View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mentalism DVD's?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:12 pm 
Penguin

Any recommended DVD's for a novice mentalist?

Post subject: Re: Mentalism DVD's?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:17 am 
born to perform.

Luke Jermay's "Emotional Intellegence" was my first true mentalism effect. I personally thought it was a good start. If nothing else because it uses a structure that should be familiar to most magicians but the patter and presentation is all mentalism.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:07 am 
born to perform.

Richard Osterlind's 'Mind Mysteries' DVDs are solid gold once you've made your way through the 13 steps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 am 
born to perform.

Max Maven's Nothing is pretty good once you've finished 13 Steps as well. Now I'm going to go out and say something here, but if I'm wrong then don't peg me as a jerk... I'm just trying to help. There will be ZERO shortcuts in mentalism that you can take. I say this because most people go for dvds instead of books because they don't want to read them. The books in the end will give you a large advantage over those who stick with dvds. Mainly because you won't be copying someone else's performances, but will be creating your own character. Sure some patter may have to be repeated, but that's okay if you have your own character and style of presentation.

The reason I think that you might peg me as a jerk is right here. I think that you're looking for dvds too quickly. From what I understand, you've only been interested in mentalism for a very short period of time. Certainly not enough to absorb all of the material in 13 steps. It is absolutely essential that you understand the fundamentals of mentalism before you move on to more complex routines. Plus, 13 steps has so many effects in it that can dazzle people to this day.

I've routinely given the following advice about beginning in mentalism, and I'm not sure if I offered it to you yet so here it is: Read 13 steps, then read it again. Then read Max Maven's PRISM book. Then read up on the theory of presentation (either through Darwin Ortiz's Strong Magic or through Derren Brown's Pure Effect... if you can buy/find it). Then move on to whatever books or dvds you think would be cool. There are going to be some bad purchases thereafter. It's part of being a mentalist. Some effects that people sell just aren't too great and they are boasted about in their description and reviews. It's all a matter of opinion from then on out.

Of course, we here in the mentalism section are always here to help you out if you're undecided about an effect, book or dvd. Lots of us have gone through the most tried and true books and dvds and can really point you in the right direction. So that'd be all I can offer to you as advice. Take it or leave it, it's your choice. But please don't think I'm a jerk for discouraging you from watching dvds at this stage in your mentalism education.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:39 am 
born to perform.

Anything from Banachek, Richard Osterlind or Max Maven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:09 pm 
Penguin

I've actually read most of 13 steps more than once and have read all of Derren Browns books. I just need to stick with it, I skip around chapters. I've just never actually tried anything. I've done E.I. by Jermay a few times. I like that one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 pm 
born to perform.

thiswinter wrote:
I've actually read most of 13 steps more than once and have read all of Derren Browns books. I just need to stick with it, I skip around chapters. I've just never actually tried anything. I've done E.I. by Jermay a few times. I like that one.

Okay fine. That's a good start. But to me it still sounds like you're trying to find excuses for taking shortcuts. However, you know my advice now, and like I said, take it or leave it, it's up to you.