View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: recommendations
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:05 am 
born to perform.

Hey guys I'd like some recommendations for close up mentalism. I've got 13 steps, practical mental magic and prism. Loads of great affects there. I've got a tommy pad and have picked up several affects here and there as well. Basicly I'm after another book, something with lots of material. I want affects that can be presented as psychological illusions, things centered around either influencing or reading the specatotr. I'm also very into memory magic as well. Any suggestions please post here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:29 am 
born to perform.

You cannot go wrong with "Mind, Myth and Magick" (at least I believe that's how it was spelt). It is sold here. Something like 800 pages long and I'm so happy with it already. Another suggestion would be "theatre of the mind" which also has some great ideas in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:43 pm 
born to perform.

I second theater of the mind :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:07 am 
born to perform.

They both sound fantastic. Will get theatre of the mind first as it has 2 (in my opinion well respected) recommendations.

Is Paralies worth a look? My friends been after the secret of the esp affect on there for ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm 
born to perform.

It has its benefits, or so I've heard. If it sounds cool to you, get it. You are certainly at the point in mentalism where you can get what you think sounds good. We can easily recommend stuff ('we' being your fellow mentalists) but ultimately it is up to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:42 pm 
Team Penguin

I say get Jay Sankey's Hemispheres. Great effects in there, most of which lie around the basis of presentation that you previously stated you desired.

Really well done DVD and has killer magic on it. Pick it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:38 pm 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
It has its benefits, or so I've heard. If it sounds cool to you, get it. You are certainly at the point in mentalism where you can get what you think sounds good. We can easily recommend stuff ('we' being your fellow mentalists) but ultimately it is up to you.

Too true. More than anything i'm just hoping to avoid getting stung. Many books/dvds promise the earth but deliver very little. I just like to research something before diving in and I love a good book, it's nice to pick up something with 50 something affects in, all of which are killer.

Still once in a while I'll see a trick that's going for £20 on its own and something will say it's what I want. Trrilogy for instance is easilly worth twice what I paid for it. My magician friend saw the demo vid and said he thought it would be too impractical but when I performed it for him face to face I've never seen him freak out so much. When I showed him the deck he loved it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:52 am 
Penguin

I will whole-heartedly back ParaLies. It is by far the most interesting book I have read on mentalism and is filled with tons of modern-day jems. Lots of close-up and a little stage/parlor thrown in. I really want to write a review on it but haven't seemed to have the time yet.

Just for an idea of whats in it, Lots of psychological principles and "pseudo-psychology." I'm sure you've heard about Thought Chunnel where a word is thought of and you tell them it without anyone writing or saying anything. There's some color changes that I greatly enjoyed. Also he opens with a coinbend that was so different than todays bends that I had to try it. He teaches some new takes on book tests, DIY gimmicked or Impromptu. He also includes a new equivoque plot which was one of my favorites called Deckquivoque. He adds an entirely new principle to mentalism utilizing a technique seeming so "elementary" yet brilliant. It adds thousands upon billions of millions of new tricks and routines to this field.

Lastly, this book is crammed full of advice, theory and some cool presentation ideas.

I think I really need to write a reveiw for the public! (runs into a phonebooth and becomes... Dun Dun Dun MAGICMAN!!!)

All the best,
-Chase

Feel free to ask me any questions on the book!

Last edited by ehdeets on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:29 pm 
born to perform.

Lol I have prism and I agree with everything you say about it. I did say so in my first post but hey, I'm always up for bigging up max (omg I'm so frikken amazing at mentalism) Maven's work. (apart from Nothing, I found to be a little lacking somehow. Maybe I just need to watch again with my creative cap on.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:29 pm 
Penguin

Wow, please smack me in the face. I meant ParaLies, not prism :lol:
I changed that in my post, and yet everything I said for paralies can be said about prism. Both great.

Sorry for the confusion
-Chase

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:26 pm 
born to perform.

After some deliberation on the subject I decided to purchase paralies. I must admit Mind Myth and Magick is really appealing with around 800 pages of material and it was cheaper. But there are several affects in Paralies that I can immediately see fitting into some of my presentations. I'll phone in the verdict upon the books arrival.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:56 am 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
After some deliberation on the subject I decided to purchase paralies. I must admit Mind Myth and Magick is really appealing with around 800 pages of material and it was cheaper. But there are several affects in Paralies that I can immediately see fitting into some of my presentations. I'll phone in the verdict upon the books arrival.
Lookin' forward to it :wink: