could be done, same thing with a psychometry thing.

for the prediction, do you know what kind of prediction you would do? The classical thing to predict what will happen during the show, what the spectators names is, how old they are, what car they drive or whatever is a good ender IMO.

lol if Derren Bent a sppon he would imply that the spoon was always bent and that he just convinced you it was normal somehow. He'd probably wrangle up some video footage of him holding the bent spoon while talking to the spectator for them to watch as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:41 am 
born to perform.

That effect might be a little weak as an ender compared to the other effects you got... The ender should be the strongest effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm 
born to perform.

I know, that's why I'm thinking I might change it up. Maybe I could do the lie detecting thing at the end and have the card revealed just before. Put something like $5,000 on the lie detecting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 pm 
born to perform.

yes, I think thats better.