View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sound en pencil reading practise
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:51 am 
Penguin

Hey there people,

I was wondering how people here practise pencil and sound reading (if at all). I'm interested in the subject but find it very hard to practise it without blatantly asking people and thus exposing methods. I was wondering if there is any material that could help me with these skills.

Also, how useful is the skill these days? Do you think it could help Mentalists to become much better or do you think the skill is outdated?

Post subject: Re: sound en pencil reading practise
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 am 
Penguin

Everything is an additional skill to have in your arsenal; it has saved may a** loads of times. Get a friend to sit at the side of you don't tell him what you are doing and just ask him to write numbers. have him write the same number a few times (start with 1) and progress to (2) so on and so forth.

The reason not to practice sound reading on your own is you know what number you are writing therefore you can never be wrong. No principle is outdated if you can find a use for it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:23 am 
born to perform.

I actually started practicing on my own. But that is to really focus on the sound of the number I am writing. Then I go to a friend and see how I have progressed. Basically test myself with what Peter said. I have only just begun this skill but I have gotten pretty decent in 1-5 in just a few short weeks. I think I am going to start next with some simple number guessing effects in which I can use a peek of some sort, or I am backed up with a TT writer. Once I get good at those then I plan on relying on the method more and more. My strategy, as it has been with a lot of the bold techniques I have tried, is to try in performance with a more guaranteed method to back it up in case I fail.

Oh one more thing. Be sure to instruct people to write BIG and BOLD. Tiny writing is really hard to distinguish when you are first starting out.

Edit_
Idea! Someone needs to write an App for this. Put on the headphones and listen to some numbers being written. Then take a quiz afterward.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:37 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Idea! Someone needs to write an App for this. Put on the headphones and listen to some numbers being written. Then take a quiz afterward.

This idea of yours is actually the reason why I made this topic. I'm thinking of putting a video package together with different people writing numbers. Different size numbers with top quality sound recording (no background noise). What it will be is that you'll see someone write something and 2 sec later he/she will say what is written. When you place the video's (every video lasts about 3 to 4 sec) in a mediaplayer and then set it on shuffle you cannot learn a pattern but actually have to learn to pencil read or sound read.

Options would be to turn of sound to just learn pencil reading or minimize mediaplayer to just learn sound reading.
Using different people makes sure you learn to read different writing styles.

What do poeple think? would you buy something like that? (price would probably be around 5€)
If something is wanted like this expanded versions could be made so someone cuold learn more then just numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:07 am 
Penguin

Already been done; a friend of mine Chris Rawlins has effects with sound reading and has spent much time recording material for a similar release. It does not mean you should not think of doing something similar although I will tell you it is difficult to get a good sound.

It is a strong tool to have, releasing audio of sounds is almost impossible if you are not well versed in the subject for example the number six, sounds like zero.... The number four can sound like a seven (if they put the little dash through the seven).

There are a lot more similarities than you would expect and there are also tricks for double numbers. Which I shall not go into but you can see how it would be problematic.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:59 am 
Penguin

Peter_turner1 wrote:
Already been done; a friend of mine Chris Rawlins has effects with sound reading and has spent much time recording material for a similar release. It does not mean you should not think of doing something similar although I will tell you it is difficult to get a good sound.

It is a strong tool to have, releasing audio of sounds is almost impossible if you are not well versed in the subject for example the number six, sounds like zero.... The number four can sound like a seven (if they put the little dash through the seven).

There are a lot more similarities than you would expect and there are also tricks for double numbers. Which I shall not go into but you can see how it would be problematic.

Peter

Already done? Interesting, can it be bought somewhere, do you have an URL?
About the sound quality, i've got that covert. A friend of mine owns a sound studio thus giving me the equipment needed. Same with video as I own that equipment myself.

About the problems, yes, that will be a challenge. Do you have any tips or directions to sources how to tackle such issues? I guess pencil + sound reading together would help. Also just guessing but with a backup could work as well "you didn't write a 7 did you? (if yes) yes, i thought so (discart billet) / (if no) No, that's why i wrote down a 4 (show billet)"

Also, what would be preffered? a package of video's and some instructions or an app that can be views on mobile phones and in your browser?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 am 
Penguin

First tip is don't use pencils.

Every material you write on makes a difference in the quality of the sound produced by the tool you are using.

He is still compiling it; I cannot say what effects of his employ the use of this technique as it not social etiquette. Eric (Eostresh) will also be able to confirm that he still uses techniques like this in a unique manner.

I know he is recording them as it is something we are both adding to and I cannot say too much about that as things are subject to change. I will say that things are very much on the move.

I am not saying don't make a video or cd, I would look forward to seeing/hearing it. Just think about where you are going to use this effect and what you are going to use it for (its general use can sometimes be very obvious).

It can be a very reliable tool if yielded correctly, if presented poorly can be painstaking to watch.

If you need anything more I shall do my best to help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:42 pm 
Penguin

Scratch, Scratch.

What number did I just write?