View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Book Recommendation for Mentalism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:55 pm 
born to perform.

Ok, I know everyone is going to recommend Anneman and Corinda's books but I'm looking for something a little more broad and modern - something that explains the psychology of mentalism and why it works or doesn't work. Something that explains how to construct a mentalism show or set. What makes a good opener and what makes a good closer. I've read most of the Practical Mental Magic and I've learned a lot but it was not what I expected. I'm NOT looking for tricks or routines - although a book that contains both theory and routines would be great.

I guess I'm looking for something like Strong Magic or Maximum Entertainment for mentalists. Would Max Maven's Prism be a good book? How about something from Knepper, Banachek or Jermay?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Book Recommendation for Mentalism
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:33 pm 
born to perform.

Pure Effect and Absolute Magic by Derren Brown are books you should get. And almost anything by Luke Jermay is good. In 3510, Luke discusses what he believes makes a strong mentalism routine so I recommend that book.

Your opener is not really the first demonstration you perform, it is the first few seconds when you get on stage. I always walk on stage and immediately tell people to keep an eye on a certain box off. Then I tell them that one person in this room will determine the success or failure of the entire show. And I leave them hanging. I don't mention it again until a little later in the show.

I close my show by combining spoken word with the magic square. It has A LOT of energy and gets a standing O 9/10 because of the poem. I'm a huge believer that your show should end on a high note. All the energy which has been built up in your show should be captured in your closer and let out like a beast.

The reason you want TONS of energy is because it hits the emotions hard. And when you do that, people remember you for a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:10 pm 
born to perform.

Theatre of the Mind was a good book, for me at least, to see how the author came up with ideas for his effects. PRISM is a good book for learning effects, but not necessarily for theory in my opinion. And I'm going to have to second benji's advice. Solid stuff there... then again, his advice always is.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:41 pm 
Penguin

I agree with Bucky: Theater of the Mind is a great book. Here's a link to a review I filmed for it. http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=605
PRISM is also great but, like he said, is more about tricks than theory.

I've just started reading Maximum Entertainment myself. So far, it has been great.

Caleb
http://www.CalebWilesMagic.com