View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Stage Mentalism Peek
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:43 pm 
Penguin

Lawboy wrote:
If you're talking about Derren Brown, I have a very good idea about what technique he uses. Unless you're a well-established professional, like he is, what he uses won't be appropriate for you.

The next best thing, in my opinion, are the pads and clipboards you can get from John Riggs. These actually fulfill most of your requirements (the only one it doesn't is half of #1), and in terms of performance, it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

What technique does he use, and why wouldn't it be fit for me? I have quite a lot of money behind me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 pm 
born to perform.

Do not assume money is the issue here. It could be a lot to do with technique, which would warrant a seasoned professional. And Lawboy said he only has an idea about what he uses, he did not say he knew what Derren used. If you're talking about the cat drawing thing during one of his shows, it's very easy to do. If you're talking about the names during the lie detection thing, a bit harder. Even harder still was the 20 questions effect he did in his last show (at least if he used the method I know about).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:57 pm 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
Do not assume money is the issue here. It could be a lot to do with technique, which would warrant a seasoned professional.

this

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:30 am 
Penguin

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
Thank you PG, but those are all (to my knowledge) types of center-tear.

Thats the problem; I have seen only three Mentalism stage shows in my life, and all used some form of "peek" or such, but at no point used a center-tear. They obtained the information without ever touching the paper - this makes me think of an impression device, but I am wondering if that's the only option.

Acidus Novus has nothing to do with the Center Tear. Maybe you should have researched what I said before you knocked it down.

Peek Performances has one Center Tear in it - the rest of the material in it is related to Peeks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:37 am 

Acidus Novus is brilliant when done correctly. Wayne Houchin taught it on Stigmata with no motivation, but Richard Osterlind has a lot of motivation for using it. It works so much better with an actual reason to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:52 am 
Penguin

Yeah - in my opinion with the right motivation and set-up and reasoning - it's as close to as real as we can get. And you don't need an overly priced impression pad or anything.

Osterlind's watch routine is a perfect example of how to use it right.

I didn't mention Wayne Houchin's because I thought the way he used it was pointless. So I guess I agree with you there. ;)

Anybody interested in effects using this peek and some Center Tear work really should check out Mind Index by Bill Cushman. Every time somebody has to write something down - he has really good reasons for it. And he doesn't draw a stupid circle on the paper for a center tear. He has a lot of really good ideas. He is highly influenced by Peek Performances - which also teaches how to have a reason for those things.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:05 am 
born to perform.

Thomaswadefraser wrote:
What technique does he use, and why wouldn't it be fit for me? I have quite a lot of money behind me.

The best way to think of it is like this:

The only differences between what Derren does and what the alternative(s) I suggested allow you to do, is being able to read multiple people's minds at once, and needing to take a pad or clipboard from the spectator once they've finished drawing/writing. Also he can do it with slightly greater reliability. Apart from that, they're exactly the same and have the same sorts of restrictions.

The amount of difference as perceived by the audience is close to none.

The difference in price/time/skill/whatever between the two options is absolutely massive.

So the additional amount you invest is probably not worth the additional abilities you get. So it's only appropriate if it's imperative that you require them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:57 pm 
born to perform.

Derren Brown uses an impression device. A VERY expensive one :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:23 pm 
Penguin

It did occure to me that the entire table might be one big impression device x)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

It isn't.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:40 pm 
Penguin

Lawboy wrote:
It isn't.

What is then?

(note to self: patent giant impression device table)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:08 pm 
born to perform.

Stop asking us for exactly what something is. Start asking us for resources, if any. Saying "what is it then?" isn't asking for a resource. It is asking for how it is done. You want to be like Derren? Start reading every mentalism book you can get your hands on. Then read up on all the hypnosis books you can get your hands on. Start performing both when you're ready (right now, you're not). And eventually you MIGHT get good enough to become like Derren. However, given that you both live in the same area (geographically, somewhat), chances are your success rate is far lower. If you lived somewhere in North America, for example, your chances would be much higher of landing a similar tv show or set of shows. NO MORE DERREN CLONES PLEASE!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 pm 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
Stop asking us for exactly what something is. Start asking us for resources, if any. Saying "what is it then?" isn't asking for a resource. It is asking for how it is done. You want to be like Derren? Start reading every mentalism book you can get your hands on. Then read up on all the hypnosis books you can get your hands on. Start performing both when you're ready (right now, you're not). And eventually you MIGHT get good enough to become like Derren.

yes.
that's basically what i've been trying to say.