View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for a mobile phone app for mentalists
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 am 
Penguin

So, suddenly it hit me. An app that one person can send signals to someone else....... wait.. that's called sms...
Noo no, I mean silent signals... a way to instantly make the phone of someone else vibrate through bluetooth so you can send if the mentalist is going correct..

ex.:"hmm, visualise your card, see it vividly... do i see color?" nothing happens, "ahh, no this has a strong contrast, so it must be a black card "phone vibrates"

only thing you need is an accomplice that has seen the card.. maybe someone in the audience.
by connecting through bluetooth you won't have a delay..

but i'm not a programmer.... so does something like this already exist?

Post subject: Re: Looking for a mobile phone app for mentalists
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:23 pm 
Penguin

Great idea, I like the way you think. However...
They already have electronic queing devices that work on the same principal without the use of a phone. The reason being that a phone will occassionally lose signal, drop a call, or just not work in certain areas. Blue tooth is very reliable, but not 100% of the time. An experienced mentalist will have an "out" anyway and be able to deal with loss of signal, but why put something in your set that may not work? If you want to use an electronic queing device then get one designed for that purpose. IMHO. Again, great thinking, but not that practical.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:05 pm 
Penguin

On a stage, while doing a hired performance.. it wouldn't be so handy. But impromptu it's great. My girlfriend is with me a lot of the times and i always have my phone on me. Bluetooth can be set to always pair with certain devices and so when your girlfriend sends a signal it should work (like you said.. it can always have it's problems)

i've found that the power of mprompu is very powerful. People expect to see stuff on stage.. you had time to prepare. With impromptu you can really set your name as the real deal... and when back on stage people will more easily believe you as stronger mentalist.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:58 am 
Penguin

I can see it working absolute miracles on the street. Combine it with a blindfold and look out world!
Check this site out http://www.gsm-earpiece.com/
Truly amazing stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:09 pm 
Penguin

get iforce best and only app you will ever need ever!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:58 pm 
Penguin

shockrock20 wrote:
get iforce best and only app you will ever need ever!

By far the best app I've ever purchased... You will always have an amazing effect at your side. I have gotten alot of mileage out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 am 
Penguin

Bought iforce, seems like a great app, will use it soon!

Also installed 'Remote Vibration', which is an app to send morsecode through bluetooth. You can also just send simple vibrations, amazing app as long as your accomplice is there. As i was on a holiday last week we used it at a Hotel. Crazy reactions.
I let a person just think of a card. To make the trick enjoyable for everyone around her she should find that card in a deck and show it to others. Because i don't know morsecode, I just fished and everytime I had something correct I would feel my phone vibrate..

As soon as I know morsecode (which shouldn't be too hard) people can think of anything, write it down to show others.. done!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:22 am 
Penguin

As soon as you perform ANY effect using a mobile telephone (other than calculator and call effects) if the phone is not borrowed it screams app!

I avoid such things (although modern) it gives the subject an instant reverse engineer and even if you propose to use a calculator on a phone many times people will question the fact that its an app (if the phone is not borrowed).

Just my two pence!

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 pm 
Penguin

thats why i do only three ipod or iphone tricks tops!
i open with i force than i go into ipredict. this brings there phone into play.
i than go into swipit using only there phone! and use the version of swipit to have them dial a number on there phone and than my phone rings!this version can be found on the new dvd paint the roses red. it all builds to a big climax and is all rapped into a nice little routine! i than use there phone to as a craztal to keep them from standing and lifting light objects off the table! much like the one routine derren brown has done!
there is so much you can do when you tell the spectator the phone acts much like a craztal! hypnotism is great! i do full hour shows and i never read a book on it!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:52 pm 
Penguin

Peter_turner1 wrote:
As soon as you perform ANY effect using a mobile telephone (other than calculator and call effects) if the phone is not borrowed it screams app!

I avoid such things (although modern) it gives the subject an instant reverse engineer and even if you propose to use a calculator on a phone many times people will question the fact that its an app (if the phone is not borrowed).

Just my two pence!

Pete

Well I agree to a point... Most magic apps defintately expose method- "it has to be the app" BUT... iforce is the exception to the rule, if presented correctly (isnt that the key to all magic). I find that if the iforce app is used as a simple notepad to record other information that is not used in method .. i.e. "remember your card you selected and write it down" (yes have them use the app!), writing down a forced prediction, psycological forces (see Banacheck), or other uses that make it is clear to the spectator that you are using the app for what they percieve is the intended use of the app then you have effectively conditioned the spectator to accept the app as just an easy way to write down information...you now have a miracle on your hands.
I hope I expressed that clearly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:05 pm 
Penguin

If its a psi force why would they need to write it down?

If they are thinking of a name (any name) again why do they need to write it down? You can guess it with a little imagination.

Have a read of what people thought to the stuff I am performing right now.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... orum=15&60

It makes more logical sense (if you do need someone to write something down) to have them write it on your buisness card, apply a p**k and then they have a souvenier with your phone number on to contact you later should they want to book you.

Presentation is everything,

But....how does asking someone to write something improve with a good presentational angle, its a variable, everytime you add a variable into a routine you offer one more chance to backtrack.

I have explained this before (I think)

A.-------------------------------------------B.

This is the route of real mindreading (never going to happen).

But our job is to get to a-b with as little stops (or variables as possible).

I will point out things that create a psychological buckle in my mind...

If you asked me to think of something and asked me to write it in your phone (even if you pretend to find a slip of paper and pen and cannot or however you decided to present it)

You first have to make an excuse as to why they are writing it (thats a variable)

Then why they have to write it in the phone (thats another variable)

why it has to be your phone (another variable)

why you have to take it back off of them (another variable)

Granted it might be clever, granted it might work like a charm just a little less logical in my opinion than methods that already exist.

Again thats only my opinion.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:33 pm 
Penguin

I've used iforce a few times now today, works really well but people do quickly get suspicious with the phone. So now i use iforce as an introduction and then do the same with a swami. This way they think it's me.. suddenly the phone was just something to write with.

This I only use impromptu. I wouldn't want to use iforce on stage..

the bluetooth morsecode however.... amazing as it's hidden in your pocket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm 
Penguin

Peter_turner1 wrote:
If its a psi force why would they need to write it down?

If they are thinking of a name (any name) again why do they need to write it down? You can guess it with a little imagination.

Have a read of what people thought to the stuff I am performing right now.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... orum=15&60

It makes more logical sense (if you do need someone to write something down) to have them write it on your buisness card, apply a p**k and then they have a souvenier with your phone number on to contact you later should they want to book you.

Presentation is everything,

But....how does asking someone to write something improve with a good presentational angle, its a variable, everytime you add a variable into a routine you offer one more chance to backtrack.

I have explained this before (I think)

A.-------------------------------------------B.

This is the route of real mindreading (never going to happen).

But our job is to get to a-b with as little stops (or variables as possible).

I will point out things that create a psychological buckle in my mind...

If you asked me to think of something and asked me to write it in your phone (even if you pretend to find a slip of paper and pen and cannot or however you decided to present it)

You first have to make an excuse as to why they are writing it (thats a variable)

Then why they have to write it in the phone (thats another variable)

why it has to be your phone (another variable)

why you have to take it back off of them (another variable)

Granted it might be clever, granted it might work like a charm just a little less logical in my opinion than methods that already exist.

Again thats only my opinion.

Pete

Pete-

Perhaps you are missing the point- Simply using the phone as a writing tablet conditions the spectator to think it's just a "green" method of writing something down. Should you use it in every situation? Umm no, usually this is used in an impromtu situation, you always have your phone on you. Just a different way of presenting something impromtu, if you are going to use iforce app then I recommend "conditioning" the spect to think its normal without saying "hey look at this great app that has nothing to do with magic" BTW do you have iforce? And on a side note, your points are excellent and valid, but this thread is based on iphone apps and how to use them properly. IF you must use them at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:04 pm 
Penguin

I alas do not have/use Iforce (I know the inns and outs of it and people that do own it).

I understand your point about neccesity, but I have never been in a situation where someone does not have a pen and a bit of paper (or someone in the close vacinity).

Women always carry eye liner ;)

Speaking of impromptu... I can ask you to think of a name, without you ever writing it down, no fishing I can guess it ;)

Same with playing cards (one after the other) and places (I have a full 30 minute set that requires nothing at all).

Thats one of the main reason I have no use for Iforce. I am not psychic before you think I am pushing at that ;)

The post I listed before goes into more detail than I can at the moment. I think it again comes down to preference, if you like using it don't let me hold you back chaps!

All the best guys,

Pete

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 pm 
Penguin

Peter_turner1 wrote:
Speaking of impromptu... I can ask you to think of a name, without you ever writing it down, no fishing I can guess it ;)

Same with playing cards (one after the other) and places (I have a full 30 minute set that requires nothing at all).

Pete

Really? You either have the holy grail of mentalism on your hands or are you leaving out some critical information? SO, what name am I thinking of right now? oh wait, that's not possible...