View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 13 Steps...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:01 am 
Penguin

I've been wanting to get into Mentalism for a LONG time...I've looked around this forum alot and, even though I don't understand alot of what you guys are talking about, I find alot of stuff very interesting. I've realized from the gazillion and one topics of "Hey ... I'm new ... what should I read" posts that I should start with 13 Steps, the apparent "bible" of mentalism. I have two problems and two questions.

First, my local magic shop is either closed down or the guy has been on vacation for quite some time...(I'm assuming the former)

Second, 13 Steps has been OOS forever @ Penguin.

My two questions are...

1. How long does it usually take Penguin to restock this book? I know everyone's after it and it's in high demand, so I'm just wondering how long I'll be waiting for it. I really don't want to buy it off a site like eBay or Amazon b/c I don't really trust either, whereas I've never gone wrong with Penguin.

2. Are there other "bibles" of mentalism besides 13 steps? I've seen Building Blocks by Luke Geramy thrown around along with some Max Maven stuff, my inquiry is are there any other "definitive" works that are recognized such as 13 Steps is..

My apologies for how long this post is. If you're still reading, well, 10 points for you :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:40 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the 10 points and here's some answers:
1. Yes, as you pointed out, 13 Steps has be out of stock for a LONG time. I honestly doubt that it will come back in stock any time soon if at all. I understand that you don't want to order from eBay or Amazon so the best place for you to go is the MJM Magic online store. http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/13-steps- ... -1812.html
Its a trusty store and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable buying from there.

2. I'd stay away from 'Building Blocks' (at least for a little while) and I can fully recommend 'Practical Mental Magic' by Annemann. It'll get you going with billet work and predictions and give you some understanding to the foundations of mentalism. In terms of DVDs - Richard Osterlind. He has two sets of DVDs that are absolutely fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:08 am 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
Thanks for the 10 points and here's some answers:
1. Yes, as you pointed out, 13 Steps has be out of stock for a LONG time. I honestly doubt that it will come back in stock any time soon if at all. I understand that you don't want to order from eBay or Amazon so the best place for you to go is the MJM Magic online store. http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/13-steps- ... -1812.html
Its a trusty store and you shouldn't feel uncomfortable buying from there.

2. I'd stay away from 'Building Blocks' (at least for a little while) and I can fully recommend 'Practical Mental Magic' by Annemann. It'll get you going with billet work and predictions and give you some understanding to the foundations of mentalism. In terms of DVDs - Richard Osterlind. He has two sets of DVDs that are absolutely fantastic.

Thanks so much for the alternative magic site! After poking around a bit I decided to order it immediately and cannot wait for it to get here. When I get some more money (I probably can't afford 13 steps - oh well!) I'll definately check out the Annemann book you suggested. Thanks very much again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:08 am 
born to perform.

If you have any questions or problems when you get the book, you can shoot me a PM.

Peace,
Rev.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 am 
born to perform.

sweet, rev finally got to a topic before me or max, good job rev!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 am 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
sweet, rev finally got to a topic before me or max, good job rev!!
haha I do what I can :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:05 pm 
born to perform.

Too late :(

Welcome to this wonderful world! Enjoy your stay, shine bright, mysteries awaits, it's not everyday that someone promptly says he's going to read some minds...

Sorry I just had to play with the plume, back to work now :P

Max.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:34 pm 
Penguin

Bliztmagic wrote:
Too late :(

Welcome to this wonderful world! Enjoy your stay, shine bright, mysteries awaits, it's not everyday that someone promptly says he's going to read some minds...

Sorry I just had to play with the plume, back to work now :P

Max.

Haha thanks :) The site said it should be here Monday afternoon (and that's with FREE shipping!) ...I cannot wait. Thanks for everyones' support again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:40 pm 
born to perform.

Woah, that is fast shipping. Hope you enjoy it. My only tip: read it at LEAST twice. There is so much valuable information in that book, that there is no way you can get it all down in one shot. After rev's recommendations, read PRISM by Max Maven, another book chalked full of amazing effects that fool everyone (even though they were written in like the 60s or something). Then after prism you can get into things like building blocks; theatre of the mind; mind, myth and magick; and loads of others. By that point it is mainly up to you to get what you like. But of course we can offer suggestions of what we enjoyed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:31 pm 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
Woah, that is fast shipping. Hope you enjoy it. My only tip: read it at LEAST twice. There is so much valuable information in that book, that there is no way you can get it all down in one shot. After rev's recommendations, read PRISM by Max Maven, another book chalked full of amazing effects that fool everyone (even though they were written in like the 60s or something). Then after prism you can get into things like building blocks; theatre of the mind; mind, myth and magick; and loads of others. By that point it is mainly up to you to get what you like. But of course we can offer suggestions of what we enjoyed.

RAWR! It still hasn't shipped. I hate waiting for stuff in the mail, it's maddening :P I really don't know much about mentalism, but yesterday I forced a card for my boyfriend and "read his mind" ... he freaked :D so funny haha