View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Derren Brown interviewed by Richard Dawkins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:19 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
Interesting interview...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xswt8B8- ... E56B106611


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Derren Brown interviewed by Richard Dawkins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 1394
Location: Newmarket, ON, Canada
might be better suited towards the off topic section. If I remember correctly they talk about things like evolution and not so much mentalism techniques.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Derren Brown interviewed by Richard Dawkins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:54 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 2081
Location: Melbourne, Australia
bucky310 wrote:
might be better suited towards the off topic section. If I remember correctly they talk about things like evolution and not so much mentalism techniques.

No, it is a discussion on cold reading and various techniques. Very suited to mentalism. Interesting video as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Derren Brown interviewed by Richard Dawkins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
revelation77 wrote:
bucky310 wrote:
might be better suited towards the off topic section. If I remember correctly they talk about things like evolution and not so much mentalism techniques.

No, it is a discussion on cold reading and various techniques. Very suited to mentalism. Interesting video as well.

I hemmed and hawed on where but decided this was the place for the reasons rev mentioned. Certainly evolution and debunking creationism is Dawkins's focus but you don't really need to get into that debate to get a better idea of what cold reading is all about. Understanding more about the philosophy and strategies as to why cold reading works can certainly help the budding mentalist.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Derren Brown interviewed by Richard Dawkins
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 pm 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 10 Dec 2005
Posts: 1394
Location: Newmarket, ON, Canada
eostresh wrote:
revelation77 wrote:
bucky310 wrote:
might be better suited towards the off topic section. If I remember correctly they talk about things like evolution and not so much mentalism techniques.

No, it is a discussion on cold reading and various techniques. Very suited to mentalism. Interesting video as well.

I hemmed and hawed on where but decided this was the place for the reasons rev mentioned. Certainly evolution and debunking creationism is Dawkins's focus but you don't really need to get into that debate to get a better idea of what cold reading is all about. Understanding more about the philosophy and strategies as to why cold reading works can certainly help the budding mentalist.


fair enough... it had been a while since I had seen that video (didn't watch it again before commenting) and all I remembered from it was the evolution stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.