View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting into mentalism
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:16 am 
Penguin

I do card tricks and i am getting into mentalism. I seldom do mentalism trick, what is a good start off with. Please don't recommend books, i hate books. Is modern mentalism good?

Post subject: Re: Getting into mentalism
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 am 
born to perform.

ThatsMagical wrote:
I do card tricks and i am getting into mentalism. I seldom do mentalism trick, what is a good start off with. Please don't recommend books, i hate books. Is modern mentalism good?

Although there are a few dvds for mentalism beginners, you're going to have to get into books. If you hate reading books for your effects, you're not going to be a good mentalist. That's just the truth.

In order to get a good first book (yeah that's right, I'm going to recommend a book) I'd try 13 steps to mentalism by corinda. Either that or (what? another book recommendation? this guy's crazy) practical mental magic will do the trick too.

I'm a little confused about your last question. If you are wondering whether modern mentalists are good, then yes, we are good. There are many ways to adapt old techniques to modern times. Not to mention the fact that many of the old techniques still amaze as well as they did when they were first used, with the right presentaton of course.

Finally, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're not ready for mentalism yet. Mental magic, maybe. But you're not going to be a good mentalist with the attitude you have right now. Think about it this way. If I were to start a new hobby today (say boxing) and I wanted to only use a speed bag for my punching training. I'd be limiting myself to one aspect of the sport. Sure, I may have fast hands, but I won't know how to properly punch someone unless I also have a heavy bag.

The idea of using only dvds to teach you mentalism is the same. Sure, you'll get some good effects in your repertoire. But if you don't already know what a boon writer is, and the author of the dvd doesn't address this, you might get confused and frustrated with the effect and just skip it all together. Furthermore, once you start skipping over things, you'll eventually quit just because everything above the foundation effects is much more difficult to pull off if you do not have a good understanding of the foundation.

So my recommendation remains, get into books if you want to get into mentalism. Otherwise, just give up now because you won't get far with just mentalism dvds. Plus you type like you're an early teenager so people probably won't take your mentalism seriously anyways. A good age to start practicing though. So if you do decide to get into books, keep it up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 am 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
ThatsMagical wrote:

Although there are a few dvds for mentalism beginners, you're going to have to get into books. If you hate reading books for your effects, you're not going to be a good mentalist. That's just the truth.

In order to get a good first book (yeah that's right, I'm going to recommend a book) I'd try 13 steps to mentalism by corinda. Either that or (what? another book recommendation? this guy's crazy) practical mental magic will do the trick too.

I'm a little confused about your last question. If you are wondering whether modern mentalists are good, then yes, we are good. There are many ways to adapt old techniques to modern times. Not to mention the fact that many of the old techniques still amaze as well as they did when they were first used, with the right presentaton of course.

Finally, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you're not ready for mentalism yet. Mental magic, maybe. But you're not going to be a good mentalist with the attitude you have right now. Think about it this way. If I were to start a new hobby today (say boxing) and I wanted to only use a speed bag for my punching training. I'd be limiting myself to one aspect of the sport. Sure, I may have fast hands, but I won't know how to properly punch someone unless I also have a heavy bag.

The idea of using only dvds to teach you mentalism is the same. Sure, you'll get some good effects in your repertoire. But if you don't already know what a boon writer is, and the author of the dvd doesn't address this, you might get confused and frustrated with the effect and just skip it all together. Furthermore, once you start skipping over things, you'll eventually quit just because everything above the foundation effects is much more difficult to pull off if you do not have a good understanding of the foundation.

So my recommendation remains, get into books if you want to get into mentalism. Otherwise, just give up now because you won't get far with just mentalism dvds. Plus you type like you're an early teenager so people probably won't take your mentalism seriously anyways. A good age to start practicing though. So if you do decide to get into books, keep it up.

Hmm. To start off with, i am not going to be a hardcore mentalist, just doing some mentalism tricks. I hate books because i use to have sleight of hand books and they are difficult to be learnt from. I am also afraid i won't kept reading on if i cannot understand the content, but mentalism book seems ok to me. I am getting 13steps to mentalism then, quite a famous book, and yes i am a teenager

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:

I believe he's referring to Matt Mello's latest DVD set entitled 'Modern Mentalism Vol. 1 & 2'

@ThatsMagical Great that you bought 13 Steps, its a great go to point and sets up a good foundation for pursuing mentalism as an art. It does sound, however, that you aren't really interested in studying mentalism but learning some mind-themed tricks. Would that be correct? If so, 13 steps might not be the best choice for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:39 am 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
@ThatsMagical Great that you bought 13 Steps, its a great go to point and sets up a good foundation for pursuing mentalism as an art. It does sound, however, that you aren't really interested in studying mentalism but learning some mind-themed tricks. Would that be correct? If so, 13 steps might not be the best choice for you.

Yeah, forgot to add on that im rerfering to the dvd " modern mentalism". Yup, im not really interested in being a harcore mentalist, just getting into some mentalism tricks. What would be better then? :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:46 am 
born to perform.

Win!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:26 am 
Penguin

akirafist wrote:

Win!

... liquid metal agn LOL.
I have that already, and not really the kind of mentalism i looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:48 am 
born to perform.

ThatsMagical wrote:
akirafist wrote:

Win!

It might help if you tell us the kind of thing youre looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:06 am 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
ThatsMagical wrote:
akirafist wrote:

Win!

It might help if you tell us the kind of thing youre looking for.

Hmm some mind reading routines? Something close to the routines in Matt mello modern mentalism but i don't like the acaan.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:17 am 
born to perform.

Here you go:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:16 am 
Penguin

akirafist wrote:
Here you go:

Thanks, quite a good set. Suitable for beginner? Pretty expensive for me though, because i am looking for something slightly more then half the price of the dvd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 am 
Penguin

double post