View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Andy Nyman effects?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:41 pm 
born to perform.

So been browsing for mentalism and some of his products caught my eye...anyone have much experience with his stuff? Worker material? any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Andy Nyman effects?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S4637

http://www.magicweek.co.uk/magic_review ... _nyman.htm

im sure u can find more reviews if u look

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks...I already checked that out. I think I wasn't clear. I am interested in impressions of Andy Nyman effects in general. Not looking for specific reviews or specific products.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:19 pm 
born to perform.

I've seen get Nyman and it's good. BUT!

Lol ok so in truth the effects probably fall closer to the catagory of mental magic than actual mentalism but Andy is very big on presentation and performance. He also uses a lot of subtlties which he talks about in his explanations, many of these I found very helpful.

Of the effects on the DVD (it was over a year ago since I last watched it and really aught to again.) I've probably only used 2 or 3 but his presentations are all great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:39 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for the thoughts. I think mental magic might be more my shtick any way...Still working on character developement though. I also noticed he has a SUPER expensive electronic system. Does anyone around here actually use one of those? Like the UFO or anything like that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm 
born to perform.

Not sure what that is but it might be the gimmickhe uses for the sophie trick. never used one but it seems interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:38 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S9269 That is the Nyman effect and these guys sell the UFO which is another similar product. http://www.labcomagic.com/index.php?id=28

And I always thought mentalism had cheap props...HA!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:59 am 
born to perform.

I'd like to withdraw my earlier comment about Nyman's material being more mental magic. It's been over a year since I watched that dvd and my tastes in mentalism seem to have changed overall. I recently rewatched both Get Nyman and Max Maven's Nothing and I must say there's lots of killer material on both. Just work with it and make it fit your style.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:56 am 
born to perform.

Cool...Thanks for the tip. It's still on my wish list but I'll probably get it sooner or later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:58 pm 
Penguin

I watched the 'get nyman' dvd and was highly dissapointed in the material, he has been lecturing the same material for yonks! He is a fantastic performer and his use of subtle moves and patter are the Bomb.

I couldnt see how you could call his chair test a chair test, it at best (even without an out) was a 50/50 chance...

I completely agree with arkham that the material is mostly mental magic!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:56 pm 
Penguin

mentalJohn wrote:
I watched the 'get nyman' dvd and was highly dissapointed in the material, he has been lecturing the same material for yonks! He is a fantastic performer and his use of subtle moves and patter are the Bomb.

I couldnt see how you could call his chair test a chair test, it at best (even without an out) was a 50/50 chance...

I completely agree with arkham that the material is mostly mental magic!

Although I Agree the material was a little weak, it is meant to be based on the psychology offered by of one of the Greatest minds in the industry.

The material is what you make it, the routines offered are routines that are sure fire and perfect for most levels of performer, I personally believe the dvd is a good price as you get your own private lecture.

Some dvds retail at 3 times the price the material is not sure fire and the performer just drabs on about the method rather than the performance (which is for the most part the importanty).

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:54 pm 
Penguin

dont even think just buy!
he is derren browns head guy!
if you have the money just buy what ever has his name on it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:45 pm 
born to perform.

I did wind up getting this and I have to say, those looking for method may be a bit disappointed but those looking for clever thinking in a more holistic way will love "Get Nyman." While I don't perform many of the effects from this I have stolen ideas from many of the effects and added it to my own material. As for the performance end of things....well let me just say that it is one of the most rewatched DVDs in my inventory.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:57 pm 
Penguin

I have been browsing too, mostly on Ebay, and I found a complete set of mentalism books by Max Maven (Phil Goldstein). It includes Thunday, Thequel, Doth, Amperthand, Fifth, Notions, Thavant, and Thabbatical. Does anyone own any of this, and if so, is it worth the price? I am thinking that with how rare this stuff is now, it may be a good deal. It appears to be all his mentalism work that was not published in the color series.

Any feedback?