View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Barrie Richardson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:09 pm 
born to perform.

So I've just finished Theater of The Mind and would like to take a moment to dclair that it's officially the best book on magic (any kind) that I've ever read.

Secondly I'm interested in anything Barrie has produced. Now I've seen act 2 up for sale as well as some DVDs, though looking at the DVDs it seems like most of the material is the same as what's in his books. I suppose the only real bonus would be seeing Barrie perform (a selling point in itself)

Anyway how does act 2 measure up to Theater of the mind and what's on the dvds that's not in the books?

Post subject: Re: Barrie Richardson
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:08 pm 
born to perform.

I have Theatre of the Mind and Act Two, but I do not have the dvds (I don't see any need, since the material is pretty much EXACTLY the same). I agree that Theatre of the Mind is an EXCELLENT book. There are so many wonderful routines. Act Two is, in my opinion, not quite as good as Theatre of the Mind, but it still is a great book. It seems as though more of the routines in Act Two are closely connected to Barrie's performing style (Soft, calm, nice-grandpa, motivational, etc.) than Theatre of the Mind. For example, Chapter 6: Magic and Metaphor, is an entire chapter devoted to explaining Barrie's motivational presentations for (mostly) classic tricks (some are of his own invention, though). This may make it a bit harder for you to adapt a few of the pieces to your style. Still most of the effects are very adaptable.

Surprisingly, Barrie has pretty many "magic-y" effects in this book. There are about three versions of card to pocket/wallet and even a version of OOTW. Still the majority of the book is devoted to mentalism. The chapter on billet work really stood out to me (Chapter 8: Paper Chase), as well as the chapter on casual mentalism (Chapter 3: After Dessert).

There are some great routines in here, but don't expect it to be as good or better than Theatre of the Mind. If you're interested in Barrie's material you should definitely check this out. If you have any questions about the material just let me know and I can give you some clarifications.

Btw, here's a table of contents.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm 
born to perform.

Well not being AS good could still put it streets ahead of the so called magic and mentalism I see being sold on the front page of the penguin store. (no offense to penguin as I bought theater of mind from here)
From what I saw of the DVDs the material is the same yeah so I may just steer clear until I;m super rich lol. In act 2 does he go any further with the card at any number?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:48 pm 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
Well not being AS good could still put it streets ahead of the so called magic and mentalism I see being sold on the front page of the penguin store. (no offense to penguin as I bought theater of mind from here)
From what I saw of the DVDs the material is the same yeah so I may just steer clear until I;m super rich lol. In act 2 does he go any further with the card at any number?

Haha you're right about most of the material being "streets ahead" of some of the new stuff being marketed today. :wink:

As far as Barrie delving any deeper into ACAAN, he does provide a version called Untouched. This is an interesting version (and one of my favorites) of the ACAAN where the magician really never touches the deck. It's pretty cool, but honestly I think I would use the first method of ACAAN (cased deck on table) from Theatre of the Mind more for close-up situations. Untouched seems best for stage or a small platform setting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:07 pm 
born to perform.

Theater of the Mind is now my next order because of how much I respect the two of you and your recommendation. Thank you!

-JT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:14 am 
born to perform.

miniserb725 wrote:
Theater of the Mind is now my next order because of how much I respect the two of you and your recommendation. Thank you!

-JT

Well you won't regret it.

evanbishop I think I'll be getting act 2 anyway, I'm intrigued by untouched but I do love the first method taught in TOTM and the "would you like to continue" trick which uses the same principle. I intend on frying my card magician friend with both of these next week when I see him.

Although I'd love to know the Burglass method for ACAAN.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:30 pm 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
miniserb725 wrote:

-JT

Well you won't regret it.

evanbishop I think I'll be getting act 2 anyway, I'm intrigued by untouched but I do love the first method taught in TOTM and the "would you like to continue" trick which uses the same principle. I intend on frying my card magician friend with both of these next week when I see him.

Although I'd love to know the Burglass method for ACAAN.

Nice decision on both your purchases! Miniserb, you are in for a treat! :D

Arkham, you'll definitely enjoy Act Two! Lots of good, solid mentalism and magic fill those pages.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:44 pm 
born to perform.

Cool btw since we're here I've been working on a presentation for "A truth to tell" this is an absolutely killer piece of impromptu mentalism and I'm gonna have so much fun with it. Ok so I'm creating a three phase routine, I haven't scripted it yet but here are the bare bones....
After a brief discussion about communication, body language and lying I'll begin the procedure with my participant having them nominate their hands. And pick up the coin while my back is turned. I'll be asking 3 questions rather than one.
In phase one I guess the hand the coin is in
In phase 2 I not only guess the hand but also tell them if they're lying or telling the truth.
For phase 3 I'm going to have them only imagine picking up the coin, then I'll ask them three questions which they only answer in their mind. I write down which I hand I think the coin is in on a billet and wallah a big climax which won't need any handling %50 of the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:28 pm 
born to perform.

arkham666 wrote:
Cool btw since we're here I've been working on a presentation for "A truth to tell" this is an absolutely killer piece of impromptu mentalism and I'm gonna have so much fun with it. Ok so I'm creating a three phase routine, I haven't scripted it yet but here are the bare bones....
After a brief discussion about communication, body language and lying I'll begin the procedure with my participant having them nominate their hands. And pick up the coin while my back is turned. I'll be asking 3 questions rather than one.
In phase one I guess the hand the coin is in
In phase 2 I not only guess the hand but also tell them if they're lying or telling the truth.
For phase 3 I'm going to have them only imagine picking up the coin, then I'll ask them three questions which they only answer in their mind. I write down which I hand I think the coin is in on a billet and wallah a big climax which won't need any handling %50 of the time.

That sounds like an awesome impromptu routine. Do you mind if I use that idea?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 pm 
born to perform.

Go nuts man have fun with it.

Alternate endings could use double writing, left on the top of the page right on the bottom, then just just cover the incorrect one with your hand when turning the pad. And...(and this does need testing) but I had an epiphany last night....

This is very bold and you may get called on it but for the third phase have the spec pick up the coin (if for no other reason than the possibility of a peek. Now place a second coin on the table. Proceed with your patter (answering questions in their mind). Now pick up the coin and place it below the table/behind your back (out of sight basically) and say you'll try and get a match. (this vagueness is important)

So put the coin in either hand (lets just say right for now) and bring out your hands. Now tell them to open their hands. If the coin is in the right hand then bam you have succeeded but what if it's in the left. Well that's why you said you'd get a match not the same hand. If you're opposite them then your right hand will be opposite their left so from a visual pov its technically a hit. Ok this isn't tested I'm thinking of throwing it in as a premiliminary phase just to see if done with confidence it can succeed. I imagine it's gonna be ballsy either way it only takes one person to call you on it and it fails.

ps: couple of links that might help with patter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinesics

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:03 am 
born to perform.

Just came across this thread...

First, is anyone using the "A Truth To Tell" routine from TOTM? I am wondering if a spectator ever messes up (either on purpose or by accident). Or does anyone ever guess the method?

I'm just fascinated by the HUGE potential of this routine and have been working on my scripting and routine. I've been occasionally using Truth by Paul Richards as a demonstration of human lie detection. Paul's Truth is really clever and fun to perform but Barrie's routine is SO frickin organic. And why would anyone buy one of those Minimax gizmos when you can do real, impromptu lie detection. But I digress...

Here is my untested routine. It is pretty much Barrie's routine with my touches and a different reveal method that I think might have a better impact. I'm thinking this would be good for walk around at a restaurant or weddings...at a table of at least 3 people...with napkins available.

The inspiration for this routine comes from my mother. My mom was a human lie detector. Anytime something mischievious happened she would line my brother and I up and say "Look me in the eye....did you spray paint the cat?" Moms are able to tell when their kids lie from the their eye movements and facial expressions. I need the help of 3 people from this table. I'm not going to ask you to lie, that would be unethical. Someone is going to do the lying for you. I want you to imagine a little person in this hand. This person is a liar. He can only lie. If I give him a piece of candy and ask "Do you have a piece of candy?" he will say no. In this hand I have a little person that can only tell the truth.

Reach out and grab two little people like this...

I pretend to grab a little person in each hand.

Now in your mind, select the hand the has the liar. During this demonstration, don't forget which hand has the liar. And I will never ask you which hand has the liar.

Excellent, relax your hands for a minute. Tear off a small piece of your napkin and roll it into a ball. As I turn my back place the little ball into one closed hand or the other. Hold both hands in a closed fist above the table. Good. Now recall which hand has the liar.

Let's review. You have not told me which hand holds the liar. Nor do I know which little person has the napkin. Could be the liar. Or it could be the truth teller.

I'm not going to ask for a spokesman like Barrie does. After some pretend concentration, I'm just going to touch one hand of the closest spectator.

I am going to ask the person in the hand I just touched a question. Remember if I am addressing the liar, he must lie and the truth teller must tell the truth. To the hand I just touched "does the liar have the napkin? "

After much mental anguish, I am going to have the spectator place the closed fist that is EMPTY on their lap, keeping the other closed fist above the table. If you don't know which hand is empty then buy this great book for the secret! Repeat for each spectator with plenty of acting and suspense.

At this point, all three specs have one hand above the table.
To recap, no one has told me which hand holds the liar. The hand you hold above the table could be the liar or the truth teller. There is no way I could possibly know as you've never told me or anyone else. And you've never told me which hand holds the ball. I have no way of knowing where the napkin balls are. On the count of 3 you will turn your hand palm up and open it...1....2......3

Each open hand should hold a napkin ball.

I like this idea. You need repetition in order to make the lie detector believable as more than luck. But the repetition could get boring. With the delayed reveal of all three, it seem much more impossible and dramatic.

I would appreciate any feedback before I take this out into the real world.

:)